It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Itchy hives ONLY when I visit my boyfriend's family

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 06-04-2017, 07:41 PM   #1
    sjoannjones
    (female)

sjoannjones HB User
    Itchy hives ONLY when I visit my boyfriend's family

Hello,

I am from central Indiana (near Indianapolis) and my boyfriend is from northern Indiana (Elkhart County). I visited his family for the first time in June of 2016-no hives. Visited again later that summer and ended up with some red spots here and there that I thought were just bug bites. Went again in October and had a patch of 8-10 red welts on my buttcheek-thought they were mosquito bites since I slept in my undies (I knew mosquitoes were still out since I got some outside that night, but none on my butt). Went again for Christmas 2016 and got big red bite like welts from my neck to my toes that itched like crazy. We stayed at his dad's house the first night and during breakfast I started itching on my stomach. We went to his mom's the next night and to a cousin's the night after that for a New Year's party. They continued to spread to the rest of my body-up both arms, my left thigh, lower back and both buttcheeks, chest, and feet. At this point, we ruled out bites since I highly doubt I got bit 50+ times. This ONLY happens to me-no one else-no other family/friends that visit. I went to a minute clinic because I was miserable and she concluded that it was hives, but didn't know why and gave me a steroid cream which didn't help. It took over a week for them to go away. I visited again in May-staying only at his mom's house since we thought it was something in his dad's house. I got a few on my feet and leg but we couldn't tell if it was hives or bites since I swell up a lot from mosquito bites. Went again this weekend and stayed at both houses and got them again. I take Benadryl, but it only helps a little bit with itching. Now, having said all that, I have been around or owned cats, dogs, small animals, birds, cows, horses, etc. and NEVER had this happen. I have traveled all over most of the Eastern half of the US and been to the upper Western half as well. I've also been to Europe. Again, never had this happen anywhere except his houses. I've also used all kinds of laundry detergents and softeners throughout my life as well and stayed over at all kinds of friends' houses when I was younger. So basically I've never really been allergic to anything in my life, and definitely not something that caused me to get hives. I'm at a loss as to what this might be. Has this happened to anyone else? Someone suggested dust mites and cigarette smoke as well. My dad smokes, but never around me or in the house. My boyfriend's dad smokes, but not in the house and his mom and stepdad smoke in the house all day long. Any ideas why this is happening? I'm trying to see if I can go to an allergist, but I feel like since it is something so weird/rare, they aren't going to be able to tell me anything and it will be a waste of money. I need some relief or I won't be able to go up there anymore.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
    allergic reaction, hives, unknown cause