It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

Allergy testing confusion

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-17-2017, 12:57 PM   #1
WarsawNan
(female)

WarsawNan HB User
Allergy testing confusion

I have an almost instant reaction to shrimp; throat, tongue and lips swell and are numb for up to 7 hours, intestinal issues, and hives. I also have severe sinus and respiratory problems when the pollen counts are high.

Recently had IgE-RAST testing for allergies. All came back negative. My doctor tried to explain the results to me, but I didn't fully understand why the tests came back negative when I have these allergic reactions every time. He said if I continue to eat shrimp, I'll have the "allergic" reactions, but shrimp won't kill me or cause anaphylactic shock. He said I have a "sensitivity to" rather than an "allergy".

Can someone explain this to me more clearly? Just doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

TIA.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2017, 08:06 PM   #2
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Allergy testing confusion

The blood test is not as sensitive as the skin scratch tests.That's what you should really have as the results of the blood test just simply shows possibilities and not definite allergies. Sensitivities are not true allergies as they don't have the same biological reactions though the outward symptoms may be close. That's why the skin scratch test should be done as it is specific for each item tested for. The blood test just shows allergies or sensitivities within types. Hope this makes more sense,

Old 10-03-2017, 02:53 PM   #3
Jenabel25
(female)

Jenabel25 HB User

Actually the blood test is more sensitive to allergies because it detects the IgE antibody that is released during an allergic reaction. Your blood did not have any and that is why you are not classified as being "allergic." You are intolerant in the same sense that most adults are lactose intolerant. Your body is incacble of either breaking down a protein it contains, has an adverse chemical reaction to it, or one of many different explanations. I hope that clears it up.

Old 10-14-2017, 11:54 AM   #4
Bookwrm71
(female)

Bookwrm71 HB User

I had allergy testing by bloodwork last January and came up negative for everything but dogs.

I was still having problems so the new allergist ordered skin testing. I came up positive for 38 of 50 substances.

I had more bloodwork for food allergies and came back positive for candida, eggs, wheat and milk.

I don't have any allergy symptoms other than my ENT and allergist says I have a lot of inflammation when they look up my nose and my ears have developed ETD. Since medication doesn't work for my ears I am taking allergy shots.

My allergist says he's only had one other patient like me... allergic to everything with no symptoms other than ETD.

When I eliminated all of the foods I was positive for and followed a candida diet I lost a ton of weight, my sinus drainage running all over my face went away, my acid reflux went away and due to the weight loss my cholesterol lowered, my glucose lowered (had been borderline) and I no longer needed BP meds.

Reply Reply

Tags
allergy test, food allergies, pollen allergies