It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

severe seasonal allergies. no relief?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-18-2017, 10:18 AM   #1
rr90
(male)

rr90 HB User
severe seasonal allergies. no relief?

I have lived in Ohio my whole life. Yes, sometimes allergies are bad, but the last couple years have been unbearable. I was tested last year and I was severely allergic to everything but dogs and cats. Among my worse( and by worse I mean more severely allergic) are weeds and molds. I have been on immunotherapy for 9 months with no help yet. I take nasacort, Zytec/Claritan and azestaline. None seem to be helping at all.

My doctor gave me a kenalog 80 steriod shot about 2 to 3 weeks ago. I felt better for a day or two but now i feel it has no effect. I have chronic sinusitis and have had a balloon sinusplasty to help with sinus drainage. My last CT shows my sinuses are clear but i am completely unable to breathe thru my nose.

Right now the end of summer allergies are really hitting me hard. Combination of ragweed and mold from the high humidity. Sometimes September brings me slight relief when the mold counts decrease for a short time, but the ragweed will still get me a while.

My issue is I cant go outside with my nose completely plugging, getting lightheaded and dizzy and trouble breathing. Thankfully I don't have asthma.

Ive heard of some new advanced treatment and I've decided to visit other allergist to get other opinions. I'm maxed out on steroid therapy right now but am looking for recommendations on ways to beat the allergies.

I've recently cut out sugar/carbs knowing they cause a lot of inflammation and I have been taking supplements for such as fish oil, quertecin, bromaline.

I've heard of people who do immunotherapy with high steriod doses with allergen injections within 2 or 3 days and find relief.

Any input from from people in my same boat would be greatly appreciated.

The following user gives a hug of support to rr90:
quincy (08-18-2017)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2017, 10:38 AM   #2
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: severe seasonal allergies. no relief?

Hi...remember that you do need carbohydrates. Just dont eat the emply calorie refined kind.

Have you tried singulair yet?

Have you had a full blood work-up?

Have you had thorough food testing done?

q

Last edited by quincy; 08-18-2017 at 10:39 AM.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:10 AM   #3
rr90
(male)

rr90 HB User

I have not had any blood test done for a little while, none for allergy related stuff, just the standard skin *****. When my allergies are under control, which isn't much I don't have any issues with food. Maybe milk occasionally, but I don't know if that is allergic or I just don't like it. When my seasonal allergies ramp up I get acid reflux and end up taking nexium for a couple months.

Ive decided not to get rid of all carbs, just mostly refined sugars. I still love to eat fruit so i hope l significantly lowering my intake of other carbs will help.

I explained my symptoms to my ENT/Allergist and he gave me the Kenalog shot. When it was not effective he believed I could be having migraines. I have had migraines before and this does not feel like it, it feels like its all allergy related. My immune system is way over worked i'm sure, but I rarely get sick with an "Actual cold".

Last edited by rr90; 08-18-2017 at 11:16 AM.

Old 08-18-2017, 05:37 PM   #4
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

It usually takes a full year or more of the shots before they are effective (they don't really tell you this but I'm on them for the 4th time in my life and that has held true every time.).I will also tell you that the shots don't really work that well for mold allergies. I am severely allergic to all the molds they test for and I am not including them in my shots because I didn't want 2 additional shots every time that probably weren't going to work.

If you haven't had food allergy testing,I strongly suggest you do that as well. I'm pretty sure I'm allergic to corn but have refused testing because I didn't want that many more skin scratches and I'm probably not going to quit eating it!

Reply Reply

Tags
allergies, sinusitis