It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

Allergic to Milk, but not cheese or butter?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-28-2017, 06:02 AM   #1
Penzfan
(female)

Penzfan HB User
Allergic to Milk, but not cheese or butter?

My daughter has an allergy to milk, we just discovered that and an allergist confirmed it, however, she can still eat cheese and butter, isn't that weird? Yesterday, she was at a friends house and ate mac and cheese which was prepared with milk (she knows better) not long after she was vomiting and had diarrhea. I am going to bring this up to the allergist, but can you be allergic to milk and not cheese and butter? I tried giving her lactose free milk and it still caused a problem for her.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2017, 02:54 PM   #2
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Allergic to Milk, but not cheese or butter?

An allergy to milk and lactose intolerance are two different things.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:09 AM   #3
Snoopy61
Senior Veteran
(female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User

Did your Daughter have skin testing done? A true milk allergy is being allergic to milk proteins. Milk proteins are in many things including cheese, butter, many processed foods and more.

Quote:
Yesterday, she was at a friends house and ate mac and cheese which was prepared with milk (she knows better) not long after she was vomiting and had diarrhea.
This sounds like she is Lactose intolerant and not a milk protein allergy.

My son had skin testing done at about 3 years old and milk protein was positive (as well as grass pollen). We had to be very strict about what he could eat. He never reacted by vomiting or having diarrhea.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:49 AM   #4
Penzfan
(female)

Penzfan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy61 View Post
Did your Daughter have skin testing done? A true milk allergy is being allergic to milk proteins. Milk proteins are in many things including cheese, butter, many processed foods and more.

This sounds like she is Lactose intolerant and not a milk protein allergy.

My son had skin testing done at about 3 years old and milk protein was positive (as well as grass pollen). We had to be very strict about what he could eat. He never reacted by vomiting or having diarrhea.

She was skin tested and it was positive for milk allergy. It's just weird that when I gave her lactose free milk that she still reacted by having diarrhea. I will have to take her back and see what exactly is going on. One would think that if you had a milk allergy, that you would also react to cheese and butter.

Thanks!

Old 08-29-2017, 04:30 PM   #5
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

That's not weird because she isn't lactose intolerant. She's allergic to milk. Two different things. I'm not a chemist but there may be some action when it turns into cheese or butter that eliminates the allergy. A trip back to the allergist would be in order.

Reply Reply