It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

Pets for Anaphylaxis Sufferer

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-26-2017, 06:10 AM   #1
abbyjonny
(female)

abbyjonny HB User
Pets for Anaphylaxis Sufferer

Hi All,

I would love to purchase a Betta fish for my daughter. The issue is however, that the majority of their diet consists of shrimp and crab. All of which are ground into fish pellets or flakes. Of course I am deathly allergic to shell fish and Salmon so I could never feed or clean the fish tank. My daughter is 16 and responsible, with gloves she could handle these tasks.

I'm just anxious about bringing "contaminants" such as shrimp, crab and in some fish food brands, salmon into my home. Has anyone in my situation kept fish?

The same could be said for keeping cats as, a lot of cat food brands offer "seafood" as a staple in their diet. Any advice would be fantastic. I've lived with anaphylaxis for 9 years I always carry an Epipen, obsessive hand washer etc..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2017, 06:57 AM   #2
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User
Re: Pets for Anaphylaxis Sufferer

Dear abby,

It doesn't seem at all like a good idea to risk your health for a pet. It doesn't seem to be a good example for your daughter, either.

There are all sorts of other pets than cats or fish. Plus she is sixteen and will soon be preoccupied with work or college or even move out. Lots of well-meaning parents are left with pets their kids just had to have.

Reply Reply