It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Mold

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 09-04-2018, 05:13 PM   #1
    Hannah1492
    (female)

Hannah1492 HB UserHannah1492 HB User
    Mold

Having a problem with bathroom mold. My roommate has sinusitis problem and I began having sinus problems also. Our bathroom has no window, the fan barely pulls and she constantly closes the bathroom door. She barely speaks English and when she finally put mold in her language converter she thought the picture was of dirt, end of the conversation and continued door closing.

I started spraying vinegar everywhere but it led to more door closing because of the smell.

I work with patients and have had to stop a procedure to wipe my nose which swells and is runny. Antihistamines, nose rinsing, flonase have no effect.

I just put some water on the floor because it had a sticky feel after a shower. I mopped it up but in 2 hours the bathroom stank with moldy, mildew smell. Of course the bathroom door was shut after I cleaned.

What do I do? Do I need to see a doctor? The mold is green, looks black where it is thick. Should I buy rags and dry every wet surface? I put my air purifier in, it says it can pick up spores and makes the room better. But I'm criticized for running up the electric bill.

I only take 2 showers a week because of this problem. Moving is hopefully in my future..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2018, 05:35 PM   #2
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: Mold

Dear Hannah,

What can a doctor do if you don't get out of there?
    Be sure to document it all, for whatever possible reason.

Wear a face mask when there, and move out ASAP. That's all I can recommend. Staying for any reason kind of makes it appear that you see no real danger.

Can your septic system and the area deal with you spraying bleach on the mold?
    If that is not your house, you need to get permission first.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:10 AM   #3
    Hannah1492
    (female)

Thanks for replying YaYagirl. I will probably be moving in 4-6 weeks. I read something interesting that mold requires something that was alive to live on. It's food is stuff like dead skin and soap scum. I found a neat little brush to scrub with and read 10% bleach can help and drying the bathroom.

It has struck me as weird that I'm not even showering and mold lives on and on. My towels smell moldy and I stopped keeping them in the bathroom out of fear.

The mask is a great idea. After I'm in the bathroom a few minutes my sinuses start burning and my nose is runny, lately the symptoms stay with me all day. I feel bad for the next roommate in that bathroom.

Old 09-05-2018, 08:26 AM   #4
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

Hi Hannah,

You're welcome.
    Sometimes if we get some feedback then we think of other ways to help ourselves.

Yes, health is always supported by cleanliness. Mold is in the air and grows on any warm damp surface. Kitchens & bathrooms are notorious for germs and mold and must be regularly cleaned. An old toothbrush helps get into crevices. No matter where you live, expect to need to do that kind of cleaning. Moisture can build inside on windows too and we need to make sure to regularly clean window sills.

You will always need to pay attention to those details no matter where you live. It's not as hard to do in a cool, dry climate as it is in a warm, moist climate.

It may be that your roommate doesn't know how to handle the mold issue. It's something we each are responsible for, no matter where we live.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:26 AM   #5
    Hannah1492
    (female)

It's really hard for me. When I moved in I had a torn trapezius on the left and a torn bicep on the right, arthritis in both shoulders. Falling injuries because my feet are injured as well as asthma so I can only use odorless soap to clean.

Some people are really into door closing then when one of them gets sick the whole household gets sick from the spread of infection on the doorknobs.

Last edited by Administrator; 06-22-2019 at 09:12 AM.

Old 06-22-2019, 08:40 AM   #6
    XBOX4EVR
    (male)

XBOX4EVR HB User

Mold is bad and can destroy your immune system get away from it. As far away as possible.

Reply Reply