It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• They say acid reflux can actually be allergies?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 09-06-2018, 06:37 PM   #1
    smokeymtnrain
    Veteran
    (female)

smokeymtnrain HB Usersmokeymtnrain HB Usersmokeymtnrain HB User
    They say acid reflux can actually be allergies?

Its called eosinophils something (EOE) and I thought I have been dealing with reflux but the other makes sense too. Has anyone heard of that? I take claritin and singulair as needed but it really doesn't seem to help. I have chronic sinusitis and post nasal drip. I don't want to mask it with meds, but I want to treat the core issue as naturally as I can. I'm just curious, how miserable can allergies really make you? I have asthma but with my allergies, I don't get the typical sneezing, running/stuffy nose..mine seems to more affect my breathing and now, the minor burning feeling in my throat. Kind of like exhaling warm air. I am pretty sensitive to perfumes and air fresheners and any fumes from cars. So do you think that acid reflux could really be allergies? I do get ear pressure also which I have had for months. I don't drink enough water on a daily basis but trying to get better at it.

Last edited by smokeymtnrain; 09-06-2018 at 06:43 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2018, 06:48 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: They say acid reflux can actually be allergies?

Where to start? Sorry you've been treating reflux when it's actually been allergies!

First, antihistamines do not "mask" allergies. They actually block the body's response. You can take them forever and not have any negative impact.

Second, claritin is the mildest antihistamine. You may need something stronger that works quicker. zyrtec works for many people. Also, singulair has to get in your system over the course of time so isn't good short term either. if those are the only ones you are taking, you would most likely need to take them daily if you don't want to switch to a stronger one.

Third,have you had allergy testing? Considered injections?

Fourth, have you tried a nasal spray or nasal inhaler? QNasl works well for me. Others like Flonase.

I strongly suggest an in depth conversation with your immunologist (allergist) about all your options. Good luck!

Old 09-07-2018, 09:58 AM   #3
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

No...acid reflux is caused by a mechanical dysfunction of the sphincter that is at the esophagus and stomach junction. Allergic reaction can feel like reflux, however.

q

Old 09-07-2018, 12:45 PM   #4
    smokeymtnrain
    Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by quincy View Post
    No...acid reflux is caused by a mechanical dysfunction of the sphincter that is at the esophagus and stomach junction. Allergic reaction can feel like reflux, however.

q
    How can you tell if it's acid reflux or allergies? I probably need to do something to help the allergies because since menopause, they have magnified something terrible but really, my only symptoms are my asthma triggering off from smells that irritate my nose. I get the post nasal drip and my nose is a little bit stuffy but I can still breathe through my nose and then I have ear pressure on one side that I have had for months now and thought getting a cyst removed that was just right inside of the ear lobe would have taken care of it but its since been healed up and I still have pressure in that ear. I have a deviated septum (which a lot of people do) so I don't really know how to tell the difference between acid reflux and allergies.

Old 09-07-2018, 01:37 PM   #5
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Acid reflux and allergies are two totally different things which can have similar feelings in your throat. The only way to tell the difference is to get tested. A GI doctor can test for reflux- usually with an endoscopy. An allergist can test for allergies with skin tests...unfortunately, you really shouldn't be treating either one until you know for sure what is wrong with you. PPIs and other drugs for acid reflux have allot of side effects, and taking antihistamines if you dont need them, isnt good for your body either. Please see a GI doctor or an allergist and get to the root of your problem before you start taking any other drugs.

Old 09-07-2018, 06:52 PM   #6
    smokeymtnrain
    Veteran
    (female)

Can an ENT Dr do an edoscopy? Are you in the hospital for that?

Old 09-08-2018, 08:10 AM   #7
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

ENTs do not do endoscopies...it is a digestive system issue- which is what reflux is. You need to see a gastroenterologist ( a GI doctor).

My office has their own endoscopy suite- which is attached, and not in the hospital. The test took 10 minutes; however, you are put under twilight anesthesia, so you cannot drive home from it. It was absolutely nothing to have done- zero pain- and I was at the gym 8 hours later and back at work the next day.

Old 09-08-2018, 12:11 PM   #8
    smokeymtnrain
    Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
    ENTs do not do endoscopies...it is a digestive system issue- which is what reflux is. You need to see a gastroenterologist ( a GI doctor).

My office has their own endoscopy suite- which is attached, and not in the hospital. The test took 10 minutes; however, you are put under twilight anesthesia, so you cannot drive home from it. It was absolutely nothing to have done- zero pain- and I was at the gym 8 hours later and back at work the next day.
    Oh ok. Hopefully everything came out great. Did they tell you your results of the test right then? What does twilite mean when they put you out? Is it similar to being put out when getting a colonoscopy?

Old 05-12-2019, 07:42 PM   #9
    danabarb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokeymtnrain View Post
    How can you tell if it's acid reflux or allergies? I probably need to do something to help the allergies because since menopause, they have magnified something terrible but really, my only symptoms are my asthma triggering off from smells that irritate my nose. I get the post nasal drip and my nose is a little bit stuffy but I can still breathe through my nose and then I have ear pressure on one side that I have had for months now and thought getting a cyst removed that was just right inside of the ear lobe would have taken care of it but its since been healed up and I still have pressure in that ear. I have a deviated septum (which a lot of people do) so I don't really know how to tell the difference between acid reflux and allergies.
    When I had my deviated septum, which I did not know I had, fixed, I could breathe much better and to this day have no trouble. Before that, I had headaches and had a horrible time breathing through my nose.

Reply Reply