It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

Oral immunotherapy & Dermographism

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-02-2018, 07:25 AM   #1
pdiddy55
(male)

pdiddy55 HB User
Oral immunotherapy & Dermographism

Hi all, first post, so please bear with me.

I've had allergies all my life, or should I say dermographism. I have taken anti histamines all my life as I understood this was pretty much all I could do. I'm now 38 and as a child I did have a number of allergy tests undertaken by the Doctor only to be told 'I'm a sensitive individual' and I was allergic to evertyghing. It was never confirmed that food caused the skin condition, which I've always suspected. I was once told it was psychosomatic - believe it or not.

I have recently had a number of allergies and intolerances retested via an online company (name slips my mind). The reason for this as I've recently discovered I have Ankylosing Spondylitus (AS ) which is exceptionally debilitating. There are a number of people with the condition who have had success with diet restrictions and their symptoms subsiding. AS is an autoimmune disease (like Rheumatoid athritus), again linked to the immune system liked dermographism. As such I thought I'd attempt to eliminate foods I'm allergic to in the hope my AS goes into remission (something that isn't possible according to professionals). Based on what's been tested, I am apparently allergic to: Tomatoes, Potatoes (possibly all nightshade), Carrots, Peaches, apples, hazelenuts. I have a severe intolerance to cow's milk, casein and eggs (although no allergies to these).

I have began an elimination diet and found that my dermographism has definitely improved however It does remain, just considerably milder. I suspect there are cross reactivity foods I'm still consuming which I need to seen an allergist about. The reason for this post is two fold:

1. Has anybody connected their dermatographism to food intake and had any joy in curing themselves from this condition through elimination

2. Has anybody had oral immunotherapy and had any joy/success in curing their allergies? I understand only intolerances can be cured through elimination and reintroduction (could be wrong).

3. Does anyone have any experience, success or even insight regarding the leaky gut theory re: dermographism.

I find it exceptionally hard to believe why so many people are allergic to natural/normal foods.

Thanks all. Looking forward to further discussions on the above.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2018, 10:27 AM   #2
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Oral immunotherapy & Dermographism

When I was 9 I had asthma and was tested by a doctor for allergies. As a result the doctor said I was allergic to house dust. About 4 or 5 years later I no longer had asthma and I doubt I am allergic to any kind of dust.

A couple of times I ate a large amount of cooked spinach and became itchy on one side of my face. But now I find if I moderate my consumption, I no longer have a problem.

About leaky gut: This is something you should avoid whether you have dermographism or not. It's a very unhealthy condition of the bowel or colon wall. From what I understand it is mostly due to what a person consumes orally. It could be antibiotics, other prescription drugs or a diet consisting of many highly processed foods. In other words, anything that disrupts the healthy environment of microorganisms in the gut. You would need to eat mostly natural, high fiber, whole foods, to promote a healthy community of microorganisms in the gut. If you're not allergic to (intact) whole grains, try to include at least one serving with each meal. This, in turn, will promote a healthy immune system because your immune system is largely dependent on the health of your gut.

Microorganisms in your gut feed on fiber and animal protein doesn't contain any fiber. So if you're on a high protein/low carb diet like Atkins or Paleo it's a good bet that you're not getting enough fiber in your diet. The average person only gets about 12 grams of fiber per day but should get about 25 grams to be healthy.

By the way, speaking of avoiding processed foods, I would also avoid consuming alcohol.

Last edited by JohnR41; 11-02-2018 at 10:46 AM.

Old 11-04-2018, 09:08 AM   #3
pdiddy55
(male)

pdiddy55 HB User

Hi John, thanks for your response.

I, like you, have outgrown some allergies I think. I was allergic to dust too, and cat dander. Certainly not indicated on any recent tests undertaken.

Do you have a histamine intolerance, as I notice you react to lots of spninach?

This leaky gut theory is a bit of a mindfield. I've found many sites suggesting you avoid starchy foods such as potato and then then reccomend eating sweet potato (which is also starchy). Some what contradictory I think. Likewise, I've found some sites suggesting avoiding all grains such as wheat and oats and others encouraging that they help with overall bioflora. Lots of websites pushing books and supplements too - sigh.

The reason I was avoiding starchy foods is that they apparently encourage/feed Klebsiella bacteria resistant which lives in the gut and this can cause problems for some with ankylosing spondylitus. Apparently they feed of the starchy foods. It's a mind field too!

Yes you are right I am affectively on a low carb diet, although I've been eating sourdough bread today so I lasted all of 5 days (pretty poor effort really).

I used to be on lots of anti biotics as a kid (before I had tonsils and adenoids out). I do like a good drink but I've managed to cut it out for 2 weeks thus far.

I think I might see a FODMAP allergist to provide some direction as I'd love to eliminate my dermographism to ascertain if it's linked to the AS. It's gets even more complicated when you need to think about foods with high histamine, cross reactivity of foods, allergies and intolerances. I find it all a bit overwhelming tbh.

Old 11-05-2018, 07:33 AM   #4
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiddy55 View Post

This leaky gut theory is a bit of a mindfield. I've found many sites suggesting you avoid starchy foods such as potato and then then reccomend eating sweet potato (which is also starchy). Some what contradictory I think. Likewise, I've found some sites suggesting avoiding all grains such as wheat and oats and others encouraging that they help with overall bioflora. Lots of websites pushing books and supplements too - sigh.
I avoid eating white potatoes too, mainly because I don't see much benefit from eating them. If I do decide to buy some, I will buy the small size (organic) potatoes and just eat one small one boiled. I do eat sweet potatoes but only a very small portion with a meal, about a quarter of a cup.

Quote:
The reason I was avoiding starchy foods is that they apparently encourage/feed Klebsiella bacteria resistant which lives in the gut and this can cause problems for some with ankylosing spondylitus. Apparently they feed of the starchy foods. It's a mind field too!
You might try intact grains to see if you get a better result: For example, I don't use anything made from flour. I buy things like Ameranth, steel-cut oats and Buckwheat Groats from my local health food store and whole wheat berries from Fresh Market. Occasionally I will buy a loaf of flourless bread made from seven grain sprouts. These are much healthier choices, in my opinion, and all of the above items are organic, except the sweet potatoes.

Last edited by JohnR41; 11-05-2018 at 07:45 AM.

Reply Reply