It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Postnasal drip and white areas on my throat

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 01-30-2020, 04:42 PM   #1
    marip1
    (female)

marip1 HB User
    Postnasal drip and white areas on my throat

Last 2 weeks been having a sore throat. I do have allergies. At times I can feel the mucous dripping in the throat. I went to the ENT to make sure it wasn't Strep, since I noticed I have white areas on my throat. He looked in the throat and told me the throat was sore from dryness and postnasal drip. No Strep. I asked him about the white areas on my throat and he gave me this crazy answer the areas are white because of lack of blood flow to the area. I'm going to seek a 2nd opinion about the white areas. Doesn't make sense to me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2020, 04:47 PM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Postnasal drip and white areas on my throat

There really isnt any way anyone can identify if white areas are strep or not without doing a strep test....go see your primary doctor, or even go to a walkin clinic- either can preform a Strep test and find out.

It does make sense that if you have post nasal drip and allergies that your throat may be dry- but not white. Get that second opinion and I hope you feel better soon!

Old 01-31-2020, 10:59 AM   #3
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Postnasal drip and white areas on my throat

Is it bright white spots or a large area that looks blanched/ absent of colour rather than something on there like thick mucus?

Are you on antihistamine medication?...because they can cause mucosal areas to become very dry. Second consult sounds a good plan....request a swab of that area and hopefully a scope lower in your throat.

q

Reply Reply