It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Could these issues be allergy related?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 05-23-2020, 03:30 PM   #1
    geepondy
    (male)

geepondy HB User
    Could these issues be allergy related?

I've had the following symptoms, all starting this year.

Starting either late last year or early this year. Sweat in my eyes for whatever reason burns much worse than before.

Starting roughly mid March, lingering "cold like" symptoms, mainly nasal in nature including mild runny nose, post-nasal drip, mild chest congestion, on and off sore throat (mainly in the night). Some sneezing and slight coughing when they are at their worst but not prevalent. This all but went away a few weeks ago but now has returned to some extent.

Starting Easter weekend, two things roughly at the same time. 1) Hot flashes and night sweats but no fever. Can go a few days without having and then can suddenly return 2) Shortness of breath, coming and going, feels like a pressure on the chest. This was fairly acute for two weeks and largely got better but still comes and goes a bit. At the advise of my doctor, used an albuterol inhaler but don't think it has much effect. No history of asthma.

This all is very perplexing to me and scary in this age of Covid. Was tested for Covid the week after Easter and was negative. The hot flashes and night sweats especially make me nervous but never a fever even in the middle of an episode, although the temperature may rise a tiny bit (normally seems to be 97.5-98.0 or so). I'm also suffering from anxiety if that can somehow be related but I can wake up to a hot flash and wet pillow case but not having an anxiety attack. Have started a small dose of Lexapro but the hot flashes started before that so don't think they can be attributed to the med. Thus far have only video chatted with health professionals. I did do a round of prednisone which did not really help with the breathing but certainly added to the anxiety.

Any thoughts appreciated. Can provide more detailed info if requested. Not good timing in this age of Covid!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2020, 06:58 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Could these issues be allergy related?

Definitely could be allergies. Why not try zyrtec or another antihistamine for a few days and see if it helps?

Old 05-23-2020, 08:13 PM   #3
    geepondy
    (male)

geepondy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
    Definitely could be allergies. Why not try zyrtec or another antihistamine for a few days and see if it helps?
    Thank you. I took Zytec at the beginning and now with the flare up again but am only on day 2.

Ever hear of allergies causing hot flashes? Can you take Zytec and flonase at the same time?

Old 05-24-2020, 05:13 AM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

You didn't mention the Flonase. It never worked for me. Every one is different. And I was on Flonase and zyrtec at the same time but I would ask your pharmacist as they know what all you are taking.

Old 05-24-2020, 07:34 AM   #5
    geepondy
    (male)

geepondy HB User

I haven't tried the Flonase yet but it was suggested to me. This is so weird. For months on end, I can pull up mucus from my throat to some degree at any given moment. Along with the hot flashes, still occasional breathing issues, it makes me Covid nervous but I would think even if for some reason the negative test was false, the test was April 15, so can't imagine it would linger that long.

Thank you for your reply.

Quote:
    You didn't mention the Flonase. It never worked for me. Every one is different. And I was on Flonase and zyrtec at the same time but I would ask your pharmacist as they know what all you are taking.

Old 05-24-2020, 09:18 AM   #6
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Well, since it's a prescription and zyrtec or allegra etc. are OTC, I'd give one of them a try. That stuff in the throat is post nasal drip (PND) and I have it a lot. That's one of the signs for allergy issues.

Old 05-24-2020, 03:31 PM   #7
    geepondy
    (male)

geepondy HB User

The soreness in the throat doesn't go down that deep and extends to the rear part of the roof mouth. Is irritated more easily by drinking acidic drinks like OJ and Kambucha. Contrast that to the time I had strep when it was a raw soreness much deeper in the throat. Does this still sound like PND?

Wish I could determine cause of hot flashes. I just turned 57 and never had like this before. Because of Covid, the docs don't seem to want to see me in person unless the crap really hits the fan. Most of my treatment and diagnosis has been with a NP via video chat.

Quote:
    Well, since it's a prescription and zyrtec or allegra etc. are OTC, I'd give one of them a try. That stuff in the throat is post nasal drip (PND) and I have it a lot. That's one of the signs for allergy issues.

Old 05-25-2020, 05:26 AM   #8
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

The sore throat from PND will be in the area you cite. The drainage can accumulate lower in the throat. When things are better here I suggest you see an allergist for proper testing. And yes, men can have hot flashes!

Reply Reply