It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Immunotherapy, hive and excessive fatigue/hunger

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 05-25-2020, 07:07 PM   #1
    OutsiderWithin

OutsiderWithin HB User
    Immunotherapy, hive and excessive fatigue/hunger

This my 4th round of immunotherapy in the past 20 years. I am currently getting 1 shot weekly and this week is the third week in a row I've gotten a reaction (one hive at the injection site). The first week I had 1 hive in the injection site that grew to about 8 cm over the course of 3 days. The following week, I took Reactine prescription-strength prior to the shot and had very little reaction.

It's all a bit strange because I do not have any typical allergy symptoms (itchy eyes, nasal congestion etc.). I just get really tired and can't function. Summers are usually a complete daze for me.

This week, I took Reactine prior to the shot and the injection point has a hive spread about 8cm. I'm also extremely drowsy (I sound and move like I'm drunk) and find it difficult to wake up most days. Today, I felt a bit winded and decided to take my blue inhaler which just made me feel like someone was sitting on my chest. Lastly, I have this hunger that I can't seem to satisfy. I'm eating constantly. This started last night.

What the heck is going on? I'm not sure if the Reactine is causing the drowsiness or what. I do know that I can't have the same or stronger strength of injections next week.

Just trying to make sense of this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2020, 04:28 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Immunotherapy, hive and excessive fatigue/hunger

I've done the shots 4 times over about 45 years. I never really had reactions the first two times.. Third time I had a few. Never took an antihistamine before the shots. This time around I'm getting 3 shots, take a Zyxal before and by that evening or the next day the reaction area is about 5 inches on the arm I get 2 shots in and slightly less on the one shot arm (That shot has all 10 molds in it). I take a zyrtec in the evening the day of the shots. They don't seem to think this is unusual and I don't feel any tiredness. I do know that some people do get drowsy on the zyrtec (reactine) but I never have. FYI, besides the shots I take a zyrtec EVERY day...and somethings Zyxal if I'm having an allergy attack. All of this is to say that your situation sounds normal and you may want to adjust when you take your meds...maybe night before and evening after. Or switch to a different one.

Old 05-26-2020, 08:15 AM   #3
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Hi OutsiderWithin!

Quote:
    I just get really tired and can't function. Summers are usually a complete daze for me. ... I'm also extremely drowsy (I sound and move like I'm drunk) and find it difficult to wake up most days.
    My understanding of allergies and/or chemical sensitivities (MCS) is that, when our immune system recognizes a "false" threat (trigger), hormones are produced, sometimes in excess, to protect out body from the "false" threat(s). These hormones have side effects such as lethargy and mental fogginess.

One can improve their immune system reaction by desensitizing their immune systems to the false threats.

There are two approaches to desensitizing our immune systems from false threats, Subcutaneous immunotherapy (SCIT) which is injections and sublingual immunotherapy (SLIT) where allergen drops are placed under the tongue.

I've had some success with injections (SCIT), but my favorite and most success has come from doing my own at home SLIT, which I posted about, back in 2009, in the thread: Sublingual Immunotherapy at the link: https://www.healthboards.com/boards/allergies/724588-sublingual-immunotherapy.html

Regards, and best of luck, Bob

⇒ 900 weight lifts, 750 weighted knee bends, bike daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-09-2020, 07:45 PM   #4
    danabarb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

Could this problem be due to the allergy medication you are taking? I know some can do that.

Reply Reply

Tags
    drowsiness, hives, hunger