It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Acai allergy? (26F)

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-15-2020, 06:55 PM   #1
    Proverbs18v14

Proverbs18v14 HB User
    Acai allergy? (26F)

A little over a month ago, I experienced a very scary episode. I had bought some acai berry puree packets at the grocery store frozen section. I like to try new things and have never had any serious problems with allergies. So I thought nothing of trying this fruit for the first time. I put it on some yogurt and ate a few bites. The yogurt wasn't too good, so then I decided to drink the thawed acai berry puree straight from the packet. I swallowed three sips and then suddenly, my throat airway constricted. It was very difficult to breathe and felt like I was breathing through a straw. I was audibly wheezing. I tried to drink water and got 2 sips down. But then I couldn't swallow the 3rd sip and had to spit it out. I couldn't talk. I signaled for my parents to take me to the hospital. The severe throat constriction lasted for at most 1 minute. I was terrified and could feel all the adrenaline that my body released. I was still worried about my airway, so I took about 50mg of chewable benadryl and went to the hospital.
    They looked in my airway and saw no swelling. But the ER doctor did think it was an allergy. I was given IV corticosteroids and famotidine. I was also discharged with an Epipen and prednisone tablets to take for the next dew days.
    I have now become terrified of eating things, particularly fruits and vegetables! I have not eaten any berries since this episode. I feel I have gotten extreme PTSD from this. I get around 2 anxiety attacks a day and its killing me! I feel like my throat might be constricting again and that my breathing might be impaired. I get so scared. It is the most terrible and terrifying experience. I have found that taking benadryl calms my anxiety, but I know this effect will wear off if I keep taking it!
    I've taken desvenlafaxine 50mg for depression and anxiety for around 2 yrs. Ive been on spironolactone 100mg for acne for about 2 months so far.
    I'm not sure what to do. I was thinking about getting allergy testing, but they say you need to be off of benadryl for at least 7 days before testing. And I keep ruining the 7 day window because of my anxiety and feeling like I need benadryl.
    I have researched the episode and it seems very similar to a laryngospasm... The only other allergies I have encountered was when I ate coconut curry duck at a Thai restaurant. I got sweaty mid-meal and had to throw it up...
    So do you guys think this was an acai allergy? What do you think I should do? I'm wondering if the SNRI (desvenlafaxine) is making my anxiety worse than if I just was on an SSRI...? I have been on an SSRI (Lexapro) before, but it quickly stopped helping my anxiety and depression...
    I have also lost a lot of weight in the last 6 months and am no longer in the obese category anymore. I still have weight to lose, of course, and I am working on it by trying to eat around 1000 calories a day...
    Ugh, there is so much to say. Please help me. May my God bless you for your kind answers to me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply