It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Dust Allergy

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 11-11-2021, 08:56 AM   #1
    Saramiller22

Saramiller22 HB User
    Dust Allergy

Hi all,

I am 39years. Just recently, my nose started running regularly and I started experiencing very frequent sneezing.

I went to the doctor and was told that there is a clear indication of dust allergy. Subsequently, I rearranged all my furniture, removed all dust collecting objects and washed all bed linens at more than 60 degrees.

However, since then my condition has not improved. I normally would sneeze around 70 times a day. Particularly, in the morning hours.

Of course, the doctors had prescribed me drugs. But I would like to see what the experience of others with this condition has been.

If anybody has the same condition, please let me know.

Thanks

Sara

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2021, 11:21 PM   #2
    Harii
    (female)

Harii HB User
    Re: Dust Allergy

This is really difficult and you would try some other option I went to the doctor and was told that there is a clear indication of dust allergy. Subsequently, I rearranged all my furniture, removed all dust collecting objects and washed all bed linens at more than 60 degrees.

Old 11-12-2021, 12:03 AM   #3
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

You need yo stop the cycle of reaction...what med were you prescribed and why do you not want to take it?

q

Old 11-12-2021, 02:53 AM   #4
    Saramiller22

Saramiller22 HB User

Hi,

Thanks for getting back:

One doctor subscribed Claritine.

Also also have to add that my allergy is (in my view) heavy: There are hours when I need to blow my nose every 3 minutes (like right now when I am writing these message).

Interestingly, sometime only my left nostril is stuffy. So either both nostrils are stuffy (blocked) or only my left one. But the left one has never been free.

Apart from the fact that in Covid times having a constantly running nose is a very uncomfortable situation, the allergy affects my sleep as I always have to breath through my mouth while sleeping. However, while sleeping, sometimes I would move nose breathing which subsequently would make me wake up.

I am prepared to travel to another location / region to try out if the different environment would change my condition.

Old 11-12-2021, 04:37 AM   #5
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

You need to undestand about allergies. You can get allergies at any time in life. It's almost impossible to rid your home and other surroundings from dust mites. Having them does not mean that your home or surroundings are dirty. There are several excellent OTC antihistamines such as Allegra, Zyrtec, etc.. Some people report Zyrtec making them drowsy but most don't. Those that do usually take it at bedtime. Iam almost 76 and have had allergies all my life. I've been on antihistamines since I was a preteen. I am on allergy shots for the 4th time in my life....3 shots every month. Take the antihistamines. At first do it every day. Once it's under control, try every other day to see if you still get relief. If you start having trouble in the spring, I strongly suggest seeing an immunologist (allergy doc) for testing. Over 50% of the population has allergies of some sort. Welcome to the group!

Old 11-12-2021, 08:47 AM   #6
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

When I was 9 I had my first asthma attack and was tested for allergies and the doctor said I was allergic to "house dust". Years later I found that I was not when I was exposed to all kinds of dust at work. And by age 13 or 14 I no longer had asthma.

You might find this interesting: Back around 2004 I had a neighbor who said she would start sneezing if she ate too much. I could hardly believe it. But we belonged to a neighborhood group that would go out to eat once a month, and sure enough, she would start sneezing at the end of big meal.

I guess that was her system telling her that she had enough.

Whenever I'm out somewhere (in public) and someone comes along wearing some kind of perfume, I don't really give it any thought until I start sneezing. The first couple of times I didn't think it was the perfume. I just thought it was a coincidence. But, after a few times, I now think it is just a certain kind of perfume because I don't sneeze at all perfumes.

Old 11-12-2021, 09:26 AM   #7
    Saramiller22

Saramiller22 HB User

Dear John,

Thanks a lot for this "food for thought".

A actually had the same idea in mind: My body's reaction is probably a way to tell that there is too much of something, or something is missing.

I will review what I have been using regularly and will stop it... let us see what will happen.

I am sure there are even many things I have been doing/consuming daily which I am not even aware of because it has become such a routine to me.

Old 11-12-2021, 10:15 AM   #8
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Saramiller22 View Post
    ... I went to the doctor and was told that there is a clear indication of dust allergy.
    Clear indication of dust allergy? He is just guessing. Many people are allergic to dust, so your doctor gives his "professional" opinion that it is a dust allergy.

On the other hand, there are many triggers of allergies, including dust. How your body reacts is based on your allergy load. Let's say that you have allergies to ten different triggers. You might not have a significant allergic reaction unless you are exposed to at least five of them. However, if one or two are significant triggers, then all it takes is one or two of them.

You can either go to an allergist and get tested for allergy triggers, or try to improve your allergy situation through a series of eliminations.

I once had an allergist who would give me "standard" allergy immunization shots that addressed the most common triggers in my area. They seemed to help me.

My allergies, my asthma and my health also improved by doing my own experiments, at home, with Sublingual Immunotherapy (SLIT), where I placed a tiny, tiny amount of allergen under my tongue. I documented my experiments on the following thread.

Sublingual Immunotherapy

The link is:

https://www.healthboards.com/boards/allergies/724588-sublingual-immunotherapy.html

⇒ Do it yourself SLIT greatly improved my asthma
    ⇒ I make my own dentures with moldable plastic pellets. Saves me $$$
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

⇒ 900 weight lifts, 750 weighted knee bends, bike daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-17-2021, 05:31 AM   #9
    Saramiller22

Saramiller22 HB User

Hi all,

update on my part:

It is not clear if my condition is really caused by a dust allergy. The fact that only half of my head (left side) is affected can be caused by another reason (as you correctly stated earlier).

Next step for me is to get a DVT of my head to (hopefully) exclude a sever trigger in there.

Reply Reply