It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Itching all over body, no rash, Positive ANA

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 01-12-2022, 02:25 PM   #1
    CHK
    (female)

CHK HB User
    Itching all over body, no rash, Positive ANA

In March of 2021, my blood pressure went whacky and I ended up on 320 mg daily of Valsartan before it came down. All was well, I thought. But in June I started itching. Just a mild itch on my shoulders but over the weeks and months the itching spread until I itched nearly everywhere. It was a very slow gradual thing--more of an annoyance--and I did what they tell you to do: change to sunscreen for sensitive skin, use more moisturizer, use moisturizer for sensitive skin, change bath products, change hair products, check for bugs, change laundry detergent/fabric softener. I stopped going to the pool for a month and that didn't make any difference (itching actually got worse during that period). I made multiple trips to the dermatologist who prescribed cortisone creams which had zero effect. Never any rash at any time!

The itching intensified until I could no longer sleep. It was maddening! Finally I got to the bottom of the "possible causes of itching" and saw blood pressure meds listed. Stopped the Valsartan immediately and within days the itching was reduced by half--but did not go away. My primary care doctor ordered all sorts of blood tests and all "were perfect" except for a positive ANA with a score of 1:640. He wants me to see a Rheumatologist for possible Lupus.

So what does this mean?? I'm taking Prednisone and the itching is almost gone. I have zero symptoms of Lupus or anything else as far as I know. I walk 2 to 4 miles a day 4 or 5 days a week, swim for an hour 4 times a week, have no joint pains, no rash, no other problems that are apparent. Has anyone else experienced this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2022, 04:35 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Itching all over body, no rash, Positive ANA

You don't say how old you are but people over 65 can have positive ANA tests with no underlying condition. Going to a rheumatologist could help determine what, if anything, is going on.

Old 01-13-2022, 07:04 AM   #3
    CHK
    (female)

CHK HB User

Thanks for the reply. Sorry I forgot to mention my age--I'm 75, female. And I do have an appointment with a Rheumatologist but not until mid-February. Hopefully, they will be able to nail down the reason for the itching. I've been trying to wean off of the Prednisone but even at 10 mg once a day the itching starts back up in the evening. My PCP said to bump up the Prednisone by 10 mg is the itching gets worse but I really don't like the idea of regulating my own dosing.

Old 01-13-2022, 05:31 PM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Is there some reason that you never tried Zyrtec?

Old 01-14-2022, 07:05 AM   #5
    CHK
    (female)

CHK HB User

I've taken Zyrtec every night for years. My PCP had me taking Zyrtec plus 2 benedryl plus an RX med called Hydroxyzine HCL (two 25 mg) all at the same time--with zero effect. I've used every topical anti itch cream, lotion, gel on the market and every anti itch moisturizer as well. I use nothing that is perfumed or scented and all products for laundry, etc are for sensitive skin. It's nothing I'm coming into contact with unfortunately since that would be such a simple fix.

Old 01-16-2022, 12:51 PM   #6
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Itching as well as hives can be a presenting symptom of lupus. Your ANA titer is significant, not just borderline, so seeing a rheumatologist is a good idea. You can have just 1-2 symptoms initially as the autoimmune disorders often take months or even years to present a full picture. The itching can usually be controlled with medications. Be sure in the meantime to avoid the sun, as that can make it far worse.

Old 01-16-2022, 03:27 PM   #7
    CHK
    (female)

CHK HB User

I guess the one thing in my favor is that whatever I happen to have, I'll get diagnosed very early. Just might take a while. In the meantime, I've managed to get down to 10 mg of prednisone per day for the last 2 days. I put out three 5 mg pills each day--take one in the morning and one in the evening. The third pill is sort of my ace in the hole. I only take if I can't stand the itching during the day. Usually I start to itch at around noon--but if I wait it out it usually settles down esp. if I keep busy. I think maybe if I start having anxiety that the itching will escalate, the anxiety itself can make the itching worse or at least more noticeable.

Thanks for your comments!

Old 01-17-2022, 06:15 AM   #8
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

You might be interested in this article about anxiety and hives: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/anxiety-rash#other-causes

Reply Reply