It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

Allegra-D, side effects?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-04-2003, 04:27 AM   #1
skittles411
(female)

skittles411 HB User
Allegra-D, side effects?

Hello, I was wondering if Allegra-D can produce any type of stomach problems like indigestion/heartburn/gas etc. I have been having such problems recently and am trying to find the cause. I don't think it has to do with the Allegra-D, but I figured there's no harm in asking.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2003, 11:40 AM   #2
radarlitz

radarlitz HB User
Allegra-D made me "edgey" or more or less hot tempered. I didn't experience any acid/stomach/heartburn/reflux problems associated with Allegra. But had to switch to Claritin-D for obvious reasons...

Old 11-10-2003, 09:17 PM   #3
DAnn73

DAnn73 HB User
I am starting on Allegra-D after being on Claritin-D for several years. After this last bad "bout" with my allergies, I received a steriod shot in addition to this new Rx. I have a question regarding Allegra-D. On my information page from the pharmacy, it says to take it on an empty stomach. However, when I look at Allegra's web site, it says it can be taken with or without food. Is that just for Allegra and not with the Allegra-D? Claritin was so easy to take with virtually no side effects for me at all...so I'm kind of worried about taking something new...but I'm at my wit's end here with this congestion, etc. If anyone has any advice or any idea when and how to take it, please let me know! Thanks in advance!
DAnn

Old 11-12-2003, 12:11 PM   #4
radarlitz

radarlitz HB User
From what I remember, the web site is correct. (with or without food)

Ask your pharmacist for the Allegra-d insert.

Old 11-30-2003, 04:58 AM   #5
skittles411
(female)

skittles411 HB User
Re: Allegra-D, side effects?

topping this again... I noticed that when I go to the bathroom, sometimes partially dissolved pills will come out... only the allegra-d. Is this normal?

Old 12-01-2003, 08:16 AM   #6
radarlitz

radarlitz HB User

Yes, seeing the pill in a stool is perfectly normal! The pill is made of a waxy substance ... allowing the pill to release the medication(s) over a 24 hour period.

Claritin-D is like this also.

Old 12-01-2003, 08:18 AM   #7
TRACIEL
(female)

TRACIEL HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittles411
topping this again... I noticed that when I go to the bathroom, sometimes partially dissolved pills will come out... only the allegra-d. Is this normal?
That is exactly what happended to me. I remember calling the doctor and telling them that I am passing the allegra pills and they said that is was okay that I'm getting the medicine that I need and the pill is just not dissolving. It made me a nervous wreck so I stopped taking it all together. I'm glad to hear someone else had that problem as well. I thought I was the only one.

Old 12-01-2003, 12:00 PM   #8
skittles411
(female)

skittles411 HB User

ok I'm glad its normal

Old 12-07-2003, 06:20 AM   #9
skittles411
(female)

skittles411 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by radarlitz
Allegra-D made me "edgey" or more or less hot tempered. I didn't experience any acid/stomach/heartburn/reflux problems associated with Allegra. But had to switch to Claritin-D for obvious reasons...
Now that you mention it... I'm wondering if it's starting to make me edgy... I was pretty calm this morning, and then I took it and now I'm not so sure... I don't know I've been on this stuff for months, maybe I should ask to switch to something else. Clariton-D is over the counter, right?

Old 12-08-2003, 11:47 AM   #10
radarlitz

radarlitz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittles411
Now that you mention it... I'm wondering if it's starting to make me edgy... I was pretty calm this morning, and then I took it and now I'm not so sure... I don't know I've been on this stuff for months, maybe I should ask to switch to something else. Clariton-D is over the counter, right?
The serum level (in your bloodsteam) of fexofenadine takes several days to build up to a desired level (or maintenance level) ... and ... fexofenadine metabolizes fairly slow, so after dosage, you shouldn't see any major swings after dosage.

The "D" portion is pseudoephedrine ... which metabolizes somewhat more quickly, which is why the "waxy caplet" is used ... to dispense the pseudoephedrine somewhat evenly for a 12 or 24 hour period.

Reports of the side effect of mood changes (or being edgey for me) often starts after several weeks to several months of usage. And there are good days and bad days (which I think has to do with the allergen levels in the atmosphere).

After reading medication inserts and this and other allergy boards, it seems that Caritin and Zyrtec can also have the side effects of mood changes also. So all you can do is try Caritin or Zyrtec and see what happens.

Trying Caritin will be easier, as it is OTC, and also available as a generic, known as loratadine. Generic "D" versions are also available. I've seen the generics of Equate and Alavert frequently.

As with fexofenadine, loratadine metabolizes slowly, so serum levels stay fairly constant for 12 or 24 hours.

Old 12-27-2003, 05:10 AM   #11
skittles411
(female)

skittles411 HB User

Ok, so I've been off of Allegra-D since Tuesday, and Sinus/Allergy wise I dont feel much different then when I was on it (sometimes I can breath through my nose, sometimes I'm stuffed up). It seems like the flonase is much more effective than the Allegra-D in keeping me decongested... I'll be taking all of this up with an Allergist shortly, and maybe I don't need to be on Allegra-D after all...

Old 12-28-2003, 06:49 PM   #12
alleycat
Senior Veteran

alleycat HB User

Meds have difrent effects on everyone. Allegra-D never worked for me and made me really sick. Also like skittles411 I also noticed only partially disolved pills would sometimes come out.

Old 05-25-2005, 12:30 PM   #13
Ghostbuster1
(male)

Ghostbuster1 HB User

Have to tell you all about a recent experience with Allegra-D...I was given the tabs (in sample packets/lots) by PA and started on a Monday morning, taking twice daily (one in morning and one at night). On the third day (inclusive of the first day) in the early morning (about 0220 hours) I woke to my heart wanting to go to the races without me. I experienced my chest tightening (squeezing sensation) and shortness of breath, dizziness and nausea. I had never felt anything like it. It calmed and I immediately made the decision to go to the local ER. I hung out around the ER lobby just in case I had another episode and thought all was good (except for a major, pounding headache) and was preparing to head back home (about 45 minutes after) when my heart started to suddenly speed up again along with the squeezing chest, etc. I barely made it back thru the ER doorway and they seen me and used the buddy system to get me back into the trauma room. There I was hooked up to all the monitors (heart rate buzzing like a bee) to include establishing of IV...It was probably about five to ten minutes later I got this heavy type wave sensation (along with the speeding up of the heart rate, tightness of chest, shortness of breath and extreme pounding headache) and naturally knew something wasn't right...I called for the Nurse and immediately after bottomed out/crashed with no BP, Pulse and attack with twin Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) being experienced that may have caused irreversible tissue damage. I was admitted to the heart/cardiac critical care/ICU and ended up staying for almost two days.

I would certainly review other alternatives for meds...

Old 05-25-2005, 12:49 PM   #14
radarlitz

radarlitz HB User

I'm no MD or other "expert" ... but are you certain that the Allegra was the culprit??

Old 05-25-2005, 01:12 PM   #15
econnergya
(male)

econnergya HB User

For What Its Worth I Tok Sudafed And Got A Terrible Backache
The Decongestion Ain It Has Many Side Effects
I Need It But Is It Really Worth The Side Effects

Closed Thread