It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Allergy Shots: A Poll

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-26-2002, 02:28 PM   #1
    Natopheli

Natopheli HB User
    Post Allergy Shots: A Poll

I found out Monday exactly what I'm allergic to...dust/mites which I knew about, and many types of molds which I didn't know about. I'm considering allergy shots and wanted to research first. So...who's tried it? Did it work or not? How long did you do it, and did you miss any shots, or were you late for any? Thanks so much for any replies!
    Nat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2002, 08:11 PM   #2
    nate930
    Inactive

nate930 HB User
    Hi Nat!

I found out I was allergic to a boat load of stuff, pollens, grasses, dustmites, house dust. I had allergy shots for a year and I never felt better. I was so discouraged. Then I found an environmental allergist. He tests differently and does shots differently. I've just started on them so I can't tell you how they'll work, but he's got a 90%+ success rate. That is much better than my other allergist. There's alot on the web about the environmental allergists, give it a look. Hope this helps you. Feel better soon.

nate

Old 03-07-2002, 12:25 PM   #3
    Natopheli

Natopheli HB User
    Question

In what way is it different?
    Nat

Old 03-09-2002, 09:21 AM   #4
    Liisa

Liisa HB User
    Nat, I recently too was found to be highly allergic to mold. Specific molds. I am supposed to start taking allergy shots but first have to change my medication for high BP. (can't take beta blockers while taking allergy shots)
    I was told that if you are going to take the allergy shots it is real important to take them as scheduled and not skip any or be late because the purpose is to build up your immunity to mold so that you can get off the allergy shots.

Lisa

Old 03-11-2002, 08:15 PM   #5
    bluesea

bluesea HB User
    My 8 yr old has been on desensitization shots for 2 years. The improvement was dramatic for 24 months. Then about 3 months ago something has happened and they are not seeming to have as much a beneficial effect. The allergic symptoms have come back along with repeat strep infections.

Be aware that there are two main approaches to "shot" treatments. Traditional desensitization is generally accepted by insurance companies. The "alternative" provocation-neutralization approach is not. The latter is also criticized and largely dismissed by mainstream medicine. However, I know a number of persons who have benefitted from either treatment modalities.

Neither approach really "cures" you, but helps your body cope better with your sensitivities.

With either approach, skipping treatments is counterproductive, and you need to stick with the regimen as closely as possible.

Old 03-12-2002, 07:01 AM   #6
    deb0033

deb0033 HB User
    I am allergic to dust/mold, maples trees, etc. My experience with allergy shots were not good. I went the same time every week. Everytime I got a shot I would get congested. I was so aggravated. I talked to my allergist SEVERAL times and he told me the congestion had nothing to do with the shots. I stopped going. So, I do believe it's not for everyone.

Old 03-12-2002, 02:17 PM   #7
    Natopheli

Natopheli HB User
    Well thanks to everyone who answered my questions. Looks like I'm going to go for it. I've talked to more people who have gotten some benefit from it than those who haven't and my insurance covers it 100%. In my research I haven't found any horror stories that sound worse than I used to feel so, hell, bring it on! We'll see how it goes. And if anyone could tell me, I'd still like to know about these alternative immunization methods. Thanks!
    Nat

Old 03-20-2002, 11:10 AM   #8
    chrissiek

chrissiek HB User
    as I posted to another thread. I had terrible results with shots. What may work for you doesn't always work for everyone. this is what happened to me.

My PCP didn't want me to get shots and I went ahead and got them anyway. My PCP knew more than I did and I admit that now. I should've listened to him.

I had them from October 1996 until May 1998 with every shot, I got a reaction. (I'm supposedly allergic to trees and grass - which I knew that before the doctor did the little testing in his office.)

As you know, you're supposed to sit in the office 30 minutes after the shot. I did.

The nurse claimed she decreased the shot on my last visit. I believe she increased the dosage. In 5 minutes, my entire body broke out in hives and I had to get a shot of Benedryl, Epinephrin (sp?) and Adrenalin. I have no idea how I drove home after that and remember being in the office for about an hour to make sure I was okay with my breathing.

The first introduction I got from the allergist is that one *could* die from the shots. That day I almost did. Never again would I subject myself to that.

My allergies are now worse after the shot therapy.
    Be careful when going the shot route. It's not for everyone! What I found is that I never saw the doctor for the shots, only nurses and it's a huge moneymaker.

Christine.

Old 03-20-2002, 12:31 PM   #9
    Natopheli

Natopheli HB User
    Will find out tomorrow!!

Old 03-21-2002, 12:35 PM   #10
    TexasJeep
    (male)

TexasJeep HB User
    I am on my 3rd week of shots. I have had no problems with them.

[This message has been edited by moderator2 (edited 03-26-2002).]

Old 03-23-2002, 01:14 PM   #11
    jshane

jshane HB User
    Thumbs up

Quote:
    Originally posted by Natopheli:
    I found out Monday exactly what I'm allergic to...dust/mites which I knew about, and many types of molds which I didn't know about. I'm considering allergy shots and wanted to research first. So...who's tried it? Did it work or not? How long did you do it, and did you miss any shots, or were you late for any? Thanks so much for any replies!
    Nat

I am allergic to all trees, grasses, dust mites, and highly allergic to molds. I have been in the hospital so many times with pneumonia and allergy induced asthma. I have begun shots again and the shots are different this time. My shots are itching a lot when I get them and never did before. Iíve asked the doctor why and he told me that if they are not itching you are not getting enough of the allergen to effectively work.

I have also invested in an air cleaner at the request of my doctor and the headaches and soar throat have gone away.

Old 03-25-2002, 12:15 PM   #12
    Natopheli

Natopheli HB User
    Well well! Got my first shot last Thursday. Was fine. I woke up sick with a sinus infection that morning so I was pretty miserable- didn't notice if there was an itch or anything. But going back today for another so I'll be paying more attention. A side note- I got a fever while I was really sick this weekend-which I haven't had happen in years-so I figure maybe now my body must be attempting to fight things off on its own. Whoohoo! Couldn't believe it. By the way my doc said it was okay to give the shot when you're sick as long as your temp is under 100.
    Anyway...must stop myself because I feel like rambling today. Will see what happens with shot #2!
    Nat

Old 03-26-2002, 01:12 PM   #13
    Natopheli

Natopheli HB User
    Shot #2 was fine.... I guess I'll let you guys know if my arms fall off or anything!
    Nat

Old 04-25-2002, 07:06 AM   #14
    ginli

ginli HB User
    I've been on shots for 3yrs and to be honest, i don't feel any different. I'd like to stop but i guess it's more psychological(that they may be working) I am so sick of being sick and tired. thanks all

Old 04-27-2002, 10:29 AM   #15
    chrissiek

chrissiek HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by Natopheli:
    Shot #2 was fine.... I guess I'll let you guys know if my arms fall off or anything!
    Nat
    Just to let you know, it might take a year and a half to feel something if anything -whether it would be a reaction to the shot or if it works with your body.

Christine.

Closed Thread