It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Allergy Info...Itchy and feels like being eaten alive!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-17-2002, 06:02 AM   #1
    Jestine

Jestine HB User
    Lightbulb Allergy Info...Itchy and feels like being eaten alive!

I thought I would post this, because I've read quite a few people post here about experiencing the same thing...

--------------------------------

Well last night I ended up going to the hospital because my skin has been EXTREMLY itchy and it feels like being eaten alive.

It was just getting continually worse, and I hadn't slept in almost two days because of it. The itching subsides for as much as 10 minutes sometimes, and then all of a sudden I get sharp needle like pains and the itching continues. Enough to bring you to tears. It feels like mites or like I have somekind of bugs on my skin, but nothing is there. And there is no rash either...

My body has been acting up lately with other things, so I thought it was related to that, but I guess not.

What turns out is that it is an allergic reaction to the new detergent I have been using.

I never had this before, so it must be an allergy I just developed. The Dr. prescribed an antihistamine (Atarax), and said to not use that detergent anymore (surf).

-----------------------------
    I just wanted to post this for an answer possibly, to why some of you may be experiencing the same thing.

....Maybe you've been using a new detergent or soap? Or another new product your skin has been coming in contact with like lotion, perfume, or whatever...

Hope this helps some...

Jestine

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2002, 11:35 PM   #2
    rhody
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User
    Smile

If something like that occurs again, consider some aloe vera to relieve the itching. It may or may not work, but you could give it a try. I always have two bottles around the house. It's amazing how many times I use it.

I mentioned this on another post. I'm pretty sure that I had some grass pollen allergy, just recently. I was sneezing like crazy, and my eyes itched (actually mostly the lids near the nose). It was one of those kinds of itching that the more you rubbed, the worse it got. While I was trying to sleep the horrible itching continued (and I rubbed while half asleep). Finally, at about 3:30 am, I remember the aloe vera. It was such a relief after I applied the solution. I finally could go back to sleep. Aloe vera has saved me from agony so many times.

The allergy happened as soon as I opened the windows, to cool off the house. Fortunately, the pollen must be less now, for I no longer have that bad reaction.

Old 06-18-2002, 02:42 AM   #3
    Jestine

Jestine HB User
    Cool

Quote:
    Originally posted by rhody:
    If something like that occurs again, consider some aloe vera to relieve the itching. It may or may not work, but you could give it a try.

Thanks rhody!

I never even thought about using aloe.
    I have a ? for you about the aloe ok...

When the itching on me started to get worse and worse, I tried things like: Athletes foot spray, the apple cider vinegar wash, and cortizone-10 (all for the itching relief). None of them worked At All. :\ but I was told to keep using the cortizone cream in conjunction with the pills the Dr. gave me.

What is it that makes the aloe vera work so good? I mean, does it coat the skin or soak up what ever it is that is making you itch? Also are you suggesting using the aloe that you can buy in a bottle (at drug stores), or the aloe plant leaves itself?

Thanks
    Jestine

Old 06-18-2002, 09:13 AM   #4
    rhody
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User
    Smile

I've had good luck with the aloe vera sold in bottles. There are different brands that you could try and see if it helps.

Aloe vera is a wonderful herb, that is used by a lot of people. I don't know the precise medical reason why it works, but it is known throughout the world as a great healer, especially of the skin.

Old 07-21-2002, 06:15 AM   #5
    Jestine

Jestine HB User
    This is just an update to what was happening when I posted this to begin with.

What ever is making me itch is not an allergic reaction to my detergent, soap, or anything I've been using.
    I went back to using the same detergent that I've used for the past few years, started using the same lotion, soap, and everything that I have always used, and none of that has helped. I've been keeping as close an eye as I can on what I eat, trying to see if it is an allergic reaction to anything that I am putting in or on my body, but nothing that I know of is making me itch like this.
    I took the medecine that the Dr. prescribed to me, I felt that it was helping but I can't say for sure, because it made me pass out and I slept for at least 12 hours each time I took it. So there is no way of me knowing if the prescription helped the itching, since I fell asleep right after and stayed asleep for quite a while.
    It hasn't been as bad as it was before, but now it is starting to get back to the same point. The itching 'Started' 3-4 weeks or so before I got the meds, I got the med. a little over a month ago, and by that point there was still nothing on my skin to show that anything was wrong. There still isn't much going on with my skin to show. But I sat down and looked at every spot on my skin when I got bit, and I thought I could see a Very small little black dot where the itch was. Small as in the very tip of a straight pen. I don't know if the dots are anything or not, the only other thing that I can see is a little bit of redness, which may be caused by scratching? Other than that there's nothing...no bumps, sores, cuts or anything.
    This is really driving me crazy.
    If you think you might have an idea of what is causing this, then please let me know what you think it may be.

Thanks,
    Jestine

Old 07-21-2002, 09:30 AM   #6
    drs
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

drs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB User
    Jestine if your not diabetic you could try an epsom salt soak. Then apply the aloe. Worth a try, epsom salts are cheap.

Did your doctor ever test you for hep-c? I don't mean to alarm you but these are the first symtoms a friend of mine had for hep-c. Diana

Old 08-11-2002, 09:43 PM   #7
    earthling365

earthling365 HB User
    For itching skin a dermatologist told me to use dove for sensitive skin to wash with and wash bedding/clothes in free and clear clothes detergent. Rinse clothing and bedding a couple of times and refrain from using fabric softener. I am able to use liquid downey but not any fabric softener sheets in the dryer. Also, I have taken two generic benedryl capsules if I itch at night. Just some suggestions.

------------------
    Be happy, Earthling 365

Old 08-13-2002, 09:02 AM   #8
    Buttercup466

Buttercup466 HB User
    I have this problem with the severe itching but I also get a rash almost like chicken pox to go with it...and I scratch till I break the skin....what a mess!!!! I have sooooo many scars!! First they told me it was the sun....then I broke out really bad in the winter..no sun contact...so now they don't really know...I managed to finally get some relief with a pill my doctor gave me called aerius and applying mel a gel...without those two things I would be nuts by now!! I go for allergy tests in the morning...hopefully I will be getting to the bottom of this . These may offer you some tempory relief until you to can get to the bottom of it.

Old 09-17-2002, 10:04 PM   #9
    Amanda30

Amanda30 HB User
    Smile

don't worry I know exactly why your itching and not many ppl experience the same reaction as you describe but ........I was one of them you have headlice! don't be horrified but that's exactly the same symptoms I had you have a reaction to there feaces and eggs aswell, I had the black dots aswell and even yet 2 weeks after getting rid of the lice I still get the odd one falling from my head and the itching it's very strange and this whole experiance was a nightmare because I didn't know I had them was a 6 week ordeal as my kids and husband had them aswell,if I cannhelp in any way please contact me hope this helps

[This message has been edited by Amanda30 (edited 09-18-2002).]

Old 09-19-2002, 06:44 AM   #10
    BlessingsGalore

BlessingsGalore HB User
    Buttercup, I'd get checked out for LUPUS. There is the internal kind and then there is the SKIN kind and you do break out with it. They says it's an awful itch and it's treated wit steriods.

Do check into this,

------------------
    Blessed <><

Closed Thread