It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Nausea, Rash, Anxiety--Allergy?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-11-2002, 10:50 AM   #1
    heatherv-m

heatherv-m HB User
    Post Nausea, Rash, Anxiety--Allergy?

Hello all!

I have a question about food allergies and intolerances. I am 22, and have had lifelone problems with generalized and health-related anxiety. I had been doing pretty well without medication until a few months ago.

At that time, I developed intermittent nausea, from mild to very severe. I was very worried about this, and of course my anxiety made the nausea much worse. I also started to develop a mild red, non-itchy rash at the corners of my mouth and nose.

I went to a GP and then a GI, and they did blood tests, an abdominal ultrasound, and an endoscopy and pronounced me healthy. Of course the nausea continued, and the rash has gotten worse. My doctor started me on Lexapro for the anxiety, which has helped the nausea somewhat but which makes the nausea worse when the dosage gets bumped up.

My GP is not really interested in discussing this, but I wonder if all of these things might be related to an allergy, intolerance, or deficiency. (Luckily I'm moving soon and will find a new GP!)

I stopped eating meat at the beginning of the summer, and replaced it with fairly large quantities of soy and dairy for protein. My father-in-law, a dermatologist, suggested the rash could be from a deficiency, so I have started eating meat again (about 2 weeks ago) and thus cut back on my soy intake. I have also started taking B-vitamins, magnesium, and calcium.

Like I said, the nausea is not as bad as it was, but still continues, and the rash is still there. I have started keeping a detailed food diary. I am wondering about sensitivities to wheat, soy, dairy, and yeast, as I eat these just about every day (although since eating meat again I have cut back on soy to only trace amounts, no tofu or anything like that). I started an elimination diet of these today, hoping to find *something* to feel better.

Does anyone have any advice or resources for me? I would greatly appreciate your help!

Thanks so much for reading this!
    Best wishes,
    Heather

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2002, 04:11 AM   #2
    Super Sarah

Talking

If I were you, I would go and get some food allergy/intolerance tests done. Get the skinprick tests done for the IgE and some bloods done to test for the food intolerances. If you have stomach problems then this is worth it at it uses IgG and IgG ony affects the gut, so you will be able to see.

Earlier on this year, I came back from France with a very bad stomach and itchy skin. Every time I itched I came up in hives, so really felt that I was allergic to something. I went to see my doc who was not that interested and after prodding my belly, just told me that I had a stomach infection. It was not until I decided to go and see an ND that I finally got to the bottom of my problems. He ran some tests and I found that I had intolerances to wheat, dairy (lactose intolerance) and yeast. Since cutting these out of my diet my skin and stomach have been better and I rarely have problems now.

I added soya and tofu into my diet and I don't seem to have a problem with this. ND said that they can help to rebalance your hormones, so if you have problems around the time of your period (I always had a bad stomach before), then it is worth doing this. It has really helped me.

It is also true that some deficiencies can cause problems too as well as allergies/intolerances.

I would strongly suggest that you get some allergy/intolerance tests done though to see if and what you may be allergic too. It maybe easier for you in the long run. Also, consider seeing an ND rather than an MD, as they normally give you more time and have the same training as MD's, but have the extra training in natural therapies too, such as homeopathy, herbal medicine, acupuncture, dietary modification, naturopathic techniques and sometimes chiropractic. I am glad I did, as my stomach has been a lot better since, I have not taken conventional meds either.

Closed Thread