It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Can someone make a complete list of allergy symptoms?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-03-2003, 11:10 AM   #1
    Lily0727

Lily0727 HB User
    Post Can someone make a complete list of allergy symptoms?

Allergies and cold are so similar in symptoms. I was wanting to know if anyone could list the symptoms of allergies that are DIFFERENT than a cold. I hear that question asked alot and I have an idea, but not sure what they ALL are. Thanks to everyone in advance!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2003, 05:59 PM   #2
    Lindarella
    Senior Veteran

Lindarella HB User
    One of the ways to tell is that a cold lasts for 10 days or so. If you have symptoms of a cold longer than 10 days (besides the cough that can last for several months after a cold) then you don't have a cold, you likely have an allergy.

Also, different allergies have different symptoms. Seasonal or indoor allergies to inhaled things such as dust, mold, dander, pollen etc. have symptoms like cold symptoms. Allergies to things you touch or eat have different symptoms such as hives, abdominal pain, diarrhea, etc.

In any case, if you have cold symptoms for more than 10 days, it's likely not a cold....

Old 01-04-2003, 12:08 PM   #3
    Lily0727

Lily0727 HB User
    Can headaches accompany "allergies"? starts in the back of neck, then moves to the forehead above the eyebrows. Headache comes for 2-3 days in a row, then leaves, then comes on again. I do have drainage going down my throat at times. But this headache just doesn't want to seem to stay gone. Allergies, cold, what? I usually don't get stuff but this one is a doozy!

Old 01-04-2003, 02:40 PM   #4
    Lindarella
    Senior Veteran

Lindarella HB User
    I'd say if this keeps happening for more than 10 days, it's not a cold. It could be allergies. Have you tried taking any over the counter allergy meds to see if you can releive the symtoms for a short time? If antihistamines or decongestants seem to work for you, it's likely an allergy.

Possibly migraine? Need glasses? Stress/anxiety induced headaches? Could also be one of these...

Do you take any medications on a regular basis that could cause these symptoms? Birth control pills? Ever had any anxiety issues? panic attacks? depression? All can cause headaches.

Old 01-04-2003, 05:34 PM   #5
    Lily0727

Lily0727 HB User
    I have been taking over the counter stuff....Claritin, sudefed, Tylonol sinus, Tylonol PM. I'm not sure if they work or not....headache seems to subside, but still lingers but not to where it really hurts. I do take BC pills, have stress/anxiety but also have congestion off and on, the drainage as I mentioned and I have been sneezing off and on too. My headache sometimes makes me feel "lightheaded" almost a little bit nausiated at time (nothing really big) and I have poor vision in one eye which I have had for a long time. So, do you still lean more towards the allergy diagnosis? Did you say that you thought headaches could be allergy related? Sometimes my sinuses bother very lightly, but I feel it. If I go out into the wind, my ear will ache a little bit for a while. I just had my ears checked and the Doc said that they looked fine. Hmmm......any thoughts?

Old 01-04-2003, 07:17 PM   #6
    2mmk
    Inactive

2mmk HB User
    For many years at different times for like a month at a time, I seriously could not function without taking Tylenol Sinus, ( I sweared by that stuff) my head would pound!! I would hack and hack only in the am, and always just constantly stuffy!! Well I have two children that went through allergists 1 for asthma and 1 for food allergies, they were both put on zyrtec and after being tested both have environmental allergies. I saw what a drastic difference the med made in them, I decided to be tested, I have year round allergies and asthma.!! after being on zyrtec, ryna-12 for the morning post-nasal drip, a nose spray and advair I feel like a totally new person. I haven't had one sinus headache since. So I would get checked out, I never thought my allergies were that bad!! I am so amazed what a difference it has made in me. Hope this helps.

Closed Thread