It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• skin allergy / sensitivity from spectacles?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-29-2003, 11:24 PM   #1
    robin1977

robin1977 HB User
    Post skin allergy / sensitivity from spectacles?

Hi,

I'm 25 years old. I have been wearing glasses for more than 10 years. During the last year, I've developed some strange synptoms.

It all started when my spectacles got distored after being hit by a ball during a football game.

I tried to fix them (as I used to do in similar situation in the past), but whatever I did, I would still feel that there was something wrong with them.

I went to the optician to have them properly fixed. Even after that, I would still feel that my frame is not placed properly, I could feel the frame touching my skin behind my ears and my nose all the time, or I would feel that my frame was too loose and so on.

After a couple of days, I though that I should buy a new frame. I did. But still, the same problems occurded. I could feel the frame on me all the time.

I found a very old frame I used to wear for years with no problems, and tried that. Still, I was feeling that something was wrong.

Anyway, I've been trying to get use to these symtoms and got on with my life. I found out that when I made my frame feel tight on me, I wouldn't really notice it. But even with minor changes on its positioning, I would still feel it again on my face and try for ages to make it feel more comfortable. What worries me is that now, almost a year later, I feel that I'm developing some other symptoms from this. I'm regularely getting gooseflesh, especially in the mornings when I get up and wear my glasses. Waking up in the morning and having to put my glasses on is a nightmare. I know this may sound silly, but it has changed my life. I can't wear contacts because of my high level of astigmatism.

During this year, I was getting better from time to time, but I was never totally recorded. Lately it seems it's getting worse. I feel my frame all the time on myself, and I'm getting some strange skin problems and sensitivity, such us the gooseflesh. I've also developed a sensitivity to wool at the same time the problem with my glasses appeared. Sometimes I feel that I'm developing a sensitivity to other fabrics, long sleeve shirts etc. I find things that didn't bother be before, to start bothering me ... for example, having long hair was also givining me gooseflesh (I was feeling my hair touching my neck), so I had a hair cut and the gooseflesh from the feeling of my hair has dissappeared (even though the gooseflesh from the frame is still there).

Also, I can't put my frame on in the morning before washing my face and feel that I'm totally clean. Otherwise, I feel it's impossible to wear my spectacles. But I remember having this thought few months before the problem appeared.

Could all this be some kind of allergy? Could it be OCD? But if it's OCD, why does this skin sensitivity appear??

By the way, I feel that I'm getting gooseflesh when the frame touches my skin, such as when I put my glasses on, or remove them, or if they touch my face when re-positioning them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread