It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• If I'm allergic to penicillin, am I likely to be allergic to other anti-biotics?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-07-2003, 08:41 PM   #1
    Janette*
    (female)

Janette* HB User
    Exclamation If I'm allergic to penicillin, am I likely to be allergic to other anti-biotics?

Hi everyone...

I'm pretty sure I have an awfully infected tooth in my mouth. I've needed a root canal done for almost two years now. I WANTED to get it done ASAP!! My mother, however, did not like the dentist, so she switched us. Then she didn't like that dentist, and switched us again. Bottom line - she kept switching and I never got it done.

Well, I've had a horrible aching in that tooth that comes and goes for.. well, years. About a month ago, I got a fever, and my lymph nodes swelled up. I was put on penicillin for this... it started out working pretty well, until my doctor put me on a higher dose. Then I broke out in hives. All over. It sucked.

I quit the penicillin (seeing as how it could have killed me!), and now I'm back where I started. I know I'm going to have to go on anti-biotics again, but now im scared.

I know there are anti-biotics other than penicillin, but do you think my chances of being allergic to them are high?

And for the record, penicillin is my only known allergy.

Please respond... thanks. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/tired.gif

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2003, 02:54 AM   #2
    Sarah68
    Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
    Talking

There are different types of antibiotics available and if you have an allergy to penicillin, this does not preclude use of other antibiotics. Penicillin allergy does not mean that you would necessarily be allergic to others.

Also, I have to say that your best remedy is to treat the cause of your problem, rather than constant antibiotic use and this would be to go to a dentist and get your problem with your teeth sorted out. If you do this, then you would not need the antibiotics in the first place.

Also, you do not need to take the antibiotics at all really and other more natural therapies could help you. Homeopathic remedies can work just as well for teeth and gum problems. PHOSPHOROUS is a very good remedy for problems with teeth. Also, SILICA is good for drawing out infected absesses and HEPAR SULPH is good if you have something that is infected and is very painful and hot and has that inflammed feeling.

Good luck

Old 06-08-2003, 02:03 PM   #3
    Janette*
    (female)

Janette* HB User
    Lightbulb

Well, actually I know that I will have to take the anti-biotics.. because if my tooth is indeed infected, the dentist will not perform a root canal (or anything else on it) until I use anti-biotics for a week or two, and the infection is cleared. Then they'll fix up the tooth so it won't get infected again.

I guess I really don't have a choice.. I'm just a lil' scared

Old 06-08-2003, 02:08 PM   #4
    Janette*
    (female)

Janette* HB User
    Thumbs up

Oh, I forgot to say thank you for your input! I'd much rather use some herbs than more RX pills... But I don't know how well that would work for me, and I know the dentist is going to prescribe something for me anyway. Hopefully all will be well.

Old 06-09-2003, 04:19 AM   #5
    Sarah68
    Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
    Talking

I have to say that HOMEOPATHY would probably work a lot better and quicker than herbal remedies. Once you get the right homeopathic remedy, it can work within minutes and all you do is let the tablet dissolve under your tongue. There are no side effects at all, whereas with herbal remedies you have to be very careful with other drug interactons.

I would suggest that you try and go and see someone who knows something about homeopathy, so that they can help you get the right remedy. Either that or go and see an ND (Naturopathic Doc). They practice homeopathy, herbal medcine and acupuncture and should be able to prescribe the right remedy to help an infection in the gums/teeth, so that you can eventually get it fixed by the dentist.

Good luck

Old 06-10-2003, 06:52 PM   #6
    Kari7171
    (female)

Kari7171 HB User
    I am allergic to penicillin and can take all other kinds of antibiotics just not anything penicillin based. I have never had a bad reaction to any antibiotic except for penicillin. It is a very common allergy I know many people who are allergic to it. Don't get sucked into the homeopathic remedies. Especially for an infection regular medicine from a doctor is what is needed. My husband is also allergic to penicillin but has taken other kinds without a problem.

Old 06-10-2003, 07:12 PM   #7
    Kari7171
    (female)

Kari7171 HB User
    I also do agree with herbal remedies not being a good idea. They are not tested by the FDA and you never know what kind of side effects you could have and also the drug interactions you could have. Then the part about them I have noticed is they just plain don't work. I have tried a couple before and it seemed like I was just taking sugar pills. Pretty much like taking nothing. I am sure there are some out there that actually do something but they have not been tested like I said and can be dangerous.

Old 06-11-2003, 12:41 AM   #8
    Janette*
    (female)

Janette* HB User
    Smile

Thank you, Kari. You pretty much answered my quesion!

As for homeopathy... well, for one thing, I wouldn't know where to find a doctor who practices it. The other thing is that I'm a bit too timid to try it anyway. Though I'm sure it works just as well as any other medicines.

Thanks again, Sarah and Kari!

Old 06-11-2003, 12:55 AM   #9
    Sarah68
    Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
    Talking

That's your loss then, as it is perfectly simple to find a practitioner if you look hard enough. Just go and see any ND in your area and they practice it, in conjunction with lots of other natural therapies.

Also, too timid to try it? Homeopathy is a hell of a lot less painful than acupuncture is, so I really don't know where you get this idea from?

Also to the other poster who said "Don't get sucked in" Homeopathy can treat and is designed to treat infections just such as this and does so very quickly and effectively and you do not always need to use antibiotics for it.

Old 06-11-2003, 12:19 PM   #10
    Kari7171
    (female)

Kari7171 HB User
    Homeopathy makes claims that it can treat many different things. I had an aunt who had cancer and went to a homeopathy and they said they could cure her of it. I feel they make dangerous claims that do not work. She passed away about a year ago. The medical doctors said the type of cancer she had has a 99% cure rate if she had gone to a regular doctor and that is a scientific proven fact. I have seen many people come through cancer ok but the first time I hear of someone going to a homeopathic it turns out very bad that just doesn't give me much faith for the practice.

Old 06-12-2003, 12:36 AM   #11
    Sarah68
    Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
    Talking

Ok. I studied homepathy for 4 years and also now practice it, with a great deal of success I have to say. I have seen it help countless people and I myself have had profound experiences with remedies that I have taken. Homeopathy can be very profound and deep acting.

However, homepathy is not able to cure everything, but neither is conventional medicine. It has its limits like everything else, which is why I will actually tell someone if I really do not think that I can help them and I think that homeopathy will not work for them. I would always tell someone with cancer to see a doctor and be treated with conventional medicine. It is possible however, to give supporting homeopathic remedies at the same time to help them through and these can help palliate a lot of the time.

I have met people who make wild claims such as this for homeopathy, however I don't and I feel that I knows its limits. I do practice it responsibly I hope and I have actually had a lot of success in my practice. I also never tell people to stop taking their conventional meds either. Rather, I tell people to take both at the same time, as homeopathic remedies do work on a different level altogether and can be taken safely together and the benefits of both can be reapted adequately.

I hope this helps you? I think homeopathy has its limits too and is not a cure all, just as most other things in life have their limits too. If you want to use homeopathy, go into it with an open mind and ensure that you find a good practitioner who will not make these false claims. It does work very well if practiced properly and responsibly.

Closed Thread