It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Solar urticaria- anyone else?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-03-2003, 09:02 PM   #1
    MishiMouse

MishiMouse HB User
    Unhappy Solar urticaria- anyone else?

I have Solar Urticaria, and I was wondering if anyone else has it. And I was also wondering if anyone thinks if solar urticaria is rare for children. I get horrible hives from solar urticaria, and I love swimming a lot, which is a real pain now that I know I have S.U. Last year, I had them so bad that I had to go to the emergency room- where I was 'diagnosed' with S.U. Are there any other people who suffer S.U? Thanks- Mish

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2003, 04:21 PM   #2
    CK 65
    Inactive

CK 65 HB User
    Hi....I have S.U. and PMLE.......I have both and so does my 8 yr old son. Yes..it is rare for children to have these conditions..but recently, I have found a range of clothes..which have a built in SPF 30++ . I am living in hope that these clothes will make outdoor life a tad more bearable.

The posting of comercial web addresses is strictly against the Posting Guidelines.

[This message has been edited by kitaki (edited 07-05-2003).]

Old 03-11-2004, 06:08 AM   #3
    vkhtn
    (female)

vkhtn HB User
    Re: Solar urticaria- anyone else?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MishiMouse
    I have Solar Urticaria, and I was wondering if anyone else has it. And I was also wondering if anyone thinks if solar urticaria is rare for children. I get horrible hives from solar urticaria, and I love swimming a lot, which is a real pain now that I know I have S.U. Last year, I had them so bad that I had to go to the emergency room- where I was 'diagnosed' with S.U. Are there any other people who suffer S.U? Thanks- Mish

I've had Solar Urticaria for 12 years. I turn completely red and itch after 8 minutes of sun exposure. The only sunblock that works for me is Coppertone "Shade" SPF 45. I think it is Parsol 1789 that makes it effective for people like us. I can finally be outside without breaking out. I do breakout if the sunblock is close to expiration so always check the expiration date. Also, several years ago, I was taking Benadryl at night for 5-6 months and I was able to be in the sun for a much longer period of time without sunblock. This sunblock has changed my life. I hope this will help you.

Old 03-12-2004, 01:44 PM   #4
    Blondee15
    Veteran

Blondee15 HB User

I do have it, but the thing is I can't stand STRONG sun.. I can tolerate normal amounts of sunlight wonderfully & it helps me but the carribean sun sets my skin off crazy.
    I use Cutivate & Benadryl to help the hives/rashes..benadryl does make me sleepy but hey when i'm in the carribean i'm just being lazy anyways on vacation hehe.

Old 08-07-2006, 09:48 PM   #5
    babygirl4276032
    (female)

babygirl4276032 HB User

my daughter was just diagnosed with it and she is 4 yrs old. I dont know what to do but was told claritin and the prednisone would help her. Just wanted to let you know there are more people out there with this condition who have questions that need answering.

Closed Thread