It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

Flea bites causing allergies?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-07-2003, 01:25 PM   #1
Piperdreams
Inactive

Piperdreams HB User
Question Flea bites causing allergies?

Hi:

Is it possible flea bites triggering some kind of skin allergy? My cat brought home fleas about four weeks ago and I have been having flea bites ever since. It is just one or two bites per day however, the bad part is not the flea bites. After the bite, my entire body starts itching all over.My hypothesis is that flea saliva triggers it. I found very little info on this. I was wondering if anyone has experienced something similar.

Today we are getting the house sprayed by a company. Hopefully it will get rid of the fleas for good. This is the interesting part: I am the only person that they bite. They donot bite my daughter or my husband. I didnot know that they were so picky!

Any input would be very much appreciated.

BTW, we treated the cat for fleas too.

Piper

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2003, 02:13 PM   #2
Monday1954
Senior Veteran

Monday1954 HB User
My son is allergic to flea bites, also mosquitos.
We discovered this when he was about 4 years old.
My husband went in to wake him up, yelled for me,
his entire right eye was the size of a baseball and
swollen together. He had been fine when we put him to bed. Rushed to the doctor, thinking terrible things.
Turned out a mosquito had bitten him on the eyelid.

Since then when he gets a bite, it swells and and he gets hives. Lucky me and my daughter aren't allergic to fleas, if they bite, they don't bother us, no itching, no spots. Take some benedryl and see if it
helps.

Old 08-08-2003, 01:42 PM   #3
Lindarella
Senior Veteran

Lindarella HB User
I agree you can get an allergic reaction from flea bites. I've had flea infestations twice in my life and boy oh boy! I was also the only one in my home that got bit. I think the other people ARE getting bit, they are just not allergic so it doesn't bother them...

And Monday is right, try taking benardyl or another type of antihistamine. It should help some.

Another thing, you mentioned that you are getting your house sprayed. I went that route both time's I've had fleas. It is the absolute best way to go. The thing I wanted to mention is that both times I had it done, they sprayed twice. They sprayed the first time, waited 2 weeks and sprayed again. The reason they do it 2 times, 2 weeks apart is because it takes 2 weeks for flea larvae to turn into full grown fleas. Just thought I'd bring that up so you can ask the exterminator about it. It's been years since I've sprayed so they might have some "new-fangled" way of doing it that I'm not aware of.

Good luck to you. Those fleas are then nastiest little creatures alive!

Closed Thread