It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

hives

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-21-2003, 06:58 AM   #1
Dankabear

Dankabear HB User
Unhappy hives

Well, where do I start? First of all I am both unhappy and happy to find that I am not the only one suffering from hives of an unkown origin...I will try to be brief with my story but I feel that I want to share it in case anyone elso out there is experiencing a similar sittuation...I started to break out with hives a year ago, just before I turned 30..I figured that my body chemistry had changed and my already present hayfever rhinitus had evolved froma stuffy nose reaction to hives...after all my mom has severe asthma and I have read that hive sufferers usually have a family history of someone with asthma...I began to break out with a few hives on my legs and buttocks during mid-July and it would travel in waves up my body and progressively got worse...it lasted until mid-Feb and I endured daily multiple doses of antihistamines and 3 go arounds on prednisone...my doctors even tested me for lupus and vasculitus...I finally went on an elimination diet (and for those of you out there who have gone on one it's not too fun!) and my hives cleared up in 3 weeks...I slowly added/tested foods I thought might be the culprit...I thought that I had narrowed it down to a protein found in many dairy products (specifically cheese) and also in countless preservatives, (although not listed)..the protein is called rennet....after I thought I figured it out I simply avoided (tried to ) rennet and remained drug free for about 41/2 months (from mid-feb to the end of june)...now that it is late august I have begun to break out again...it started about the same time (mid July) which makes me think that it may be a mold allergy...I have tried to contain the outbreak by getting on my antihistamines again (zyrtech, cimetidine and singulair) so that it doesn't get out of control...I am considering getting tested for mold allergies...is there anyone out there that has had a similar experience?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2003, 04:22 PM   #2
mamashome

mamashome HB User
Hey, have you tried yellow dye products. I have been suffering with hives for about 15 years and I finally found a doctor that said I was allergic to products and food with yellow dye. This also includes yellow corn and squash. There are a lot of products out there that you would not even believe had this dye in them. Bread, candies, chips, butter, ice cream, lotions, over the counter meds., and colognes are just a few. I am still trying to get a complete list and have a friend that is a chemist, so he is going to find out more for me. I hope this can help you, because every sense I cut out these products I don't break out as much. It sometimes seems like there is nothing out there to get, but I learning.
Mamashome

Old 08-24-2003, 05:27 PM   #3
n7ynk
Inactive

n7ynk HB User
What about casseinate? It is a by product of milk. Veggie cheese is suppose tobe milk free but has casseinate. This makes my mouth feel numb when I use to eat it.

Closed Thread