It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

Fluid In My Ear

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-30-2003, 11:17 AM   #1
slr

slr HB User
Question Fluid In My Ear

Hi all,

I need your help.

I have a feeling of fluid in my ear. I don't really have any pain. I had two nurses and my chiropractor look in the ear and they don't see any fluid. However, when my chiropractor did a neck adjustment on me, the ear opened up but did not stay open; my chiropractor suggested seeing an ENT so I made an appointment.

The ENT was scheduled to leave town the day of my appointment for a conference but I was assured that he had enough time to devote to me. I went to his office and signed in and had to go back and ask for the new patient paperwork. I finally got it and was filling it out when an assistant came out and said we have to get you in. I looked at him and said I was on time for my appointment but just now got my paperwork. I was rushing to fill it out.

Got in to see the doc and told him that my ear felt like fluid was in there and that it opened up when the chiro did a neck adjustment. I also told him when I used a nasal spray that on of my nostrils bleed and that the pharmacist said it was a side effect.

He did a test to check for fluid behind my ear and it showed negative. He did a hearing test (I could hear my heart beat in the head phones) and then he told me I had hearing loss in both of my ears and that it could not be repaired as it happens with age and nerve damage is irreparable. First of all, I do not have a sense of hearing loss. Secondly, how would he be able to tell if it was nerve damage without further testing. Thirdly, if what he says is correct and I have nerve damage, why would I still feel like there is fluid in my ear? Shouldn't he have done further tests? When I addressed it further about the nose bleed the doc said Oh I am sure that you just put the nozzle in straight rather than toward your eye (because I told the office staff and doc that I felt like I was being rushed. Now what an assumption to make!!

I know that this doc and I were not a good match and I have an appointment with another ENT that hopefully will be better. However, I would like to be more educated so I can suggest or at least ask if he thinks further testing should be done and have specific tests to ask him about. If I truly have hearing loss, I can deal with that, however, I cannot deal with the clogged and/or feeling of fluid behind my ear.

I asked the doc if he thought there could be a cyst or tumor and he said no and he probably is correct or my ear wouldn't open up sometimes.

Any suggestions and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

slr

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread