It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Allergies to Wool Rugs and Dust Mites

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-01-2003, 08:26 PM   #1
    CONCERNED20

CONCERNED20 HB User
    Allergies to Wool Rugs and Dust Mites

Does anyone know if you can be allergic to wool area rugs? I never had allergies in the past 38 years and I've been exposed to many thick wool area rugs. I have symptoms and have been told I'm allergic to dust mites. Is it poosible that these area rugs are the problem?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2003, 06:04 AM   #2
    James123

James123 HB User
    Re: Allergies to Wool Rugs and Dust Mites

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CONCERNED20
    Does anyone know if you can be allergic to wool area rugs? I never had allergies in the past 38 years and I've been exposed to many thick wool area rugs. I have symptoms and have been told I'm allergic to dust mites. Is it poosible that these area rugs are the problem?

Not "possible" but DEFINITE! Any type of a rug is loaded with dust mites. I think all fabrics are. I'm very allergic to dust mites also and when I change my pillow case I wake up not stuffed up.

If you still want to keep the rugs, you must vacuum them often.

Just curious: Do you also get any ecsema rashes? I sometimes get them too and somebody told me that they are related to dust mite allergies.

Old 12-02-2003, 08:25 AM   #3
    CONCERNED20

CONCERNED20 HB User

No I don't get any rashes at all. The only thing I really experience is ETD. It's driving me crazy to the point of putting PE Tubes in.
    Do you think you can be allergic to wool rugs more than synthetic rugs like polypropelene rugs?

Old 12-02-2003, 11:07 AM   #4
    James123

James123 HB User

Quote:
    No I don't get any rashes at all. The only thing I really experience is ETD. It's driving me crazy to the point of putting PE Tubes in.
    Do you think you can be allergic to wool rugs more than synthetic rugs like polypropelene rugs?
    Yes! My Mom told me years ago that a lot of people are allergic to wool sweaters. Change from wool to whatever. Oh, by the way, what is ETD? Thanks.

Old 12-03-2003, 01:16 PM   #5
    CONCERNED20

CONCERNED20 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by James123
    Yes! My Mom told me years ago that a lot of people are allergic to wool sweaters. Change from wool to whatever. Oh, by the way, what is ETD? Thanks.
    Hi James:
    ETD is eustachian tube disfunction. The tubes that regulate pressure in your middle ear and the surroundings are not working properly and you get this negative pressure feeling in you head. It's uncomfortable They also drain any mucous from your sinuses. It's caused by many things including allergies. Allergies cause them to inflame and they can't open and close properly to allow drainage into the throat.

Nick

Old 12-05-2003, 06:38 AM   #6
    James123

James123 HB User

Quote:
    Hi James:
    ETD is eustachian tube disfunction. The tubes that regulate pressure in your middle ear and the surroundings are not working properly and you get this negative pressure feeling in you head. It's uncomfortable They also drain any mucous from your sinuses. It's caused by many things including allergies. Allergies cause them to inflame and they can't open and close properly to allow drainage into the throat.

Nick
    Thanks for the info! I know I'm sick of getting sinus pressure, the feeling of always having goggles on. I've taken myself off of dairy completely since about a week ago and that has helped drastically reduce my fatigue and mucuous, nasal stuffiness.

I'm still an allergy sufferer. But I feel SO much better without dairy.

Closed Thread