It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

Allergies? Sickness? Sore throat & sleepy

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-17-2003, 06:30 PM   #1
adev77

adev77 HB User
Question Allergies? Sickness? Sore throat & sleepy

I have been getting "sick" off and on for 3 years. I get a sore throat, post-nasal drip, feel very tired and just basically yucky.

Have been to General Practice Dr.s, ENT's and Allergists. My most recent dr. thinks that this is all from allergies....but I am not convinced.

I have had allergies and asthma since I was young. I have done the allergy shots for years. I am allergic to everything in the air and all pets. My dr. just did the blood test and confirmed that yes, I am allergic to lots of stuff. She thinks these allergies are making me sick - but this isn't anything like what I have experienced in the past due to my allergies. My eyes don't itch, I'm not sneezing and I don't have a runny nose. My asthma isn't bad - but then again I am on allegra, singular, flovent and seravent.

The only thing in my life that changed 3 years ago was that I got 2 cats, which "technically" I was very allergic too. I don't seem to have any problems with MY cats though. My body was able to adapt to them - I do have problems with other's cats and dogs.

I know what allergies are and this re-occuring "cold" just doesn't seem like allergies to me.

I have read a ton of these postings and haven't heard any stories like mine? Does this sound familiar to anyone? Or does this sounds like allergies gone wild to you??

Thanks,
Adev

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2003, 08:04 PM   #2
Chrislynn

Chrislynn HB User
What I have been suffering from sounds like it may be similar to what you describe. I was tested for allergies several years ago and found out that I was allergic to all grasses, plants, trees, etc. but I am not allergic to animal hair.

My main symptom is very bad post nasal drip and on bad days I get a general achy, feverish feeling and my glands also get swollen on the right side of my neck when the post nasal drip gets really bad. I used to have all the symptoms (runny nose, sneezing, itchy watery eyes) but now I hardly have any of those symptoms.

I too have visited the doctor several times and each time I am told that I have allergic rhinitis and that is causing the drainage and making me feel so bad. I have tried almost every prescription allergy med out there and I used used Rhinocort with absolutely no relief at all. The only thing I found that helped me was Benadryl and now that doesn't work either. I am completely miserable and very tired of feeling sick. I am currently taking high doses of vitamin C and garlic but have not been doing on a consistent basis to see any results.

I am hoping that when the weather cools down out here (in Arizona). Right now we are still in the 100's during the day, ragweed will stop blooming and I will feel better. But I remember being very ill around Christmas time last year with the post nasal drip and it was pretty cool outside. I am searching for a cure to feel better without allergy shots or prescription medication. But if I have to, I will go see an allergist again.

[This message has been edited by Chrislynn (edited 09-17-2003).]

Old 09-19-2003, 10:59 PM   #3
cshore

cshore HB User
Chrislynn,

Your symptons sound the most like what I am suffering from. I didn't have any problems like this till I was given three scripts for antibiotics over a three mos period... and this was 4 yrs ago... it was for a spider bite.. for the last few yrs I thought I had candidia.. but after going to an allergist, I found I am mildly allergic to grass and some foods. I have this constant post nasal drip... and I was presribed Allegra... I don't take it every day though, coz I can already see that if I do that, I may become immune to it. Benadryl works even better for me... but again I am not going to take it everyday because I am afraid it will stop working for me like you said it did on you. I am also taking Collidal Silver everyday.. and it seems to help alittle bit.. I just ordered the Advanced Collidal Silver and I am hoping that that will work even more.
I never had any alleriges.. like my mom and sisters did... and mine are so different.. in that I am never congested, have itchy eyes... or anything like they do. I just have watery eyes and this constant white sticky stuff in my throat that I feel like I have to suck up and then spit out. It is gross and very unlady like, and I hate it and I wish I could find something that will get rid of it.
CShore

Old 09-20-2003, 11:57 AM   #4
vrie

vrie HB User
Chrislynn--

I'm in southern NV myself allergic to bermuda grass and tumbleweed of all things-- they call those "seasonal" allergies, but we know better! I find myself sleeping like 13 hours a day when the wind blows and allergies kick up. I just feel awful! When i don't have allergy probs I sleep about 6 hours. Depending on which one is blowing in the wind, I get different symptoms. Maybe the sick stuff is something they didn't test for.

Old 09-20-2003, 05:14 PM   #5
Chrislynn

Chrislynn HB User
CShore-

I know what you mean about having to hack up and spit being very "unladylike". When I am at home, I'm constantly running to the sink to spit the pleghm up but when I'm at work, I am hesitant when I am in the public restroom because I don't want someone to walk in as I am making that horrid noise. I have tried a lot of things to get rid of this annoying problem and so far have not been too successful. I read a post about the Grossan nasal irrigator. It seems a little more complex than the nasal irrigation I am currently doing with the netipot but the cost is more and I feel I have spent a lot of money on dr. visits, allergy meds, nasal sprays, herbs and natural treatments that I fear wasting more money and not finding a cure. I was taking SeaSilver which I believe has the colloidal silver in it and I really did not find any relief with that. I'm glad it is helping you though. As soon as I find something that works, I'll be sure to post it. Good luck and take care.

Vrie-

I too sleep a lot when my allergies are acting up, that is when I can of course. Since today is Saturday, I slept nearly 14 hours because I felt so yucky! Then I woke up with a raging headache from sleeping too long! I agree that they are not "seasonal"...they used to be but now I seem to suffer all year long. We have a lot of tumbleweeds out here too, I did not know you could be allergic to them. I'm probably allergic to them too since I'm allergic to everything else. I hope your allergies calm down soon. Take care.

[This message has been edited by Chrislynn (edited 09-20-2003).]

Old 09-20-2003, 06:06 PM   #6
MrsLee
Veteran
(female)

MrsLee HB User
This sounds like what I have. I constantly have a stuffy nose, post nasal drip, headaches, and sometimes even sore throat and fever. I am always run down and have no energy. I went to an ENT and he said I had a deviated septum. I got it surgically corrected, and I am still having the same problems. I'm sorry to hear you all are suffering too, but it's kinda nice to know I'm not the only one going through this.

Old 09-23-2003, 09:59 PM   #7
cshore

cshore HB User
Chrislynn..

Yes that is what I do alot also.. constantly running to the sink when I am at home to spit but it is mostly in the morning... and when I am in the car, I have to spit into a napkin... and I am always hoping that the person in the car next to me doesn't see me doing this. I used to look at people that spit in the parking lots.... (usually men) and think... that is gross, why must they do that?? Now I can understand.. but I still won't do it so out there like they do...LOL....
I did get the advanced colodial silver... and I don't think it is working any better then the regular silver, so next time I will just get the regular and save my money. I took a Benadryl today and it seems that one a day keeps me pretty dry... BUT I don't want to take it everyday, because it is the only thing that I have tried to this point that gives me relief... and I don't want to become immune to it. I hate thinking of spending the rest of my life with this crap.. I am 46... and another 40 yrs of this is not something that I want to thing about having. I recently bought Mucinex.. not sure about the spelling.. but save your money it didn't work for me.
I too have seen several Drs... even had some cultures done in my mouth since I thought it was a Candidia overgrowth and they all came back normal...but when the antihistimines seemed to work, that is when I put it together that it must be allergies.
I will let you know if anything else works.. I am always trying new things!!
C.

Closed Thread