It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

Oral Allergy Syndrome.....Anyone??

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-28-2003, 06:37 AM   #1
aragan68

aragan68 HB User
Post Oral Allergy Syndrome.....Anyone??

Hello there, I am new to the board. I just recently nailed down the logic to all my food allergies. I have had hayfever and the like since childhood, and started developing food allergies as I got older. I was searching on food allergies trying to find information and found a site about OAS on accident. After all these years I found something describing my ailments! I have only met one person, in my whole life, who had the same type of reactions. It has steadily gotten worse as I age, to the point that I will actually instantaniously vomit from eating certain foods. (sorry to be so graphic) I would just like to talk to others who have this same thing, my husband is teasing me about naming my allergies, but I have searched lots of allergy sites and books and never found anything that "really" pertained to me.

------------------
Alisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2003, 07:13 PM   #2
Laney00
(female)

Laney00 HB User
I have OAS also, self diagnosed though, and finally learned last month or so that it's what I have!
Mine is pretty mild though, just can't eat many raw veggies and fruits and nuts...my mouth gets very itchy and irritated. Sometimes my ears get itchy as well as my throat. I never get any major allergy symptoms from it besides those things. However I am allergic to pollen and other outdoor allergens.
I posted a few things recently to others on this syndrome and no one seemed to respond that they had it. Its good to hear I'm not alone!
So, you really vomit from some foods? Which ones? That sounds awful. I heard that it may be possible to counteract these allergies by taking an antihistimine before eating bothersome foods. The other day I was on clarinex and tried a little slice of banana and symptomes weren't as bad as normal, but I was scared to eat the whole banana!
Anyway, feel free to write more about this annoying OAS, since it seems so rare!

Old 09-28-2003, 07:46 PM   #3
aragan68

aragan68 HB User
I was wondering if anyone would respond. I have been doing a lot of reading on OAS, and it amazes me. I often wondered if it was related to my other allergies. I have had testing, and was allergic to all the trees, weeds, grasses, etc...the only things I didn't react to were mold and animals!! So, I had pretty much summed up that I was allergic to anything that grew out of the ground. I have spontaniously vomited (I hate that word) from strawberries and bananas. I have had my breathing almost shut down from an apple, and a nectarine. Those are just some of the things I continued to try to eat. I quit eating most other fruits a long time ago, but the things that had just caused a minor reaction, which for me is the itching, I continued to try to eat. It has gotten steadily worse over the last few years (I am 35) The itching moved from my mouth to my throat (inside and out), into my inner ears. Then it started expanding to my whole head, chest, back. Just this last year I started getting nausiated and vomiting from eating it. The difficulty breathing is what scared me the most. I thought that the nectarines weren't bothering me to much, so I had been eating them with just minor discomfort. Then one day, I was half through one and my throat started closing. It was very scary. I was carrying the e-pens, but they expired, I need to get some more. You really need to be careful of things. I ordered a raspberry drink when we were at the beach, I had only had a few sips of it and started feeling sick, I made it to the bathroom, but was in there for over 15 minutes, I couldn't stop throwing up...it was terrible. I thought I was going to die in this bathroom! Yuk, so now I am very careful about drinks and such. No smoothies or any of that. How are you on Soy? I can't tolerate that either. And if I eat bread, I pay later. I did go for food testing, and they were amazed at how bad I reacted, but I was surprised that I didn't have positives to some things that I know I can't tolerate. But, in my research I see that if they don't use extract from fresh fruit, you may show negative to it. That was very interesting. Sorry this is so long, it is just nice to talk to someone who shares this unique problem.

------------------
Alisa

Old 09-28-2003, 08:00 PM   #4
Laney00
(female)

Laney00 HB User
well actually, I don't know what you read, but as I understand it, its not actually considered a food allergy, its the protein structure in the fruits, veggies, etc. that resemble the structure of pollens almost exactly, so ours bodies turn on the histimines to fight the invader when this enters! This is why the reaction is like an allergic reaction. Does this make sense?
Also it says that in rare cases that the things that happen to you- will occur. So you sound like the lucky rare case! I can't even believe how serious your situatin is! Is this info similar to what you read on it?
I am not sure how I am with soy.
So how does your doc or allergist deal with this, did you mention you know it is OAS? Did he/she agree?

Old 09-29-2003, 05:41 AM   #5
aragan68

aragan68 HB User
That all makes sense. I have not seen an allergist lately, or since I have read this information. I went to one a couple of years ago for the food allergy testing, it came back positive on most of the stuff that I react to, and some things I didn't know about...like potatoes, rice, wheat, rye, etc.....because I always eat these things cooked, I didn't even know. All they say is to avoid the foods, and carry an epipen. That does me a lot of good. If I eliminated all the food I have problems with, all I would be left with would be meat, milk, and sugar! I eat a lot of unsweetened applesauce, canned pineapple, and such. I seem fine with oranges and grapefruit, if I wash my hands after I peel them. And how do you do with iceberg lettuce? I am fine with that in small amounts, its the dark green stuff that really gets me. I have been trying to follow a diet with my DD to lose some weight, and we are supposed to eat 3 fruits and 3 veggies a day, so I get bored with the same fruits, but I'm trying to think of better ways to get creative. We moved to NC this last year, and it kills me with all the fresh produce everywhere. Just about every road you go down, out here in the country, there is a veggie stand with stuff out of thier gardens!! How do you get all your servings in? I wonder about the allergy shots, I have read where people took shots for Birch allergies, and were able to eat apples! Not everyone they tested could, but a large percentage, they followed it for 30 months, if I remember right, about 50% regained sensitivity after that time had passed. So, that doesn't sound to promising to me. Would you have to continue the shots to be able to eat the food...like forever....no thanks!!

Old 05-25-2005, 05:33 AM   #6
mking30
(female)

mking30 HB User
Re: Oral Allergy Syndrome.....Anyone??

Hi, I'm new to the boards, but am really glad I signed up!
I think I may have Oral Allergy Syndrome - I have been having swelling and itching from certain fruits since around Christmas time 2004, and it has steadily gotten worse, with the reaction happening with more and more different kinds of fruits.
BUT... I have also had a similar reaction to a strawberry flavoured lip balm - a freebie from Uni, so I doubt there was any real fruit in it. Can anyone help me explain this in relation to possible OAS?
How did everyone else get diagnosed? I saw my Doc in February, but she just told me to avoid the fruits I was reacting to. Unfortunately, this list is getting steadily longer, and now I the only fruit I can eat that is in the house on a regular basis is citrus fruit, apples and grapes. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get a definite diagnosis?
If it makes a difference, I have had non allergic Asthma all my life, and hayfever since I was 16 (I'm now 20)
Sorry this post is so long, but I'm so relieved I'm not alone, and not just wierd (well, not in allergy terms, anyway!)

Michelle

Old 05-25-2005, 05:39 PM   #7
artbuggy3
(female)

artbuggy3 HB User

I have self-diagnosed myself with it too. I forgot to mention it to my allergist last time i was there but i have the itching of the lips and mouth and swelling of the throat. It doesn't constrict (is that the right word) my breathing but just more of an uncomfortable feeling. I react to many things including apples, oranges, sugar snap peas, soy milk, pears (a big one), plumbs, peaches (another big one), and more i can't think of at the moment. I am on Zyrtec for tree and grass allergies but it doesn't seem to help with the OAS. Great to know there are others out there!

Old 05-26-2005, 06:45 AM   #8
KN1999
(female)

KN1999 HB User

I have OAS. I actually did research first cause when I eat raw carrots, cherries and apples my mouth would get REALLY itchy, my lips would swell, my thoat would feel like I had chicken bones in it!! Then the itchiness would move to my ears and nose. Finally my eyes would itch and turn blood red!! So I looked it up and found a site on OAS and read that if you are allergic to these pollens or molds these fruits and veggies react with you. SO I figured I was allergic to birch. Well my PCP told me to go to an allergist to get it checked out cause she was conserned with possible food allergies and she said that the symptoms I had were not normal. I went to the allergist and he said it was OAS, BUT after he tested me we found out that I was actually allergic to carrots and apples!! We also found out that I am allergic to soy and peanuts. Talk about a shell shock cause soy is in everything!!!! (and you have to watch cause veggie oil is soybean!!) I have not eaten soy in a week and let me tell you I feel GREAT!!!! I am on allergie shots which are SO much better than I though, I HATE needles!! I HOPE to beable to less sensitive to these things. I go in for a check up at the end of June. My doc said that the shots are recommended for 5 years. I feel SO great I plan on getting them for the next 5 years!! He said it acts like an immunization and helps your body fight the allergies so that you can tolerate them!! He prescribed me an Epi pen just in case!!

Old 08-21-2005, 12:21 PM   #9
mking30
(female)

mking30 HB User

Well, after much procrastination and doctor hopping, I have been reffered to an immunologist
The main thing I'm wondering is... are there any specific tests that should be done to confirm oral allergy syndrome? I don't really know what to expect from my appointment, but need to know if there's a test I need to request especially for oral allergy syndrome, or if a definite diagnosis can be made from something like a skin test, you know the one where they put a blob of an allergen onto your skin, then put a needle into the skin through it. (Sorry if this sounds a bit of a long way to say it, but the word I want is being censored)

I'm grateful for all and any info you can provide,
Thanks
Michelle

Last edited by mking30; 08-21-2005 at 12:23 PM.

Old 08-30-2005, 08:15 AM   #10
flower75

flower75 HB User

Well count me in. I also have OAS. I had never gone to the doc for it just mentioned it once while being seen for some other allergy related thing. But doc didnt seem to know what it was. Said maybe acid reflux! Duh. Anyhow I hit the big 30 and want to start eating better. I thought since I can eat the fruit and Vegetables cooked then it must not be an allergy and maybe there was some cure or magic pill I could take. I found what was wrong with me from doing some internet research. I can remember it started when I was maybe 8-9 yrs old. My dad brought home some nuts in the shell at x-mas time and I cracked some open and thats when it all started. I can eat peanuts and cashews.They dont bother. But not walnuts and a few others im not sure of there names. Then it started with watermelon. and went from there to the point were if its fresh I cant eat it. I get an itchy throat and ears. I get a pain down my throat to my stomach. And my throat gets all flemmy. Gross. It last for an hour or so depending on how much I eat. But I try not to eat any of it. Lettuce doesnt bother me if its on a sandwich from a fast food place or like on a hamburger. But if its on a sandwich from Subway it bothers me. I have nasty allergys. I had the poke test done on my arms for allergys last year and I think 28 out of 32 things swelled up. Cat was the worse of all them. I didnt ask this doc about the food allergy I was seeing him for sinus problems and forgot to ask him darn it!So no fresh fruits or Vegetables and no cats. bummer.. And I have never came across anyone who has this problem. One more thing..when I eat apples I'll get 1 or 2 big blisters on my lips and when I was little (when you didnt know any better about eating raw eggs) It would bother me if I licked the spoon after my mom made a cake or something .Not sure if it was the eggs or what not but raw cookie dough and cake batter also get to me!!! I just want to be normal!

Old 08-30-2005, 09:42 AM   #11
Tina09621

Tina09621 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flower75
Well count me in. I also have OAS. I had never gone to the doc for it just mentioned it once while being seen for some other allergy related thing. But doc didnt seem to know what it was. Said maybe acid reflux! Duh. Anyhow I hit the big 30 and want to start eating better. I thought since I can eat the fruit and Vegetables cooked then it must not be an allergy and maybe there was some cure or magic pill I could take. I found what was wrong with me from doing some internet research. I can remember it started when I was maybe 8-9 yrs old. My dad brought home some nuts in the shell at x-mas time and I cracked some open and thats when it all started. I can eat peanuts and cashews.They dont bother. But not walnuts and a few others im not sure of there names. Then it started with watermelon. and went from there to the point were if its fresh I cant eat it. I get an itchy throat and ears. I get a pain down my throat to my stomach. And my throat gets all flemmy. Gross. It last for an hour or so depending on how much I eat. But I try not to eat any of it. Lettuce doesnt bother me if its on a sandwich from a fast food place or like on a hamburger. But if its on a sandwich from Subway it bothers me. I have nasty allergys. I had the poke test done on my arms for allergys last year and I think 28 out of 32 things swelled up. Cat was the worse of all them. I didnt ask this doc about the food allergy I was seeing him for sinus problems and forgot to ask him darn it!So no fresh fruits or Vegetables and no cats. bummer.. And I have never came across anyone who has this problem. One more thing..when I eat apples I'll get 1 or 2 big blisters on my lips and when I was little (when you didnt know any better about eating raw eggs) It would bother me if I licked the spoon after my mom made a cake or something .Not sure if it was the eggs or what not but raw cookie dough and cake batter also get to me!!! I just want to be normal!
I have severe food allergies, and when I go to Subway I ask the server to use new gloves, remember they touch all kind of food while preparing sandwiches. My worst allery is for tomatoes. Last weekend after washing dishes I got all itchy and swollen and did not know why. Thinking of everything I had eaten or done that day, I remember that I washed a dish with spagetti sauce. So now I have gotten that worse, that I can not even touch tomatoes. And this is after 3 years of getting allery shots.

Closed Thread