It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

After 3/4 drinks, ill for several days

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-17-2003, 03:18 PM   #1
tuyre

tuyre HB User
Post After 3/4 drinks, ill for several days

I drink occasionally, but if I ever drink more than about 3 or 4 drinks, I have a severe hangover that lasts about 4 days. Symptoms include: extreme fatigue, stomach pains (my stomach also feels swollen and bloated), loose stools even though I may get a feeling not unlike constipation before hand, inability to concentrate, unwilling to leave my home because of all of the symptoms, tight chest, greasy feeling skin on my face.

I have explained this to my doctor, who wrongly suggests that I am hiding an alcohol problem, and has tried suggesting that I get alcohol counselling. I know this doctor is wrong, and I have some sort of allergic reaction to alcohol. Does anyone else get this? And is there a specific medical term relating to these symptoms that I can tell my doctor, Ďhey this is what Iíve got is there anything you can do?í

By the way, I donít get flushes or anything like that whilst drinking, in the same way that a lot of Asians get, this problem affects me in the days that follow a few drinks. I donít need anyone to tell me Ďjust donít drinkí, Iíve heard that already from people, this post is to get a medical term for what Iím suffering from and to hear from other people who may have had the same condition.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2003, 04:26 PM   #2
Frustrated1

Frustrated1 HB User
Have you considered that you have Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Persons with this type of syndrome have problems drinking an excessive amount of alcohol.

You may want to look at the IBS board.

Do you have other allergies such as to Diary, wheat or other grains?

Old 09-18-2003, 06:32 PM   #3
tuyre

tuyre HB User
Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't actually drink excessively, this is the point Iím making.

The stomach and bowel part of the symptoms are just one aspect. I actually feel like my system is full of toxins, and I know this also gives digestive problems. I read that alcohol is broken down in 2 stages, and if you donít break down the derivative left from the 1st stage then you can feel ill, but still this should leave me feeling ill for 3, 4 and 5 days sometimes just from a few pints of lager.

Anyone else get this?

Old 09-18-2003, 06:34 PM   #4
tuyre

tuyre HB User
Forgot to say, I will look at the boards you mention anyway, I may find something useful as you suggest.

Thanks.

Old 09-19-2003, 09:23 AM   #5
naturenut5

naturenut5 HB User
Just a thought...are you allergic to molds? In the process of making alcohol, it must go through a fermenting stage. Fermenting can cause molds in the alcohol. As a second thought, do you have any thyroid problems? I had Graves disease(hyperthyroidism) and couldn't even take a sip of alcohol without feeling sick for days. Unfortunately, now that it's been corrected and I'm hypothyroid, the alcohol sensitivity is still around, making me think it's the molds in the alcohol that are my problem.

Old 09-20-2003, 11:04 AM   #6
Frustrated1

Frustrated1 HB User
I did not want to imply that you had a drinking problem, but many people like myself cannot drink a large amount of alcohol without problems. A large amount is very subjective because we are all affected by differing amounts of alcohol consumption. For me it is about 2 drinks and my stomach goes haywire.
I get bloated, tired and have diaherra

Old 09-22-2003, 10:49 AM   #7
tuyre

tuyre HB User
[For naturenut5:] Thanks for the suggestion. I will research the idea about allergy to molds, I have since read a few lines about people with allergies to brewers yeast but no much more. I have no known allergies except my affliction with alcohol. I wonder if my GP (General Practitioner) will allow me to have any tests, I suspect that the GP will not want to be bothered.

[For Frustrated1:]
No problem, I also get a host of otehr symptoms related to sleep, concentration, feverish sometimes etc. In a way its similar to toxic poisening of some sort.

Tuyre.

Old 10-02-2003, 11:17 AM   #8
Greta

Greta HB User
I do not feel sick for days after alcohol. However, recently, i have started to feel ill (very fatigued and out of it) the next day from the slightest bit of alcohol (less than 1 drink - like half a glass of wine). I always drink early in the evening, drink lots of water, get at least 8 hours sleep, and eat dinner. So i have no idea what is causing this.

I have experimented and find that this happens with all types of alcohol(not just wine). Any idea what could be causing this and how to stop it? I like to have 1/2 drinks only, but can't even do that anymore. I have asked 2 doctors and they just blew it off.

Old 10-02-2003, 05:59 PM   #9
kjd

kjd HB User
More than 3 or 4 drinks can be "excessive" for some people. Are you usually intoxicated with a few drinks?

Your doc may be suggesting alcohol problems because most people stop drinking when alcohol makes them severely ill, so he sees your persistence as a desperation to keep drinking.

What types of alcoholic beverages are you consuming? Do all alcoholic drinks cause problems (e.g. beer, wine, hard liquor), or just certain drinks or mixes of drinks?

Closed Thread