It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Anyone allergic to Aspirin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-11-2003, 12:00 PM   #1
    air_20
    (female)

air_20 HB User
    Post Anyone allergic to Aspirin

Is anyone allergic to Aspirin (N.S.A.I.D.S)? If so, do you know of any other types of things to aviod that may be related to being allergic to Aspirin, that I may not be aware of? Has anyone had any really bad side affects from taking Aspirin?
    Thanks!!

------------------
    airees

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2003, 03:23 PM   #2
    rubindj

rubindj HB User
    Keep in mind that side effects and allergies are not the same thing. And an allergy to aspirin (esp. apirin) would not indicate that your allergic to other NSAIDs.

Good luck!

Old 10-11-2003, 06:06 PM   #3
    air_20
    (female)

air_20 HB User
    Hi rubindj,
    Thanks for your reply!!
    I went to an allergy doctor that stated that I'm allergice to Aspirin (my throat started to close on me and I get swollen REALLY BAD), he stated that I should stay away from all N.S.A.I.D.S., (None Steroid Anti Inflammatory Drugs) I also had an allergic reaction to Pepto Bismol. This is the reason I was checking if there is anything else I should be aware of that I may not know of, I've been keeping an Epipen on me just in case.

Old 10-11-2003, 06:18 PM   #4
    air_20
    (female)

air_20 HB User
    Oops forgot, I've also had an allergic reaction to ibuprofen too.

Old 10-11-2003, 06:24 PM   #5
    rubindj

rubindj HB User
    Pepto's main active ingredient is Bismuth. Its hard to know if that's what you reacted to, but for what its worth, I would avoid it until told differently.

Old 10-12-2003, 07:45 AM   #6
    plm
    (female)

plm HB User
    I am allergic to aspirin. After breaking out in hives a few times about 5 years ago, I realized it was the aspirin. Just became allergic at 44 years old! A lot of people allergic to aspirin also have "cross reactions" with other pain relievers, but not always. I tried everything else and found I was allergic. I can only take Tylenol which does not have an anti-inflammatory ingredient like the others.

One thing I learned is that once you have this allergy, each time you take something, the reaction could be worse. Your throat can close completely and you can go into anaphalactic shock and die. So it isn't something to mess around with.

If you had problem with Pepto Bismol and it doesn't have an aspirin-type ingredient, who knows, maybe there is some other medicine you are allergic to.

Old 10-12-2003, 10:25 AM   #7
    LarLarz

LarLarz HB User
    I am not allergic to asprin, but I am allergic to Acetominahin. (ex. Tylenol) I break out in huge hives everywhere! I actually now can only take asprin or IB Profien.

Old 10-12-2003, 07:50 PM   #8
    Laney00
    (female)

Laney00 HB User
    Salicylic acid is the main component to aspirin...and if you look at the ingredients to Pepto :
    Bismuth SUBSALICYLATE.

Here is a direct quote from [url="http://www.dooyoo.co.uk"]http://www.dooyoo.co.uk[/url]
    "In particular, you should speak to your doctor before using Pepto-Bismol if you have ever had any reaction to Bismuth subsalicylate or any other salicylates, including aspirin"

That is why pepto gave you trouble.

Here is a useless fact: Aspirin was originally made from willow tree bark (the tree family named SALICACAE)

Hope that's helpful - I would watch for this ingredient in other OTC meds

Old 10-14-2003, 07:32 AM   #9
    air_20
    (female)

air_20 HB User
    Hi plm,
    Actually the last time I took Aspirin my throat did start to close on me, my allergy doctor also mention to me that I could die from taking it. You're right everytime I've taken it the allergies do get worse, I now keep an Epipen on me at all times and Benadryl (liquid) just in case. I also can only take Tylenol. Thanks for the help!!!

Old 10-14-2003, 07:41 AM   #10
    air_20
    (female)

air_20 HB User
    Hi Laney00,
    You're right about Pepto, it does have a warning on the back of the Pepto bottle that says something about if you are allergic to salicylates including aspirin don't use it. Thanks for your help, I'll stay away from that one too.

Old 10-14-2003, 07:49 AM   #11
    air_20
    (female)

air_20 HB User
    Hi LarLarz,
    I guess anyone can have an allergic reaction to almost anything. I get really bad hives from pepto, ibuprofin and aspirin, the same way you get really bad hives from Tylenol. I know exactly how you feel, thanks!!!

Closed Thread