It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

weird food allergies anyone?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-07-2003, 08:20 PM   #1
raindrop

raindrop HB User
Post weird food allergies anyone?

Hey everyone, I just was wondering if anyone has heard of or has odd food allergies. I get anaphylaxic reactions to leek and mango, believe it or not, and I wanted to know if anyone has heard of anything similar.
Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2003, 07:39 AM   #2
n7ynk
Inactive

n7ynk HB User
Check the families of these foods, like Leek is in the lily family. Maybe there are other foods in that family that you are allergic too as well. Mango is in the cashew family....food for thought. Good luck

Old 08-11-2003, 08:36 PM   #3
raindrop

raindrop HB User
thanks for replying ~ there's so much unknown about food allergies still, especially unusual ones . . . there can also be a lot of hidden allergens from chemicals in drinks and stuff--that diet cream soda problem is definitely a mystery!!

Old 08-14-2003, 09:05 AM   #4
n7ynk
Inactive

n7ynk HB User
What are the ingredients in the diet creme soda? I have not been able to find the ingredients anywhere. I have done alot of research in the past on dairy allergies and it is amazing what forms dairy comes in.

Old 08-15-2003, 09:05 AM   #5
blondie24

blondie24 HB User
I get an anaphalactic reaction and hives from grape, pineapple, and mango.

It gets really hard sometimes because grape juice and pineapple juice are used in so many things to add flavor. For instance, a lot of BBQ sauces have pineapple in them. Most all mixed juices have grape. So I really have to watch it and worry and wish I could have my life back as far as that goes.

I was never allergic to these things before, I got my first reaction to mango about 4 years ago and in past two years acquired grape and pineapple. What next??

Old 08-16-2003, 05:11 AM   #6
n7ynk
Inactive

n7ynk HB User
Hey blondie24,
Try nasal irrigation. I use it & my allergies to dairy, chicken, & coffee are no more. Go figure? I guess flushing out the pollens in your nose turns off defense mechanisms your body produces. I have been using it since May 03 and it worked overnight. It is a new lease on life for me. Another friend of mine who had severe dairy allergies used it to and voila, she is no longer allergic to dairy.
Use 2 cups of warm purified water to 1/2 teaspoon of noniodized sea salt & 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda (fresh). I use a plastic syringe 60CC made for nasal irrigation. Life is great!

Old 08-21-2003, 09:21 AM   #7
danarock

danarock HB User
Question

Has anyone ever heard of a lettuce allergy? Every time I eat a lettuce salad, I get really bad stomach cramps, gas and bloating.

Old 08-21-2003, 01:34 PM   #8
cshore

cshore HB User
When I had my allergy testing done last week.. one of the foods that I am mildly allerigc to was lettuce, so I am supposed to avoid it for the next 6 weeks... this was one of the few things that I ate that was green since I Hate veggies. I never noticed that it made me uncomfortable though. You may be allerigc to lettuce though if it makes you feel bad.
C.Shore

Old 08-21-2003, 05:25 PM   #9
DonnaJuan

DonnaJuan HB User
Cool

I've heard of someone who was allergic to carrots and celery! I guess thats one way of not having to eat your vegetables! ;-) Haha! (sorry, i don't mean to be mean!)

Old 08-23-2003, 09:05 PM   #10
Laney00
(female)

Laney00 HB User
There is a thing called ORAL ALLERGY SYNDROME. If you have pollen allergies - the proteins in many uncooked veggies, fruits, and nuts are structurally similar to that of pollen so your body fights it like an allergy. However, your mouth will just get very itchy and irritated. I read that it usually doesnt' get any worse than that. I guess it isn't considered an actual food allergy.

I personally have this problem, it began when I was in my teens, (28 now). It really is a pain, but if any of these foods are cooked it breaks down that protein and I don't get the reaction.
Pretty weird huh?

Old 09-05-2003, 07:11 AM   #11
BlueEyezzMel
(female)

BlueEyezzMel HB User
I'm somewhat lactose intolerant and fructose intolerant.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Life DOES get better eventually....

Old 09-06-2003, 01:21 PM   #12
HAAR
(female)

HAAR HB User
My kids are hyper sensitive to ingesting of Chlorinated tap water.
It gives them coughs that develop into severe coughs. The doctors, said our 3 year old was developing asthma and that our 6 year old had just a sympathy cough. What a joke. That was 9 years ago and our younger child has never developed asthma. It was all just the chlorine tap water they were drinking.
Since this oringionally happened the kids have accidentally gotten new sources of chlorinated tap water and started coughing again and we would quickly figure it out and stop the new source and the coughing would stop immediatly.( new sources were the school, friends home etc.)
I looked it up in Medical books and found research on how chlorine effects humans. These symptoms matched what my kids were experiencing. Why did the doctors not know. It took me ten months to figure it out. Our 3 year old coughed so much it took her hours to get to sleep even with the help of cough many medicines. Many trips to her pediatricians and at times she would need asthma meds and antibiotics.

Old 09-11-2003, 06:26 PM   #13
Sweetie1

Sweetie1 HB User
I came across the same conclusion-Oral Allergy Syndrome-for me, too. I recently had a bad reaction to fresh kiwi/strawberry on a dessert. My lips started to itch and swell up, like bee stung my lips a few times. I also got itchy gums like gingivitis. I get this sort of reaction w/ mangos, avocados, apricots, apples, pineapple, etc, when they are raw. I never really thought much of it in the past because I could eat these fruits if processed (canned, baked,roasted, etc.). Recently, though, my husband thought it was very odd that my lips swelled up so much. I went online to search if this was anything I should be worried about and VOILA! I found that I have Oral Allergy Syndrome.

Old 09-12-2003, 06:59 PM   #14
heather47
(female)

heather47 HB User
I have 5 children-4 boys and 1 girl. Two of them have severe allergies. My oldest son who is 9 years is allergic to fish, eggs, soy severely and beef, pork, turkey, peanuts less severe. He also has pollen and feather allergies. My second son,6 years, is allergic to fish. Both boys can't eat store bought apples, pears, oranges and cherries-grapes are okay though. They develope hives and the 9 year old can have breathing trouble. Sometimes if they peel the fruit, it won't bother them. But the weird thing is they can walk into an orchard and eat fruit off the tree. I have always thought that they are using a pesticide or wax either at the store or in the field that the boys are allergic to. I haven't figured it out yet. Any ideas? Could it be an oral allergy?
Heather

Old 09-13-2003, 01:48 PM   #15
Laney00
(female)

Laney00 HB User
I read that oral allergy syndrome is not considered an actual food allergy, so hives and breathing troubles and those types of reactions wouldn't normally be considered under this syndrome. Also I don't think that meat and fish are involved in this allergy. However, I haven't read everything on it.

Closed Thread