It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

overuse of decongestant sprays

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-25-2003, 02:20 PM   #1
chromokim

chromokim HB User
Post overuse of decongestant sprays

Anyone else had this problem? I am trying to get off these without using steroids. Tried nasal irrigation and have problems with my ears. Just started accupuncture..first treatment seemed to help..had second and am plugged again. Any advice? Kim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2003, 07:39 AM   #2
SmileWithMe

SmileWithMe HB User
Lightbulb

Maybe try a cool mist humidifier while you sleep at night, some Vicks Vaporub around your nose, BreathRite strips ... If that doesn't work, maybe a hot shower so you can breathe the steam in and loosen up the stuffies. These are all tricks my allergist gave me while I was preggers (I couldn't use any of my prescriptions because of some complications). I've also used these tricks with my daughter who, unfortunatley, has inherited all my seasonal* allergies.

Using nasal sprays longterm actually can cause chronic "stuffiness."

Good luck!

SWM

* Seasonal translates into year 'round. Sheesh.

Old 10-29-2003, 01:22 PM   #3
MrsLee
Veteran
(female)

MrsLee HB User
I never understood why I couldn't use decongestant spray and recently found out. Apparently it permanently damages the inside of your nose after long term use, plus it causes "rebound" congestion, where using the spray actually causes you to be congested. Last time I got "addicted" to the stuff I had to have a steroid shot to stop using it. It sucks that you can't just use it all the time!

I agree that the cool mist humidifier helps, and also the vicks vaporub. I put it under or in my nose and the smell clears my nose out a little. Unfortunately, there is not much you can do. I take a prescription decongestant during the day, but the pseudoephedrine in it keeps me up at night, so I just suffer.

I'm sorry you have this problem too, good luck!

Closed Thread