It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Does anyone know anything about latex allergies??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-30-2003, 12:21 AM   #1
    Dazed_n_Confused

Dazed_n_Confused HB User
    Post Does anyone know anything about latex allergies??

Once again, I'm trying to capture the attention of those of you who may have had an experience or know of someone who has had an experience with an latex allergy. I am curious as to how long before others have noticed the reaction, and to how long it is before the reaction disappears. For me it's about 10 hours before I notice that anything is wrong, and about a week before the reaction fades away. I've tried to do some research on it before I make my way to the doctors office, but so far I'm not coming up with much. Please... any suggestions or advice you could provide me with would be greatly appreciated.

------------------
    Take care, Alicia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2003, 03:54 AM   #2
    n7ynk
    Inactive

n7ynk HB User
    I had bad reactions to latex gloves. Redness, bumps, and itching like there was no tomorrow. Mine would happen within 10 minutes of wearing the gloves and would take about 24 hours to dissapear.
    I thought I was allergic to latex, so I got an allergy test and I was allergic to milk/dairy. After some long research I found an article that stated part of the manufacturing process of making latex gloves was to soak them in milk to soften them. Go figure.

Old 10-30-2003, 10:40 AM   #3
    Dazed_n_Confused

Dazed_n_Confused HB User
    Interesting. I don'tdrink alot of milk, but when I do I've never noticed any sort of an reaction. Thanks for the suggestion though.

------------------
    Take care, Alicia

Old 04-18-2004, 08:57 PM   #4
    lbates68

lbates68 HB User
    Re: Does anyone know anything about latex allergies??

I have severe latex allergies now. They started 3 years ago, when I was wearing rubber work boots, while working in a muddy horse pasture. Even though they were lined w/cotton, and I had on socks, I broke out the next day. Each time I was exposed to latex, it got worse. It wasn't until I wore those wonderful electrician gloves, the docs fig'd out what was up. My hands are now scarred from the reaction, and my latex allergy is always on my mind. Over time, the reaction becomes quicker, and stronger...so be very careful...each exposure is more intense than the last, and I don't much care for the blisters, and the swelling it leaves behind...good luck...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Take care of your body, it has to last your whole life.

Old 04-20-2004, 10:29 AM   #5
    Vball_#4
    (female)

Vball_#4 HB User

I also have a latex allergy and I agree with Ibates68 that the more you expose yourself to latex the more of a reaction that you have. There is alot of things you have to avoid. There is a rast test through an allergist to be tested for the allergy but becareful if this is done in an hospital setting because the rubber band they put around your arm to draw your blood is latex. This can be a very dangerous allergy to have so if you suspect this is latex causing your symptoms I would see an allergist due to more exposure if you would every need surgery. There is several foods that cross react with latex which you can find by doing a search. I think kiwi is one. The gloves bother me the most which there is alot of different chemicals in them. I am allergic to the powder in them also and then they are vulcanized with sulfur which I am also allergic to so if you are reacting from just the gloves it could be hard to pinpoint what is causing the reaction.
    Vball_#4

Old 04-23-2004, 12:21 PM   #6
    Mara

Did the rast test show the allergy to sulfur?

Old 04-23-2004, 01:55 PM   #7
    Vball_#4
    (female)

Vball_#4 HB User

My rast test did not show the allergy to sulfur because I was being checked for latex. I can not tolerate sulfur, sulfates and sulfites it throws me into breathing problems. I had just found where the gloves are vulcanized with a sulfur compound. With my rast test it showed up in the gray area which meant I have a sensitivity to latex. When I am around the gloves I have trouble breathing which could be a reaction to the powder also. Is there a rast test for sulfur? Sulfur dioxide is what gives me alot of problems.
    Vball_#4

Old 04-24-2004, 11:00 AM   #8
    Vball_#4
    (female)

Vball_#4 HB User

Just wondering if you know what type of nuts because I have a severe allergy to pecans?
    Vball_#4

Old 04-25-2004, 10:43 AM   #9
    ALonelyOctober
    Inactive

ALonelyOctober HB User

I just found one of my mom's old pamphlets and it said "A number of foods can cause cross-reactivity in some people who have developed latex allergy. Some of the proteins in these foods are similar to those found in natural rubber latex and may trigger allergic reactions. It is essential to be aware of the potential of allergic reactions. Cross-reactive foods include but are not limited to: banana, avacado, kiwi, chestnut, tomato, potato, apricot, papaya, passion fruit, pineapple, peach, plum, cherry, melon, grape, and celery." I'm still looking up the nuts, but I'll post as soon as I find it.

Old 04-25-2004, 10:52 AM   #10
    ALonelyOctober
    Inactive

ALonelyOctober HB User

Heres a link that will tell more about foods and such with the latex allergy. [url]http://www.latexallergylinks.org/GreerLabs.html[/url] The peacan thing though vball, I'm not completely sure about it, but my mom said her doctor did say something about peacans and latex allergies in the past.

Old 04-28-2004, 11:04 AM   #11
    Mara

Not sure if it's a latex allergy or a reaction to the adhessive of the bandage but I had the reaction. I noticed the reaction a few hours later and because I itched it, it has turned into a rash. It's fading slowly.

Old 04-28-2004, 02:37 PM   #12
    ALonelyOctober
    Inactive

ALonelyOctober HB User

If your allergic to latex then you can get a reaction from the adhesive on bandages or bandaids. I suggest buying latex free bandaids etc.

Old 04-28-2004, 03:19 PM   #13
    Misty800
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

I am allergic to latex and if a bandaid is put on it takes only a few minutes to break out in red spots. Best to use paper tape and gauze, but, sometimes in the doctor's office they can slap on a bandaid in a flash before you have time to tell them "no".

It is necessary to announce that you are allergic to latex when the first person comes into the exam room.

The more you are exposed the worse the allergy will be with future contacts.

Bandaids have latex in the adhesive.

Old 05-02-2004, 04:33 AM   #14
    april in pain

april in pain HB User

I could not agree more with the messages I have read. I am latex allergic myself. My first experience was at the dentist. He was wearing latex gloves. My reaction came almost immediately. I suffered a severe anapylactic reaction. Not fun! anyone suffering from a latex allergy needs so seriously consider a latex safe dentist. The less you expose yourself to the offending allergen the safer and less reactive you will be.
    good luck to all.
    april in pain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    undefined

Old 05-02-2004, 04:35 AM   #15
    april in pain

april in pain HB User

Use a latex free band aid. They are hard to find though. I get mine through the hospital my hubby works for. Ask your doctor or allergist. They may be able to provide you with some. Or, point you in the directions on where to purchase them.

undefined

Closed Thread