It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• saline sprays, nasal irrigation, use of mixing baking soda, etc differences?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-31-2003, 12:02 AM   #1
    orange

orange HB User
    saline sprays, nasal irrigation, use of mixing baking soda, etc differences?

I hear people talk about the use of nasal irrigation to help clear a stuffy nose. What exaclty is this procedure? I use your typical OTC saline nasal spray like AYR and I'm curious if its the same as nasal irrigation? Also i hear lots of talk about people making their own saline nasal spray with the use of baking soda and mixing it with something else. Is there a difference when you make yoru own with baking soda or just use OTC stuff like AYR? Or are they even the samething?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2003, 08:56 AM   #2
    oncidium

oncidium HB User
    Re: saline sprays, nasal irrigation, use of mixing baking soda, etc differences?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by orange
    I hear people talk about the use of nasal irrigation to help clear a stuffy nose. What exaclty is this procedure?
    You can use a neti pot or attachment for a water pic. Just do a google search for "neti pot" and you can find the procedure described.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by orange
    I use your typical OTC saline nasal spray like AYR and I'm curious if its the same as nasal irrigation? Also i hear lots of talk about people making their own saline nasal spray with the use of baking soda and mixing it with something else. Is there a difference when you make yoru own with baking soda or just use OTC stuff like AYR? Or are they even the samething?
    You could use a saline nasal spray to irrigate, but it isn't necessary and would be more expensive.

Old 12-31-2003, 05:46 PM   #3
    reader1
    Veteran

reader1 HB User
    Re: saline sprays, nasal irrigation, use of mixing baking soda, etc differences?

I make my own using salt and baking soda, usually. Sometimes I use salt water with a little vinegar or a little hydrogen peroxide if I have quite a lot of congestion.

Closed Thread