It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• astelin? and brown mucous.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-01-2004, 03:48 AM   #1
    skittles411
    (female)

skittles411 HB User
    astelin? and brown mucous.

Does anyone use this? It's a nasal spray antihistamine. What side effects do you get? The allergist took me off of Allegra-D (which I think I had been having problems with) and put me on this stuff. I've been way tired all day but that's not necessarily because of the antihistamine.
    This is probably unrelated, but I also noticed that after my first and second times using it, I blew out chunks of really dark yellow/brown/red mucous (most of what comes out is clear and not so dense, and most of what I hack up is clear now too). Could this mean that I still have an underlying infection way up in my sinues? I use flonase nasal spray too but that hasn't made any dark brownish/yellowish/red chunks of mucous come out after using it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2004, 04:58 PM   #2
    reader1
    Veteran

reader1 HB User
    Re: astelin? and brown mucous.

I love Astelin. I do find that I will expel mucus within a few minutes after using it. If I use a nasal wash 10-15 minutes before using Astelin, that will usually expel any "surface" mucus and allow the astelin to get further into my nasal passages and work better. Sometimes I do get a little drowsy for about half an hour after using it. You might have an underlying infection and may want to talk to your doctor, particularly if you continue to blow out colored mucus.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by skittles411
    Does anyone use this? It's a nasal spray antihistamine. What side effects do you get? The allergist took me off of Allegra-D (which I think I had been having problems with) and put me on this stuff. I've been way tired all day but that's not necessarily because of the antihistamine.
    This is probably unrelated, but I also noticed that after my first and second times using it, I blew out chunks of really dark yellow/brown/red mucous (most of what comes out is clear and not so dense, and most of what I hack up is clear now too). Could this mean that I still have an underlying infection way up in my sinues? I use flonase nasal spray too but that hasn't made any dark brownish/yellowish/red chunks of mucous come out after using it.

Old 01-02-2004, 04:57 AM   #3
    skittles411
    (female)

skittles411 HB User
    Re: astelin? and brown mucous.

thanks. Well my doctor gave me a prescription for amoxicillin when I went a week and a half ago complaining of another sinus infection and told me not to fill it unless I got a fever/other symptoms, or the symptoms persisted for over a week. So I filled it yesterday since it's been over a week and I still have yellow/brown stuff, and I've been on it for a day and a half and I feel so much better already (of course I'm going to take ALL of it ) that I must have some infection.
    I think the astelin is helping relieve symptoms too, I dont feel itchy any more either.

Closed Thread