It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Any relief for perfume allergies?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-11-2004, 08:52 AM   #1
    UH-60
    (male)

UH-60 HB User
    Any relief for perfume allergies?

I've suffered for four years with this dreadful condition. After extensive research I haven't found a cure. Has anyone found any relief? Doctors were no help at all. In fact, some of them hinted that I have a mental problem. What an insult.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2004, 09:48 AM   #2
    ny01
    (male)

ny01 HB User
    I share your misery....

I have had this four 2 years. What are your symptoms? I get total brain fog for hours and my eyes get baggy and swollen. Nothing seems to help me. Anyone know of anything??? Doctors are worthless. I have been to many and they all look at me strange. Up until two years ago, I was a perfectly healthy 29 year old guy that never went to the doc. Now I am in a fog everytime I encounter perfumes, cleaners, new carpet, paint, etc.

Old 01-21-2004, 10:13 AM   #3
    eliteagrus

eliteagrus HB User
    Re: Any relief for perfume allergies?

I was told that unless you have a histimine type reaction that you are not allergic (Not that I believe it) My dr told me that my reactions to perfume (instant horrible headache like someone hit me with a frying pan) were perfume INTOLERANCE.

If I wash my hair with a shampoo that has added fragrance, my head will hurt til I wash it again (washing the fragrance out)

I know of no cure but avoidance.

{{Good luck}}

Old 01-21-2004, 04:20 PM   #4
    PinkBanana

PinkBanana HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eliteagrus
    I was told that unless you have a histimine type reaction that you are not allergic (Not that I believe it) My dr told me that my reactions to perfume (instant horrible headache like someone hit me with a frying pan) were perfume INTOLERANCE.

If I wash my hair with a shampoo that has added fragrance, my head will hurt til I wash it again (washing the fragrance out)

I know of no cure but avoidance.

{{Good luck}}
    have you considered your headache may be a sinus headache?
    you may not realize that your sinuses are swollen when they are.
    just an idea.

Old 01-21-2004, 04:57 PM   #5
    dagmarharris

dagmarharris HB User

Sounds like you are an HSP. It is what is called a "highly sensitive person".

It is not a pyschological problem, as one might think. It is real. I know I get very effected by smells. If someone is wearing a strong perfume I almost feel sick. I took a yoga class once,where I smelled someone's perfume, and it really distracted me. I tell you certain hair products get to me, too, as the person wrote above. I always tell the woman who cuts my hair to not put any products on in to hold it. They do indeed make me feel sick,
    dagmar

Closed Thread