It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Sore Throat

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-20-2004, 11:57 PM   #1
    Kaye2003
    (female)

Kaye2003 HB User
    Sore Throat

I've had a sore throat for months (worse in the evening), mouth dry and clearing throat alot. My ENT says GERD, but I'm on aciphex 3x day and have no heartburn, burping, etc. My family doc says yeast infection because it also burns under my denture. Gave me Rx. Didn't help. My question to you guys is: Do you think this could be sinus related? I have no nasal drip, no coughing, just sore throat, dry mouth and a swollen spot on my neck at the pulse point (don't know any other way to describe it) on the left side, right side seems normal, doesn't hurt and smaller than a pea. Any advise would be appreciated.
    God Bless

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2004, 02:18 PM   #2
    tailgate

tailgate HB User
    Re: Sore Throat

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kaye2003
    I've had a sore throat for months (worse in the evening), mouth dry and clearing throat alot. My ENT says GERD, but I'm on aciphex 3x day and have no heartburn, burping, etc. My family doc says yeast infection because it also burns under my denture. Gave me Rx. Didn't help. My question to you guys is: Do you think this could be sinus related? I have no nasal drip, no coughing, just sore throat, dry mouth and a swollen spot on my neck at the pulse point (don't know any other way to describe it) on the left side, right side seems normal, doesn't hurt and smaller than a pea. Any advise would be appreciated.
    God Bless
    I'm having the same problem. My doctor says that it is post nasil drip with a secondary infection.Mine hurts in the same place but on the left side. Today I had no problems until later in the day when i started to talk it seemed to trigger it. I think it's just a virus that is going around.

Old 01-21-2004, 03:18 PM   #3
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kaye2003
    I've had a sore throat for months (worse in the evening), mouth dry and clearing throat alot.
    From personal experience, if my sore throat is only on the top, back of my throat, then it is related to my sinuses, and usually an allergic reaction.

If the soreness is also on the front of my throat, then I've got an infection, probably in my sinuses and in my throat, and that one of the situations in which I used to take an antibiotic.

When I would get a cold or the flu, which isn't supposed to be treated by antibiotics, I would always wait until the front of my throat got sore, and then I would take antibiotics. This has always worked for me in shortening my misery from a cold or flu.

Now that I'm doing the "upside down sinus flooding" the game has changed and I don't know how I will react to my next cold.

Old 01-21-2004, 04:49 PM   #4
    chigs489
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chigs489 HB User

I developed a sore throat last night -it kept me up. I'm not sure if it is related to my sinus problems, but I'm willing to bet it is.

Along with this, I started getting some thick yellow discharge from my nose, which usually indicates a bacterial infection of some kind. I went to the hospital and demanded antibiotics -I'm sick of doctors telling me "it's just allergies." Yeah, allergies causing 7 weeks of misery?

Interestingly enough, when I started getting the yellow discharge, I immediately performed 2 sinus irrigations (using a machine). My protocol has been to mix some sea salt, alkalol, baking soda, and nettle leaf extract with warm water, and use this to irrigate. I could see all the yellow gunk come pouring out of my nose. My discharge after that has been 99% clear.

Old 01-21-2004, 09:37 PM   #5
    Kaye2003
    (female)

Kaye2003 HB User

Tailgate
    I didn't mention it in my first post, but my sore throat also bothers me after I talk more.
    Did see my GP again today. He now thinks GERD w/secondary infection from smoking. (trying to quit) Put me on Amoxi for 10 days. Hope this works. Had this sore throat since late summer.

Old 01-22-2004, 06:15 AM   #6
    chigs489
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chigs489 HB User

When I waas a teenager, I smoked, but I had to quit, because I always developed sore throats.

Do yourself a favor and kick the habit. It's going to cause you nothing but misery.

I actually had to quit drinking, because alcohol irritates the sinuses, causing them to swell.

Closed Thread