It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Allergies Message Board

  • Anyone Combine Allergy Meds?

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 01-31-2004, 10:38 PM   #1
    microwaveable
    Junior Member
     
    microwaveable's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2003
    Posts: 30
    microwaveable HB User
    Anyone Combine Allergy Meds?

    HI,

    I just completed allergy testing, severe allergies to cats, dogs, mold, dust, certain trees and many foods. My allergist switched me from zyrtec once a day to twice, it made me really tired, so she switched to Allegra D twice a day. The problem is that zyrtec controlled the allergic reactions, hives, rashes ect, but not the PND. Allegra does a really good job of controlling the PND, but not the hives. Does anyone combine allergy meds? I would like the benefits of both maybe take Allegra in the morning and Zyrtec at night. I'm also on Advair and Nasonex twice a day. Any Advice??

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 01-31-2004, 10:59 PM   #2
    PinkBanana
    Senior Member
     
    PinkBanana's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Posts: 172
    PinkBanana HB User
    Re: Anyone Combine Allergy Meds?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by microwaveable
    HI,

    I just completed allergy testing, severe allergies to cats, dogs, mold, dust, certain trees and many foods. My allergist switched me from zyrtec once a day to twice, it made me really tired, so she switched to Allegra D twice a day. The problem is that zyrtec controlled the allergic reactions, hives, rashes ect, but not the PND. Allegra does a really good job of controlling the PND, but not the hives. Does anyone combine allergy meds? I would like the benefits of both maybe take Allegra in the morning and Zyrtec at night. I'm also on Advair and Nasonex twice a day. Any Advice??
    I noticed Allegra never helped my hives also..I take Clarinex for that which works real well for me, unless I come into contact with something that seriously sets off my immune system.
    I know it's safe to use 2 different kinds of antihistamines..I had pneumonia not too long ago which gave me SEVERE PND and while I take Clarinex daily, my doctor told me I could also take Benadryl to help the PND and sleep.
    Have you considered Clarinex? I have asthma, allergic rhinitis and hives/atopic dermatitis also..and I find it works really well for all aspects for me.

     
    Old 02-01-2004, 04:30 AM   #3
    Micheline
    Junior Member
     
    Micheline's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2004
    Posts: 20
    Micheline HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Anyone Combine Allergy Meds?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by microwaveable
    HI,

    I just completed allergy testing, severe allergies to cats, dogs, mold, dust, certain trees and many foods. My allergist switched me from zyrtec once a day to twice, it made me really tired, so she switched to Allegra D twice a day. The problem is that zyrtec controlled the allergic reactions, hives, rashes ect, but not the PND. Allegra does a really good job of controlling the PND, but not the hives. Does anyone combine allergy meds? I would like the benefits of both maybe take Allegra in the morning and Zyrtec at night. I'm also on Advair and Nasonex twice a day. Any Advice??
    I have severe allergies that are cause also by cats, mold, dust from wild plants, trees and many foods which I have intolerance that could cause severe pain in the abdomen. I notice when I was on Advair that I had a good result. But I notice that my lung was more open. So when my allergies were at is point I always took Reactine Xtra Strong. Yes for me Advair (or Flovent witch I was taking before vith Ventalin) was like a booster it was making me activate in work in day time and at night I had to take it early in the evening or else I could not sleep a complete night. You have notice that I am taking past time. Actually I have weave off of Advair gradually. I started at the beginning of November and stop at the end of December 2003. I am taking a natural fruit juice witch is made from Noni fruit. My friend told me about it that could help me by building my immune system. So I got all the information on the Internet and I read some books. I have been taking one once in the morning and one once in the afternoon since the beginning of November, I did not have asthma attack cause by my allergies and take notice that I have allergies to Christmas tree also among other trees and I leave in the country in Canada were I am surrounded by them. That the reason that I see that good result. But I always have with me my Ventalin just in case and my Epipen auto injector and also Xtra-strong Réactine in my purse and at home. So I am happy to tell you that I am off steroids that was causing me to gained wait and making me to hyper active.

     
    Old 02-02-2004, 12:47 PM   #4
    dagmarharris
    Senior Member
     
    dagmarharris's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Posts: 172
    dagmarharris HB User
    Re: Noni juice....for postnasal drip?

    [QUOTE=Micheline]I have severe allergies that are cause also by cats, mold,

    ....I am taking a natural fruit juice which is made from Noni fruit. My friend told me about it that could help me by building my immune system. So I got all the information on the Internet and I read some books. I have been taking one once in the morning and one once in the afternoon since the beginning of November, I did not have asthma attack cause by my allergies and take notice that I have allergies to Christmas tree also among other trees and I leave in the country in Canada were I am surrounded by them. That the reason that I see that good result.....

    Hi Micheline, does it help with post nasal drip and some stuffiness? I am feeling it more today, but I also had a change in weater from warm weekend to a cold rain!!
    ~hope for feedback,
    dagmar
    p.s. is the noni juice from a heath food store? What is the brand name? Is it expensive...I took it a long time ago, but bought it from a distributor, and it was $40 a bottle!

    Last edited by dagmarharris; 02-02-2004 at 12:49 PM.

     
    Old 02-02-2004, 05:32 PM   #5
    Micheline
    Junior Member
     
    Micheline's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2004
    Posts: 20
    Micheline HB User
    Re: Anyone Combine Allergy Meds?

    For me the fruit juice it helps me alout for now...I have lest stuffiness...But that depend on the weather...Now we are in winter so the only problem that I have is some time my nose is block on one side or the other but it does not last long...We are heating are house with a wood oven so it is natural from the wood dust that I have a little reaction...But my asthma is under control for now...Before I had problem walking outside in the cold...Now I am able to walk without choking because of my allergies to Christmas tree...And mind you that we had temperature below -30F...But I am still septique and I am still searching on the Internet for more information on the fruit, and I am careful and notice I did not try spring yet where I am allergic to the flower of the trees when they bloom ...Yes in Canada I bought it from a Distibutor and it is more expansive than the state...In three months I will see my doctor so I will have a complet result of my health. There is no miracle cure for asthmatique people but if I can find a naturel way to help relieve my probleme cause by allergy, I am eager to try it. My doctor told me that rain and humidity is not good for allergies. For me in the summer I cough in the house if the window is open if it is humid or when it rain outside. For now I feel full of energy I hope that will be the same for the summer.

     
    Old 02-04-2004, 09:30 AM   #6
    microwaveable
    Junior Member
     
    microwaveable's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2003
    Posts: 30
    microwaveable HB User
    Re: Anyone Combine Allergy Meds?

    Pink,

    Thanks for the reply, you mentioned that you used Benedryl to help with the PND when you were ill with pneumonia, does Clarinex control it everyday...what I mean is when you are not sick other than allergies I have such a problem with PND, Zyrtec works wonders on the allergy symptoms, but not so well on PND.
    I need that miracle allergy pill that takes care of allergy, PND, non -drowsy and non - so hyper I'm climbing the walls...is there such a thing?????




    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PinkBanana
    I noticed Allegra never helped my hives also..I take Clarinex for that which works real well for me, unless I come into contact with something that seriously sets off my immune system.
    I know it's safe to use 2 different kinds of antihistamines..I had pneumonia not too long ago which gave me SEVERE PND and while I take Clarinex daily, my doctor told me I could also take Benadryl to help the PND and sleep.
    Have you considered Clarinex? I have asthma, allergic rhinitis and hives/atopic dermatitis also..and I find it works really well for all aspects for me.

     
    Old 02-04-2004, 11:54 AM   #7
    PinkBanana
    Senior Member
     
    PinkBanana's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Posts: 172
    PinkBanana HB User
    Re: Anyone Combine Allergy Meds?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by microwaveable
    Pink,

    Thanks for the reply, you mentioned that you used Benedryl to help with the PND when you were ill with pneumonia, does Clarinex control it everyday...what I mean is when you are not sick other than allergies I have such a problem with PND, Zyrtec works wonders on the allergy symptoms, but not so well on PND.
    I need that miracle allergy pill that takes care of allergy, PND, non -drowsy and non - so hyper I'm climbing the walls...is there such a thing?????
    Well..here's the thing. For the most part, I don't even notice the PND..the way I know it's there is there is when i'm sick the mucus accumulates in the back of my throat..and I know b/c of the horrible cough at nite and in the morning. For a really long time I didn't even notice it..I've been so congested for so long I barely even notice it anymore, my doctor is the one who mainly notices the PND and congestion. Clarinex is mainly used for my skin allergies BUT it does help with everything else..doesn't cure it but it makes things a little more livable and breathable. It's the difference between feeling miserable and feeling alright. Clarinex helps a lot with that itchy sneezy nose part though. I think I might have some other sinus problems though...we'll see about that tomorrow I'm seeing a specialist..but I do really like Clarinex. Doesn't make me sleepy or hyper. It helps a lot though, I highly reccomend it. I never feel GREAT..but I can feel normal with it. Sometimes it takes a while to find the right combo of drugs..you may need to switch around what you take for a little bit till you find it.

     
    Old 02-04-2004, 02:49 PM   #8
    Crossbow
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Crossbow's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2004
    Posts: 1,191
    Crossbow HB User
    Re: Anyone Combine Allergy Meds?

    When I was on Claritin and it wasn't working, the nurse at the "help line" said it was safe to take sudafed at the same time for congestion. (I had asked if I could take Benadryl and she said no.)

     
    Old 02-04-2004, 08:48 PM   #9
    PinkBanana
    Senior Member
     
    PinkBanana's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Posts: 172
    PinkBanana HB User
    Re: Anyone Combine Allergy Meds?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crossbow
    When I was on Claritin and it wasn't working, the nurse at the "help line" said it was safe to take sudafed at the same time for congestion. (I had asked if I could take Benadryl and she said no.)
    Really? My doctor said it's safe to combine Benadryl and Clarinex..but only if things are REALLY bad..and I was really bad off when I had pneumonia..Benadryl is one of the safest drugs you can combine with anything the main reason my doctor wanted me to take itw hen I had pneumonia was the sleepiness factor..I wasn't getting ANY sleep

     
    Old 02-05-2004, 03:22 AM   #10
    Micheline
    Junior Member
     
    Micheline's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2004
    Posts: 20
    Micheline HB User
    Re: Anyone Combine Allergy Meds?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PinkBanana
    Really? My doctor said it's safe to combine Benadryl and Clarinex..but only if things are REALLY bad..and I was really bad off when I had pneumonia..Benadryl is one of the safest drugs you can combine with anything the main reason my doctor wanted me to take itw hen I had pneumonia was the sleepiness factor..I wasn't getting ANY sleep
    Wow I had a different reaction with Benadryl. When I was in the hospital and they was puting it through my vein because I was biten by a wasp I was on the monitor connected, the nurse told me that I was like running. I did not relax at all. And the doctor told me to take Benadril a pile in the morning and one at night and I had to cut the one at night after three days because I could not sleep at all. It took a week before my face became normal. So the reaction to Benadryl is not the same for every one. So my advise is study the reaction of your body when you take new medication and combined it to others. Now I have alway with me in my purse a Sterile Epinephrine Auto-Injector and I have only three hours or less to get to the hospital. It is my second bite with a wasp and my reaction was very bad. My friend that is a nurse told me that if I get another bite I could d....Good luck

     
    Closed Thread

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
    Is anyone else ever worried that they won't wake up in the morning? jdsun Pain Management 8 10-04-2009 03:59 PM
    Allergy Shots Question Aarondawg Allergies 11 08-03-2009 07:29 AM
    Has anyone had a prob with mallinckrodt oxy? Sammiejoe Pain Management 5 08-24-2005 10:09 PM
    Anyone else allergic to soybean? Jenneve Allergies 1 03-12-2005 08:22 AM
    Has Anyone Tried Holistic/Homeopathic, And Other Alternatives For Their Allergies? Charlie Muffin Allergies 3 02-21-2005 03:45 PM
    Fast heart beat when waking up,anyone else?? Krissy Heart Disorders 28 01-02-2004 08:16 PM
    Questions, and getting no answers.....anyone with info or suggestions! MomtoMany Digestive Disorders 0 10-11-2003 03:51 PM




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:13 PM.





    © 2020 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!