It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• What finally cured my chronic hives

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-20-2004, 05:11 AM   #16
    uz2bface

uz2bface HB User
    Re: What finally cured my chronic hives

I can definitely say that sulfa is the closest thing to a cure I have found. Just wish it lasted indefintely. It is better than prednisone that is for sure. I have had to be on that for the better part of 2 years to tolerate dental work. That is the one area that sulfa didn't help. I still could not get dental work or get rid of the swelling in my mouth form the DPU unless I took prednisone and I had to get 18 crowns so it was a must. Now I have to taper by 1mg per month which is not quick enough for me. I gained 30 pounds from it and a couple new meds called lasix and atenolol for my rapid heart beat and edema. Hopefully they will leave when prednisone does in 3 more months providing there are no dependency complications. Hopefully my body makes cortisol after all this cause if not I will have to stay on the prednisone. I tell this to warn about prednisone use unless you really have no other choice. I didn't but in hind sight I think I would have endured a little more pain and a little less prednisone. I couldn't have gone without but I would have taken the minimum. It is easy to take when it is helping but no one thinks about the effects long term (myself included) and the real permanent problems you can create. I hope the sulfa keeps working good for years to come cause it is a relatively safe drug.

Oh, make sure you are taking folic acid. It is depleted by sulfa and get your blood and liver and kidney functions checked monthly for the first couple then quarterly then at least every 6 months. There is a chance it can cause liver or kidney or blood counts to have problems and you don't want to find that out too late. My first 2 docs that were giving it to me didn't do either and luckily it was ok but they didn't think it was necessary or just didn't know so make sure your doc does.

Navy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2004, 07:09 AM   #17
    Hogan Grimm
    (male)

Hogan Grimm HB User

Hey Navy,

Glad to see you back, and the sharing of your knowledge and wisdom is very much welcome. Once again you have proven yourself a worthy ally.

Hogan Grimm

Old 02-20-2004, 10:38 AM   #18
    uz2bface

uz2bface HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hogan Grimm
    Hey Navy,

Glad to see you back, and the sharing of your knowledge and wisdom is very much welcome. Once again you have proven yourself a worthy ally.

Hogan Grimm

It took me a while to figure out how to navigate this new board...

Old 02-24-2004, 12:58 PM   #19
    uz2bface

uz2bface HB User

Hi all,

Well, I talked to my derm doc and she is willing to let me try sulfa again so here goes. I will pick up the rx tomorrow and see her in a month. Maybe it will at least help this intense itch I am getting back since dropping the prednisone to 3 mg soon to be 2mg then 1mg then none I am terrified about the none but more terrified about taking it at all anymore since I gained so much weight and began the edema and tachycardia problems after so long on it. I will live with hives before I will take that much, that often, for that long again. This itching is driving me bananas though. Will keep you posted. How is it going for you Hairdoer? Are you taking it still and getting relief?

Navy

Old 02-28-2004, 08:21 PM   #20
    HAIRDOER
    (female)

HAIRDOER HB User

Thought I would post on here and let ya,ll know I am doing great on the sulfasalizine and the hives are getting less each day, and not one the past few days so I guess I will just stay on this longer this time and hopefully break the cycle for good this time. I am looking forward to summer this year because I won't be so worried about going swimming and having hives everywhere. Maybe I can actually do some more wakeboarding and my vacation won't be ruined because I can't walk and It will be so much better!! I am soooooo ready fo spring and school to be over so I can go out and PLAY with my kids!!! Will be so nice to not have my life ruled by how much fun I am having one day and not have to sit and watch from the sidelines. We may actuallu go snowskiing next year too!! I have high hopes anyway.

Old 02-29-2004, 07:29 AM   #21
    uz2bface

uz2bface HB User

Hairdoer,
    Just be careful. I didn't have them go completely. I still got them if I wore a regular pair of jeans or was too active. Is your doc checking your blood (cbc, lft, kft and a gpd-6(i think that is the test) and rbc's) because this is very important? Also are you taking folic acid specifically? It is depleted by sulfa.

Let me know. I was lucky since they didn't bother to check me until I found this doc and had no problems but it is possible.

Navy

Old 03-01-2004, 11:32 AM   #22
    uz2bface

uz2bface HB User

HI all,
    Not exactally the proper heading to tell this under but I finally got approved for disability retirement which should make ssd more attainable. I announce this because the more who get ssd under our conditions (although I have more than hives) the more they will give it in the future.

Take care,
    Navy

Old 03-04-2004, 04:53 AM   #23
    uz2bface

uz2bface HB User

Just an update. I am now on 1 gm a day of sulfa and I am not as itchy. It really works if you are able to try it. It doesn't cure but it sure makes it more bareable. Navy

Old 03-06-2004, 08:17 PM   #24
    HAIRDOER
    (female)

HAIRDOER HB User
    Smile Re: What finally cured my chronic hives

I am doing so much better too. I know it is not a permanent cure but it sure is nice to live normally and not be miserable all the time too. I just have trouble remembering to take the medicine. Hard to think about taking it, and I am suppose to take 4 pills a day and since I am not all hivey all the time it is just not at the top of my list to remember all the time. I think I only took it once today and it is after 10 now. I am not that great at remembering vitamins either but I think I am doing ok anyway. Good luck to ya Navy!!! I have had no side effects either!!

Old 03-08-2004, 05:43 AM   #25
    uz2bface

uz2bface HB User

Hairdoer,

I take 2 at a time so I don't have to take it as often. I can't stress enough the folic acid. If you take any vitamin at all take that. The med actually depletes it from your system and women need more than men as it is. Also, you never answered if you are gettin blood tests? This med is not real easy on your sytem and some docs don't do what the drug requires unless you point it out. Let me know if you had/have your lfts, kfts and cbc's done. It should be monthy for 3 then quarterly for 3 then yearly.

Navy

Old 03-08-2004, 09:46 PM   #26
    HAIRDOER
    (female)

HAIRDOER HB User

yes, I take Folic acid and daily viatmins. And No, I have not gone back for the bloodwork yet. I know I am a bad, bad girl. Or maybe I am just a big chicken!! I hate needles!! I need to make myself find the time to go do that soon. My DOC will probably take twice as much blood from me now. I also am due for a few other things too. Just not my favorite thing to do, ya know! I will make an appt. to go in sometime this month...........Thanks for asking too>

Old 03-09-2004, 05:33 AM   #27
    uz2bface

uz2bface HB User

I hope you do. You don't need other problems on top of the hives just because you failed to get your blood checked. It is very important while taking this med and even though I don't know you I still care what happens to you because I know your suffering. Navy

Old 03-21-2004, 02:33 PM   #28
    adso

adso HB User

Ive been taking antihystamines (product called Telfast) to stop my hives. And it works great, im taking about half a pill every 24hours, when the symptoms start to get out of control.

However im not all that happy about taking these on a permanent basis, so im hoping to find a more permanent solution soon. I believe my issue is Candida, which is different to you guys, but the Hives symptoms sound oh so familiar!

Old 04-04-2004, 07:53 PM   #29
    muellersfarm

muellersfarm HB User

Hi, my name is Mary. My husband Jeff has DPU. He has had it for about 1 year now. I have been reading all kinds of message boards trying to educate ourselves and you guys seem to know your stuff better than others. I have been searching looking for "Navy". Reason being: I thought I read a post where you were trying to get disability for your DPU. I was interested in your journey. My husband is self employeed. We break horses, put up hay, raise cattle, pretty much the whole farm thing. He grew up on a farm. He is you typical big, strong, corn fed farm boy. Strong as an ox. So, you can imagine our community being told that he can't do things like changing a tire or pretty much anything he normally did on a daily basis because he is alergic to himslef and pressure!!! Boy the looks we have gotten! SO a year ago, after burning some brush from some trees we had cut down he started getting welps on his hands. Long story short.......He can't do anything that amounts to much pressure or he breaks out. In the mean time we have lost our small 80 acre ranch. Jeff has been looking for a job but all he knows is farm and ranch work. The folks that are hiring for these jobs are not willing to have him on full time because of his DPU. He has gone into anaplyaxis shock once already. So, does anybody know can the sufferers of DPU and their families get any help? Another question, since being "Blessed" with this DPU, my husband has a VERY HARD TIME BREATHING. If he does anything to get his heart rate up, he can barely breath. Its so bad now that even if we are just joking or horsing around, if he starts laughing, he goes into a choke grabbinb for the Epi-Pen. ANYBODY WHO HAS ANY IDEAS, I WOULD LOVE THE HELP...

GOD BLESS

MARY

Old 04-05-2004, 12:07 AM   #30
    adso

adso HB User

Sorry that I dont have any solutions for you, but im sorry to hear about your husband, can you tell me some more details, like:
    1) Whats does DPU stand for? (pardon my ignorance on that one)
    2) Does he break out in Hives during an 'attack'?
    3) Whats the delay, does it happen immediately or a few hours later?
    4) Does he have a balanced diet, or is it really strong in anything particuar (i.e. breads/yeast, sugar, red-meat etc)?

Closed Thread