It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Allergy Testing Question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-10-2004, 07:22 AM   #1
    Chrislynn

Chrislynn HB User
    Question Allergy Testing Question

How bad is the reaction from the skin testing (i.e., swelling, redness, increased allergy symptoms) and how long does it take for the swelling to go down, etc.? I had testing done years ago but I have forgotten (so I guess it must not have been that bad! )

I get tested on Friday and have somewhere important to go on Saturday night so I did not want to be stuck with a runny nose, sneezing, itchy, etc.

Oh, also do they just test on your back? I think I remember them doing my arms too.

Thanks.

Last edited by Chrislynn; 03-10-2004 at 07:23 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2004, 08:05 AM   #2
    britrose
    (female)

britrose HB User
    Re: Allergy Testing Question

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chrislynn
    How bad is the reaction from the skin testing (i.e., swelling, redness, increased allergy symptoms) and how long does it take for the swelling to go down, etc.? I had testing done years ago but I have forgotten (so I guess it must not have been that bad! )

I get tested on Friday and have somewhere important to go on Saturday night so I did not want to be stuck with a runny nose, sneezing, itchy, etc.

Oh, also do they just test on your back? I think I remember them doing my arms too.

Thanks.
    It depends on how bad your allergies are. I had the scratch test done on my back about 3 wks ago. I am so allergic to dust mites, mold and oak that the welts became one and it took over a wk. till it was back to normal.

Old 03-10-2004, 09:04 AM   #3
    chigs489
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chigs489 HB User

I'm getting allergy shots right now, and I find that for about 24 hours afterwards, I feel pretty lousy. Burning eyes, nasal congestion, etc.

I don't know if this is suppossed to happen or not.

Old 03-10-2004, 09:24 AM   #4
    Katyana
    Veteran
    (female)

Katyana HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chrislynn

Thanks.
    I do have a suggestion prior to getting tested for allergies. Make sure you don't have a condition called "Dermatographism", where blunt touch causes hive-like welts to form in the pattern of the irritation IE: an X. To see if this is something you might have, take the back end of a pen and draw an X shape on the skin. If you get a red welt in the shape of an X, you could have Dermatographism and all allergy testing will do is cause you to have hives and welts from the scratches the doctor makes during the allergy testing and mention this to the doctor before you have the allergy testing done.

Old 03-10-2004, 12:40 PM   #5
    Chrislynn

Chrislynn HB User
    Question Re: Allergy Testing Question

Thanks for the responses. I don't think I have Dermatographism because I do not welt easily.

I am now having second thoughts about the allergy testing as I am feeling quite well lately (for a change) and I'm not sure if I need to go through with this right now.

I was diagnosed with chronic ethmoid sinusitis on the left side but my drip is on the right- I feel nothing wrong on the left. The Zyrtec seemed to be helping me. I don't know what to do at this point. Any advice, opinions??

Old 03-11-2004, 10:42 AM   #6
    Plum
    (female)

Plum HB User

I don't really have any advice but I wanted to share my own experience.

I've been taking prescription allergy meds for 7 or 8 years, with moderate to good relief. Last summer my ENT sent me for allergy testing. I was amazed at the number of things I turned out to be allergic to! The allergist added Singulair to the Rhinocort Aqua and Semprex D I already take and I'm mostly symptom free now, even though I live with a cat and I'm not all that meticulous about house cleaning. The test was on my arm only. The welts were significant but only moderately uncomfortable and were gone within a couple of hours, with no lasting effect. It was worth it to finally know what causes my reactions and to find a combination of meds that works.

Closed Thread