It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Relief for those who suffer from Solar Urticaria/Sun Allergy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-12-2004, 12:55 PM   #1
    vkhtn
    (female)

vkhtn HB User
    Relief for those who suffer from Solar Urticaria/Sun Allergy

I have been allergic to the sun for 12 years. This disorder is called Solar Urticaria. After 8 minutes of sun exposure, I turn completely red where skin is exposed and it itches like crazy. The rash will last a few hours. Sometimes Benadryl (cream) will help the itching. A few years ago I started using Coppertone "Shade" SPF 45 sunblock. It works!!! I can finally be in the sun all day, in my car, take a walk and do normal things outside without trying to hide from the sun. It is wonderful. I have tried almost all sunblocks and none of them would work. A doctor told me about this sunblock. It has an ingredient called Parsol 1789. I think that might be the key ingredient. I may never get rid of this disorder, but at least I have found something that makes it easier to live with. I hope this info will help others.

I have tried to find others that also suffer from this rare disorder. I thought I was the only one. I have also tried to find research studies on this, but with no luck. After finding this site, I realize that there are a lot of people just like me. I don't want to settle with the fact that doctors don't know how to cure it. They have us trying all these different medications that really don't do much to help. I think we need to try to find the underlying problem to be able to cure it. I think we must all have something in common that caused us to develop this disorder. I don't know if it is something we were born with, something we eat, maybe another illness that causes it. I would love to find out. I would really like to start our own research study. I want to work on a very detailed questionare and then do some comparisons to see what we might have in common. If anyone is interested in getting involved with this or has any suggestions, please let me know. Maybe we can come up with the answers that the doctors can't.

FYI- I am a 44 year old female. I grew up in the sun, always going to the beach or pool and then 12 years ago, I became allergic to the sun. I don't understand.

I hope the sunblock helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread