It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• What kind of allergies cause this?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-30-2004, 12:54 PM   #1
    spreeville

spreeville HB User
    Unhappy What kind of allergies cause this?

My doc recently told me that my chronic sinusitis and chronic ear infections/fluid build-up are caused by allergies. These sinus and ear problems are so severe that I cannot function sometimes because I am in constant pain. I have found no relief from anything I've taken. What kind of allergies could be causing such a bad problem?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2004, 02:44 PM   #2
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
    Re: What kind of allergies cause this?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by spreeville
    My doc recently told me that my chronic sinusitis and chronic ear infections/fluid build-up are caused by allergies. These sinus and ear problems are so severe that I cannot function sometimes because I am in constant pain. I have found no relief from anything I've taken. What kind of allergies could be causing such a bad problem?
    Almost anything that touches your skin, that you eat or drink, or that you breath, can cause an allergic reaction, which can cause swelling within the sinuses, which can result in an infection.

I was able to get rid of my sinus infection problems by flooding my sinuses with a diluted mixture of 3% hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and kosher salt.

See: [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=129210[/url] for more information.

I was able to significantly reduce my allergy problems by getting allergy shots, acupuncture treatments, changing my diet and environment, using a corticosteroid nasal spray and by giving myself electro-acupuncture sinus treatments.

It is not easy to reduce one's sinus misery. It takes a lot of work and understanding.

Old 04-04-2004, 08:19 AM   #3
    acbuchan

acbuchan HB User

A suggestion - possibly milk? Just an idea, but it can cause very bad problems in many people, particulary with the throat/nose/ears areas, due to something to do with the mucus problems it can cause with intollerant/allergic people.
    Cindy
    Joshua (5) - autism, anaphylaxis, asthma, excema, mutiple severe allergies, tachycardia/palpitations. Kayne (3)- Aspergers, epilepsy, cyclic vomiting syndrome, autonomic disfunction. Corbyn (22mnths)- ataxia, hypotonia, tremor, blepharospasms, tic disorder, clonic movements, chewing/gagging issues.

Old 04-04-2004, 08:22 AM   #4
    chigs489
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chigs489 HB User

Beerzoids,

what kind of dietary and environmental changes did you make?

did you have sinus surgery?

Old 04-04-2004, 09:52 AM   #5
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chiggins1066
    Beerzoids,

what kind of dietary and environmental changes did you make?

did you have sinus surgery?
    I had surgery to correct a deviated septum, and treat an infected cyst, around 25 years ago. I wish that I had known about flooding the sinuses with peroxide back then. I would not have had the surgery. The surgery did little to improve my sinus problems, and the scarring actually made my problems worse.

On the dietary side: I stay away from vegetable gums, lunch meats, pizza meats except pepperoni, cheddar cheese, most sauces and gravies unless home made. I am allergic to dairy, but I include it in my diet because I feel that the benefits outweigh the risks.

I eat very few packaged foods. Most of my meals are home made, with very few preservatives, if any. Most packages or pre-prepared foods have zillions of ingrediants. For someone with lots of allergies, like myself, the odds of being allergic to at least one of the large number of different ingrediants in a packaged food, is high.

I stay away from beer and wine. At least, I did. I removed some wall cabinets and some storage cabinets that had a strong odor, and stopped using fabric softener and detergents, and stopped using mouthwash.

For the first time in over a year, I drank some wine yesterday. In fact I drank the entire bottle. Kind of stupid, because wine always stuffs me up for two or three days. I woke up this morning without any stuffiness whatsoever. A coincidence? Perhaps the pollen and pollution levels are low?

This is also the first time that I drank a bottle of wine since I shaved the top of my head and gave myself electro-acupuncture treatment. Confusing!?

Environmental changes: I tore up ALL of the wall to wall carpetting and had vinyl put down. This made the biggest improvement in my Asthma. It didn't help my sinus problems, but it sure helped reduce my wheezing. Then I got rid of my upholstered furniture, and replaced it with vinyl LazyBoy recliners. The vinyl recliners were the best idea ever, because when I am having increased problems, I sleep on the recliners.

I've put up seven large air filtration system, with two in the bedroom and two in my computer room. I ran all seven all night last night, on low. I wonder if that helped?

I keep ALL windows closed, except once every two days, when the pollen/pollution levels are low, I air out my place for about 20 minutes, to get rid of the build up of inside gases.

My wife keeps our place as dust free as possible. Our bedding gets washed twice a week. I don't allow my dog on my side of the bed. I wash my hands every time immediately after touching my dog.

I avoid clothing with blue dyes, and I don't wear a shirt unless I have to. I am allergic to many different dyes, and am slightly sensitive to all clothing materials.

I read the newspaper or books or the mail with gloves on.

I am sure that I have forgotten some things.

Sounds like a lot, but it gets normal for me. I haven't even listed what I do to keep my heart disease under control. My heart disease is linked, somewhat, to my allergies, so there is an overlap.

Regards, have a nice Sunday!

Old 04-04-2004, 04:43 PM   #6
    Blondee15
    Veteran

Blondee15 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by spreeville
    Your in the same boat I am.
    It's called Eustachian Tube Dysfunction(it's a form of Reactive Airway Disease, in it's own way) & it means your eustachian tube(the tube that connects your ears, nose & throat, it allows all 3 parts to drain) swells up at the exposure to allergens. I was recently tested & found allergic to several environmental things. Basically you breathe in the allergen, it goes up into your nose, through your sinuses & keeps swelling all the way up(& down) the ET. So far nasal steroid sprays & antihistamines have given me some relief, enough to get through the days. Colds & other sicknesses are a nightmare. Throat infections have been life threatening b/c my throat is already so swollen on a normal basis & prone 2 swelling up shut. When you have fluid in your ears/sinusitus, that means the ET has been swollen shut for so long the fluid can't drain. Therefore it just sits in your ears or sinuses & swells even mroe & bacteria thrives off of the closed off space.
    You can have ear tubes put in to act as another ET or try a prednisone burst to see if that can bring the inflammation down. Don't worry there's plenty of others out there with your problem..I would see an ENT or an allergist if possible, preferably an allergist first to find out what you are allergic to, then an ENT to assess the structural problems. Good luck.

Closed Thread