It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Partial facial swelling.. heard of it?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-09-2004, 07:50 AM   #1
    dolysods
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dolysods HB User
    Partial facial swelling.. heard of it?

Since December i've had bouts of my left face swelling.. no other symptoms.. no extra sinus, no pain, some times tingling. It is around my eye and cheek. The first time i called the allergist (had just seen him) and i got a cortisone shot. That cleared it up within an hour. I was also put on singulair but had a reaction to it. I didnt' have any recurrence until about a month later. I called my family doc, he had no explanation, but said to stop the singulair .. i knew this wasn't the problem so i kept taking it and had the reaction. I seem to get this about every other month and it can last 3-7 days. I think the only symptom i may have is fatique. The allergist with the most recent episode wanted to put me on doxepin 10 mg. I knew from working in a pharmacy that this was primarily used for depression/anxiety. I got the rx but haven't really taken any of it. I don't want to be on an anti-depressant 3x a day for something that is happening sporadically.

any ideas? I've thought of finding an ent to do a catscan of my sinuses. I do have a history of migraines, sinusitus, rhinitus. The migraines seem to be under control with exception to eating something i'm allergic to.

Both doctors think since it reacted so quickly to steroid shot it is allergies.. but what? I can't find any food that i've eaten all times, no change in laundry soap, nothing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2004, 04:19 PM   #2
    reader1
    Veteran

reader1 HB User
    Re: Partial facial swelling.. heard of it?

I've had severe allergies all my life. The facial swelling you describe is something that has happened to me often, always the result of allergy. Do you take flonase or any inhaled nasal steroid? That helps some; also, rinsing your sinuses with saline rinse. You may have some mucus in there and it is just not moving due to the swelling, but you can have swelling without any congestion. I agree that it is probably allergy. SInce you haven't noticed any other symptoms and can't track the exposure, it is probably an inhaled allergen - mold/mildew, dust, or pollens. An ENT is a good idea, although if you go when you are asymptomatic, they won't be able to tell you anything.

Good luck.

Old 04-13-2004, 01:14 PM   #3
    dolysods
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dolysods HB User
    Re: Partial facial swelling.. heard of it?

I use rhinocort & zyrtec 10mg daily. I also have entex pse that i take when i'm extra plugged. At first i thought that the rhinocort was clearing it up. Not so the next time. It has been rainy 2 of the times.

Glad someone has at least heard of it.

Closed Thread