It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Augmentin works!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-13-2004, 01:14 AM   #1
    david23m
    Inactive

david23m HB User
    Augmentin works!

I just started taking augmentin and it is woeking grat after 3 days. Almost all of my symptoms are going away. The only thing i hate about it is the stomach upset. Anyone have similar expierences?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2004, 09:06 AM   #2
    Halls
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Halls HB User
    Re: Augmentin works!

I've taken it before and it is a good drug. Unfortunately it didn't work last time for my sinus's, but it does work for other things. Good luck and glad it works!

Halls

Old 04-13-2004, 01:17 PM   #3
    dolysods
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dolysods HB User

i couldn't take it because of the stomach upset/diarrhea. The last couple of years my "cast iron gut" has turned to mush. I can't even take advil anymore

The only thing you can try is the amount of food or milk you take it with. It is a very good antibiotic but you need ot finish the whole rx

tracey

Old 04-13-2004, 05:44 PM   #4
    david23m
    Inactive

david23m HB User

I am having alot of gi troubles with it and my dr wants me to go off of it I wish i could find something that works. Hey i was wondering if i made a sinus bulletin board just devoted to sinus problems would anyone go there? The reason for my decsion on making one is that there are almost no boards just devoted to sinus issues.

I was wondering how do i get rid of my bad breath. It is insanely gross. Now that im going to be off of the antibiotic my breath will get very bad again. Does anyone have any secrets they can share with me?

Old 05-24-2004, 11:05 AM   #5
    chigs489
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chigs489 HB User

I just started taking Augmentin a few days ago. So far, it seems to be working pretty well. I have less yellow discharge from the nose (almost none actually), and I'm breathing better. It is causing me some GI issues, however, such as loose stool, but nothing major.

I'm on 875MG 2 times a day for 20 days. Does this seem like an excessive dosage?

Old 05-28-2004, 10:31 AM   #6
    susieq0726
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User

I too suffer from chronic sinus troubles and took Augmentin for 14 days - 875 mg twice a day. I still have a touch of the infection so my doc has put me on Avelox for 7 more days just to be sure.

Old 05-28-2004, 01:40 PM   #7
    GettingWellAgain
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

Hi,
    I hope you find something else that works for you. What do you have, a sinus infection? The only advice that I have for you is to DEFINITELY start taking probiotics like acidophilus while taking antibiotics. Antibiotics DESTROY the good bacteria in your intestines, and acidophilus will help A LOT with diarrhea, stomach upset, and taking acidophilus will also help your bad breath! They cannot do any harm, so you have nothing to lose. By taking repeated courses of antibiotics or NSAID's, you risk developing Candidiasis, which is basicallly a nasty yeast infection of your body that can morph into something more serious. Try to buy acidophilus in the refrigerated section of a health food store and I wish you the best of luck finding an antibiotic that doesn't upset your stomach too much!
    ~Katalina

Old 06-09-2004, 05:55 PM   #8
    balsaaq
    (male)

balsaaq HB User

I just got prescribed keflex, I had an allergic reaction to augmentin(hives) I felt it was a stronger and better pill but the stomach issues and allergic reaction were a bit too much.....

Old 06-10-2004, 01:42 AM   #9
    david23m
    Inactive

david23m HB User

I got a new prescription for biaxin i havent filled yet. Its very extremly wierd i went to the ent the other day and he insisted i wasnt suffering from sinusitis. Im like why in the world do my sinuses stink and have a foul green/yellow discharge that makes my breath and nose smell really bad. He didnt have an answere. Hes all according to your ct scans everything is wide open and there is no sign of infection. I have bad teeth so i went to my dentist thinking it was a dental issue. It was confirmed i had some decay issues but no sign of infection to the teeth based on x-rays. Im very troubled and confused can anyone give me some suggestions.

Last edited by david23m; 06-10-2004 at 01:45 AM.

Old 06-10-2004, 02:08 AM   #10
    Mabulok
    (female)

Mabulok HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by david23m
    I am having alot of gi troubles with it and my dr wants me to go off of it I wish i could find something that works. Hey i was wondering if i made a sinus bulletin board just devoted to sinus problems would anyone go there? The reason for my decsion on making one is that there are almost no boards just devoted to sinus issues.

I was wondering how do i get rid of my bad breath. It is insanely gross. Now that im going to be off of the antibiotic my breath will get very bad again. Does anyone have any secrets they can share with me?
    What do your tonsils look like? Mine were quite large and not one physician noticed. I finally went to an ENT after doing my own research. My research unveiled two things about bad breath...one: it's almost always sourced in the mouth, and two: it's curable once the source is found. It's rarely caused by the stomach by the very nature of how the muscles in your esophogus keep the stomach's contents from expelling through your mouth. That only leaves the tonsils, and the teeth. So, if you still haven't found the source of your bad breath, suggest you see a dental hygienist, and/or an ENT. Mine turned out to be my tonsils. Tonsils removed, bad breath gone. But I do believe the underlying cause of my tonsilitis was due to sinus drainage. My sinuses drained constantly, right maxillary was filled with fluid. Anyway, bottom line is I had sinus surgery and tonsillectomy at the same time, and have never felt better. Maybe something for you to explore.

Old 06-11-2004, 01:49 PM   #11
    david23m
    Inactive

david23m HB User

I still have my tonsils but i have no problems with them. I know for sure the source is from my sinuses. When i snort the mucos into my mouth it taste horrid and nasty. My ent swears its not an infection but i beg to differ i mean my ct exam was normal but i still have the symptoms and i don't have allergies. Im starting to have aching in and arround my eyes with some mild burning in the right eye.

Old 06-13-2004, 11:02 PM   #12
    Ulmo

Ulmo HB User

For the bad breath, have you tried "Magic Mouthwash"? It's a mixture most pharmacies make often on doctor's orders.

dolysods...are you aware that enteric ibuprofren is now available (under the name Nuprin)? Your digestive tract may be able to tolerate it better than regular Advil/Motrin.

Quote:
    I'm on 875MG 2 times a day for 20 days. Does this seem like an excessive dosage?
    Children often take much lower doses, but that is the recommended dose for adults...875 mg every twelve hours (you may be used to taking regular amoxicillin, typically just 500 mg). The newer Augmentin XR (up to 1000 amox./62.5 clavulanate) is taken two tablets every twelve hours, usually for ten days. Your doctor probably has you on it for twenty days to make sure you're rid of the infection. Not at all unusual.

Last edited by Ulmo; 06-13-2004 at 11:19 PM.

Closed Thread