It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• turbinate reduction procedure

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-28-2004, 09:11 PM   #1
    MrsLee
    Veteran
    (female)

MrsLee HB User
    turbinate reduction procedure

I am hoping someone may know about this, or has had this procedure done. I have already had a deviated septum correction surgery, which did not help anything. My nose is stuffy all the time, and I am tired of drugging myself up on decongestants and antihistamines to get through the day.

I have a condition called vasomotor rhinitis, which basically means my nose gets stuffy all the time for just about any reason. I have tried nasal irrigation with little success. I am at my wits end. Apparently it is my turbinates which as swelling up and causing all these problems.

The doctor said we could try the turbinate reduction as a last resort. They basically burn away part of your turbinates, so they cannot swell and block your nasal passage (because they are smaller). This does not sound especially pleasant, but if it really will work, I want to do it. So I am wondering, has anyone had this procedure, or know someone who has? ANY info would be much appreciated. Thanks very much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2004, 10:04 AM   #2
    neechole

neechole HB User
    Re: turbinate reduction procedure

hi mrs lee,
    u replied to my post and now i am replying to yours! thanks again ...anyways, i think i have what u have...i am always stuffed up lately with post nasal drip..do u have the drip too? i use the irrigator and it helps a bit but i have to use it alot...maybe we can figure out our problem together!

Old 06-30-2004, 01:43 PM   #3
    MrsLee
    Veteran
    (female)

MrsLee HB User

Yes! I do have post nasal drip. I have always had it, since I was a small child. I constantly clear my throat. But I guess it doesn't bother me too much (only other people I am guessing). I am most irritated with the constant stuffiness.

Another thing the ENT wants me to do is try modifying my diet as it could be a food sensitivity or allergy causing these problems. This means completely cutting a certain thing out of your diet for two weeks and seeing what happens. I simply haven't had the time to try this, as it would take a lot of planning. I do want to try cutting out all dairy though. I am lactose intolerant anyways, so I need to, and dairy does increase mucus production. The only problem is I am a cheese addict...

So basically, I am supposed to try this first before getting the turbinate procedure done. Part of me just wants to have it done, but I need to talk to someone else who has had it done already before I will feel at ease about it.

As a side note, I don't know if you have tried this, but I just bought some of those Breathe Right strips you put on your nose. They actually work really well. But I don't want to have to take drugs and glue things to my face to be able to breathe. Oh well, I better get back to work. Take care!

Old 07-01-2004, 09:14 AM   #4
    neechole

neechole HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MrsLee
    Yes! I do have post nasal drip. I have always had it, since I was a small child. I constantly clear my throat. But I guess it doesn't bother me too much (only other people I am guessing). I am most irritated with the constant stuffiness.

Another thing the ENT wants me to do is try modifying my diet as it could be a food sensitivity or allergy causing these problems. This means completely cutting a certain thing out of your diet for two weeks and seeing what happens. I simply haven't had the time to try this, as it would take a lot of planning. I do want to try cutting out all dairy though. I am lactose intolerant anyways, so I need to, and dairy does increase mucus production. The only problem is I am a cheese addict...

So basically, I am supposed to try this first before getting the turbinate procedure done. Part of me just wants to have it done, but I need to talk to someone else who has had it done already before I will feel at ease about it.

As a side note, I don't know if you have tried this, but I just bought some of those Breathe Right strips you put on your nose. They actually work really well. But I don't want to have to take drugs and glue things to my face to be able to breathe. Oh well, I better get back to work. Take care!

Hi again...
    i a bit lactose intolerant too so cutting out dairy would be great and it does help my nasal drip when i dont eat it as much BUT like yourself i am in love with cheese (pizza) haha....my nasal irrigator is my best bet for now...anyways, seems like we have the same issue...i am waiting for my insurance to clear and then i am heading to an ENT....i will let u know what they tell me...it would be great if we could help eachother out...my problem started in feb but last june i had a nose job...do u think this might have started the problem?

Old 07-01-2004, 09:44 PM   #5
    MrsLee
    Veteran
    (female)

MrsLee HB User

I'm sure there's a possibility the nose job could have affected it, but since the time frames are different I am not sure. I am unsure whether my problems really started before my septum correction or not. Before the surgery, I was stuffy because my nasal passages were blocked by my deviated septum. I got this sinus infection for several months before having the surgery (my sinuses were fine according to the ct scan and x-rays, though, so I guess it was a phantom sinus infection or something). After the surgery that stuff went away, but then I was left with the chronically stuffy nose. So I am thinking maybe my surgery affected it, but I really have no idea. SOme of the symptoms, I have always had, but some did not seem to start til after the surgery.

A side note about the nasal irrigation--I have tried this so many times, but I cannot get the water to go up into my nose (perhaps the turbinates are blocking it?). Even if I shoot the solution up there really fast, it squirts out my eyes instead of my other nostril. Weird huh? So I just use a saline mist, and that helps a little.

Also, I am starting a new diet on tuesday, and as part of it I am sure I will be drastically reducing my cheese intake. So we'll have to see what happens!

Take care!

Old 07-02-2004, 12:59 AM   #6
    Izzybella
    Inactive
    (female)

Izzybella HB User

Last edited by Izzybella; 08-01-2007 at 10:19 PM.

Old 07-02-2004, 07:41 PM   #7
    MrsLee
    Veteran
    (female)

MrsLee HB User

Thanks for your reply. That is definitely encouraging. Just how bad was the recovery? The ENT told me the procedure is done in his office with not kind of sedation. He made it sound like it wasn't too bad, but I certainly question that. WEll thanks again, I am happy it worked for you and you can breathe--take care!

Old 07-04-2004, 10:17 AM   #8
    Izzybella
    Inactive
    (female)

Izzybella HB User

Last edited by Izzybella; 08-01-2007 at 10:20 PM.

Old 07-05-2004, 01:15 PM   #9
    CheerAngel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CheerAngel HB User

Hi... I too have chronic nose blocks and the mucus thingy that haven't been successful with medications. Tried lots of meds in different combinations and strength but the rhinitis and mucus is still as bad. At first there weren't this mucus thingy problem but after 2 months or so after I was dx with allergic rhinitis it started. Then now I'm dx as vasomotor rhinitis instead... my ent has been mentioning to me abt surgery since the last few appts and it seems like that might be wat they are doing next. Hope to hear more from yall.

Old 07-24-2004, 10:51 AM   #10
    josesordo
    (male)

josesordo HB User

Hi, I also suffer from nasal congestion that won't go away with anything. Including anthistamines, salines sprays, among other medications. I can't breathe through the nose properly. Everything started like 1 year ago. In the mornings I would wake up congested from my sinuses but it would go away in minutes after getting up. I also would wake up with a weird flavor in my mouth but it would also go away after getting up. As the months went by, the congestion worsened and it would not only affect me in the morning but throughout the day too. Now it's so bad, that the nasal congestion and that metallic-like flavor lasts at all hours every single day. I went to several doctors and they said at first without running any tests on my that I had allergies. Then finally one of them had the "brilliant" idea of running x-rays and an allergy test on me. The allergy test came out to be negative so I am not allergic to anything. The x-rays showed that have a deviated septum and hyperthrophy of the turbinates so that's the cause of my misery. So guys, Should I get the septoplasty and turbinoplasty done? How effective are they? How expensive are they? How painful are they? Will they actually cure me once and for all? How come these problems were never present before hand since I broke my nose when I was 5 years old (now I am 21)? Why now?
    I also would like to ask you that if these problems have caused you any trouble with your breath, cause I have bad breath too. Of couse I wash my mouth, use listherine and do it 3 times a day? Is it another symptom of my problem? please heeeeeeelp!!!

Old 07-25-2004, 11:03 AM   #11
    CheerAngel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CheerAngel HB User

Hey there , I can relate to how badly you must be feeling everyday! Btw, you said you had allergy test, what kind is it? Skin p-r-i-c-k or blood test? I am still trying to rule out being truely allergic but the medical officer doesn't seem to be helping or watever... . My CT scan shows the almost same results as your X-ray. Did your ent/doctor talked to you about surgery yet? Did he/she ask you to go for it? After 3 times of being mentioned to, on my appts, to consider surgery; I'm finally scheduled for one. So at the moment, I can't tell how painful or effective. But they told me that it is a painful procedure! There won't be any stitches to the turbinates and the wound is gonna be 'raw'. The surgery could cost more than thousand plus but it really depends how it is done, where it is done and who's doing it. My surgery is only a turbinectomy though they didn't say about needing to correct my deviated septum.

You can look in the internet and understand more about the procedures. I read that if you get your septum corrected, there might be a side-effect/complication that there would be a hole in between. I'm not sure if the turbinoplasty that you mentioned is the same as turbinectomy. Patients that goes thru turbinectomy usually can breathe much better! I can't tell why all this problems arise now and not before.

Have your doctor told you why you are suffering from nasal congestion? When I was young, I got hit by a plastic water gun at my nose. But I don't know if there's a connection, since congestion is caused by the swollen turbinates. As for bad breath, could it be due to an infection? Try drinking more water everday, I think it will help with clearing the bad breath a bit.

Old 07-26-2004, 03:29 PM   #12
    josesordo
    (male)

josesordo HB User

Thanks cheerangel, I'll follow your advise. As I mentioned in my last post when I was like 5 I broke my nose and since then my septum has been deviated. One of the nostrils is bigger than the other one. However, I did not have any problems until a year ago when I started experiencing nasal congestion in the mornings when waking up and now became a chronic problem. My doctor recommended the septoplasty after months of decongestans, anthistaminics, sprays, etc... Actually when he ran the x-rays tests my doctor actually realized that my problem was not a disease but my deviated septum and my engarled turbinates were causing the problem. As far as turbinoplasty and turbinonectomy, I am not sure if they are the same. I also had a blood test to determine whether I was allergic to something or not. As mentioned, it came out negative. I have been drinking plenty of water for the past days and the bad breath has gone away, thank you. I'll have an appointment on wednesday to determine the date of the operation.

Old 07-27-2004, 05:43 AM   #13
    lhacker
    (male)

lhacker HB User

You say your problem began with the stuffyness when you woke up in the morning ...

Chemical sensativities, those allergy like symptoms because your immune system has been overloaded. What kind of detergent are you using when washing bed linenes. Are you using any kind of fabric softener? SNUGGLES and some of the other fabric softener sheets you put in the dryer can cause severe reactions and the longer you are exposed, the worse it gets. Once your immune system starts reacting to one antagonist it will begin reacting to other similar chemicals ... someVolatile Organic Chemicals don't even have an odor. If you get rid of the primary antagonist you should begin feeling better within hours/ or a couple of days at most. My Problem began with an overdose of potpourri, then other VOCs, I had to sleep in my van or on the patio until we got the SNUGGLES out of the bedsheets. Still cannot have a daily newspaper in the house. But I feel we are better off without much of this offending chemical crap.

Larry Hacker

Old 07-27-2004, 10:16 AM   #14
    sunshine123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User

I had the turbinate reducing surgery probably 4 yrs. ago. The ENT told me that I would be able to breathe easier and have less mucous production afterwards. Well, I still have trouble breathing and my allergies are bad. It was a complete waste of time and money. It was an awful procedure too b/c there was a lot of blood going down my throat and I thought he'd never be done.

Old 07-27-2004, 11:22 AM   #15
    CheerAngel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CheerAngel HB User

josesordo, good to hear that drinking lots of water did help with the breathe. Erm... did your ent mentioned to you whether you have what kind of rhinitis since your turbinates are enlarged? I'm guessing that the enlarged turbinates are the main problem that's causing your congestion instead of the deviated septum though the DS could have caused congestion too. Let me know how's everything after your appt!

sunshine123, I'm sorry to hear that your turbinectomy didn't went well. That's what worries me, anyway, there are people that have success stories too. sunshine123, dun mind if I ask you what's causing your breathing difficulties and what kind of allergies do you have? Are your turbinates swollen again??? What's your ent doing to help ya?

The ent had told me about the risk of bleeding since there are no stitches. They also said that the surgery won't help with the mucus thingy but only for the swollen turbinates.

Good luck to us nose sufferers!!!

Closed Thread