It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Soymilk Allergies Anyone?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-07-2004, 05:32 PM   #1
    artchyld

artchyld HB User
    Question Soymilk Allergies Anyone?

Anyone have any negative symptoms from drinking soymilk? I have some muscle or ligament problems, no one knows for sure. All I know is that at times my problem seems to amplify and it always seems to be the times that I have drunk more soymilk than usual. Anyone know how long it stays in your system if I were to get off of it completely. If you are having different symptoms, describe those too, please.

Artchyld

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2004, 08:09 PM   #2
    GettingWellAgain
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GettingWellAgain HB User
    Re: Soymilk Allergies Anyone?

I am allergic to soymilk, also. I actually had my worst reaction from soy ice cream. My throat was swollen (I could still breathe okay though), I became very asthmatic, my stomach starting reacting with major acid reflux and stomach spasms, I was dizzy, lightheaded, and very tired. It went into the next day a little and I could feel it a little bit for a few days later, but that was about it.

Old 07-10-2004, 09:51 AM   #3
    annaech

annaech HB User

I had posted back on June 13, 2004, about my daughter and her increase from mild now to confirmed severe allergies to soy. Back then we were still getting used to removing soy completely from her diet. I've read that it has rarely caused reactions that may lead to death so I'm not so paranoid as we might allow her to eat something that has soy oil, lets say. But on those days that we don't obsess about it we've learned to notice if it will be followed by some stomach ache or extra trips to the bathroom and she'll have acne flareups. It's interesting to see on the last post here that that person's symptoms lasted into the few days ahead. When my daughter was getting severely sick back in May due to the increase in soy content in school lunches this year, the symptoms were hard to distinguish from gastric problems. So that's where we had started with a referral to a gastroenterologist. It was by instinct that I thought of and then faught my HMO into approving allergy tests. A blood test and scratch test revealed both peanuts and soy to be severe. They say allergies to food happen within the first two hours of having consumed them, and that threw us off in the beginning because it never seemed that she was reacting that soon to any food, the severe symptoms could never be linked right away to anyone thing that she ate and they would go on for days, vomiting, diarrhea, and one sided headaches but never any fever. She would say that she felt disoriented and in school they were sending her to the guidance counselor who would try to pry any information that would point to child abuse. It was a nighmare. It was hard to get support in getting to the bottom of it. But now that we know for sure what it is we do remember that there were other less noticeable symptoms happening before and throughout the episodes like a few tiny pimply bumps between her fingers and the acne flareups which at first we thought it was just puberty hormones.

Like I had mentioned in my previous post she has improved dramatically and we're now shopping for soyless food and most is very expensive and hard to find. And the doctors and the nutritionists just armed us with an epi pen and said we're on our own, just read labels and ask restaurants for a list of ingredients when eating out.

Old 07-10-2004, 10:48 AM   #4
    joquiero
    Inactive

joquiero HB User

You can always test yourself for allergics and get an immediate result.

Make sure you're pulse rate is its usual, then eat the offending food and after 10 minutes, take your pulse. If your pulse rate has increase by more than 10 beats per minute, you have some sort of allergy/sensitivity to the food.

BTW: I drink soymilk, eat tofu and soybeans and use soy sauce all the time and have never had any adverse reaction.

Last edited by joquiero; 07-10-2004 at 10:51 AM.

Old 07-10-2004, 10:54 AM   #5
    Sarandipity
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sarandipity HB User
    Lightbulb Re: Soymilk Allergies Anyone?

Hopefully this will help...
    I am allergic to soy... only way I know that is because I was tested. I have severe allergies and take allergy shots once a week. My two daughters 7 and 2, are allergic to all dairy products. So they drink Soy milk, and I drink rice milk. You can find it almost anywhere, the taste isen't so great but you get used to it and it's better than eatting dry cereal!

I don't know how old your child is- but the best thing is to get him/ her allergy tested. If you have regular insurance they will pay for it. There are two sets of shots, about 30- 40 on your back the first time, then depending on the results- around 30 the next time. They also give you different types of allergens in your arm. It's not as painful as it sounds... they are on a plate and about 15 are done on each plate w/ about 5 plates on your back. It just looks scary to a child.

Some people only have food allergies, some have grass, dust, mold, etc. and some both. Me and my two kids are the lucky ones who have both. My Kids were sick all the time until we started on the allergy shots, then BAM- in the past 6 months my two yr old has been sick once and my 7 none!

Try Rice milk and rice based foods ei.... yogart, rice cakes. If you shop around they are reasonably priced. Good luck! Let me know what happens!

Old 07-10-2004, 06:59 PM   #6
    artchyld

artchyld HB User

I know that when I was a baby, I was on soymilk because I was allergic to regular milk. But after a while, my mother noticed that I seemed nervous and "antsy", so she took me off the soy too. After reading about soy allergens on the internet I found a site that said that one reaction could be inflammation of nerve tissue. So that led me to believe that maybe that was a contributing factor to my neck problem, an inflammation around the cervical disk that made my neck pop. I was informed that I have bone spurs but they never gave me a problem until the last few months. I also realized that within those same few months, I had increased my intake of soymilk. Don't know if there is a connection,except that after I got off the soy, the inflammation in neck subsided some and so did the stiffness.

Old 07-14-2004, 10:44 PM   #7
    annaech

annaech HB User
    Question Re: Soymilk Allergies Anyone? sarandipity

Sarandipity....

She's 12. Had the tests on the arms.....pricks then they put a minute amount of the offending allergen and if it puffs up alot they score it a 4+. It happened for both soy and peanuts.

Thanks about the rice milk, rice product advice. She used to be allergic to that too scored like a 1 or 2 before when she was 5 yrs old but now zero. She has other allergies just like your children to other foods and plants and animals.

We have discovered a lot of places to shop now. But I get the feeling that she's allergic to something else more(food) not on the test. She was throwing up at school today and had little bumps on her fingers. Hard to trace what it was.

But about those allergy shots....do you have to ask your doctor for them or is there a reason why some doctors dont bring up the subject to some people like for example us. Do they have side effects?

Old 07-14-2004, 11:05 PM   #8
    annaech

annaech HB User
    Re: Soymilk Allergies Anyone? artchyld

Artchyld..

Yes, I've read those scary soy hate web sites too. It makes me wonder about the countries where they eat a lot of soy in. But I get the feeling that there is a difference in soy foods like tofu and soy beans and sauce compared to the way that it is used as a filler in processed foods. It adds up to great numbers the more convenience foods you eat....anything packaged. I know home cooking is the way to go in my case...I mean real home cooking, no aunt jemima or betty crocker, no bottled salad dressings or pillsbury cookies in the oven, no bottled spaghetti sauce.....everything must be from scratch....I guess what they call it is whole foods. I found a supermarket called Whole Foods. Most everything there is like 3x more money, but if what you want is soyless bread with an ingredients label of less than 6 things, all of which you can pronounce and recognize as being a real food, then you can find it there. Reading labels is what helped me see that we are bombarded by megadoses of soy....it's in everything, especially as a cheap filler in a lot of foods that are packaged, even tunafish cans list soy as an ingredient. Things like MSG and hydrolyzed vegetable protein is soy in disguise. I guess I can count my blessings that like the peanut allergy (life threatening) my daughter is severely allergic to soy but only violent vomiting for days it's as bad as she gets from it.....which is bad enough.

Thanks for responding but yep, if I were you I'd stay away from soy too, I think your suspicions were on target in your experience.

Old 09-03-2004, 06:49 PM   #9
    Fitzgirl

Fitzgirl HB User

When I quit caffeine and diet sodas containing aspartame ((the worst stuff EVER))... I turned to silk soy milk... I thought my dizzy spells and anxiety attacks were from caffeine withdrawal, but after a while I thought I might be allergic to soy, so I gave that up as well... ((all these things!!!)) so when the dizziness finally subsided, I thought I was over my caffeine addiction, since my natural energy came back... I was still off the soy, and after a month, I decided to give it a test drive again... sure enough, I woke up with an anxiety attack. I dismissed it as something that was bothering me at the time, (despite a small itchy hive on my cheek)) but today I was walking around in a dizzy spell. It got worse after my Starbucks soy decaf americano... I chucked it right there and then.

A good alternative is this stuff called Pacific Almond vanilla... it comes in a few flavors including oat and valnilla flavor also... but it's soy and dairy free, maybe a little diluted, but tastes just as good. Check your health food store or even the grocery store. Should be on the same shelf as Rice Dream and the Soy stuff.

Old 09-04-2004, 12:18 PM   #10
    artchyld

artchyld HB User

You know, I have tried the almond milk and I do like it. My problem is that I have to go thirty miles to get it or pay a large shipping fee to have it delivered to my house. I live in a small town that deemed itself progressive when the local (and only) grocery in town started carrying Silk. But you are right, I never thought to connect dizzy spells with the soy. I have had a few of those too. Next time I'm on the road, I'll get some more. Thanks.

Artchyld

Closed Thread