It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• removing allergens from clothes?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-27-2004, 06:49 AM   #1
    triptakers

triptakers HB User
    removing allergens from clothes?

I have just gotten some fabulous hand-me-over clothes from my SIL (I try hard not to buy new anything - environmental reasons). They fit beautifully, and they're stuff like Ann Taylor and Earl Jeans!
    Problem? They came from a cat-full house (and from being in the house for just a second, I'm thinking they weren't totally loving the litter box, if you KWIM.)

So anyway, I tried washing as usual and then running thru the dryer (thinking that might take out some of the allergens). I tried baking soda and a vinegar rinse. I tried letting them dry outside in the breeze. I even used the advice of the girls at the allergies board and FROZE some garments, lol. I'm at a loss - the smell is gone, but I just had to take off a pair of twice-washed jeans because I was sneezing & my eyes started itching & running.

And then of course we've got the silk and rayon dry clean onlys. Sigh. Dryel, no luck. Dry cleaning, no luck. Handwashing and line drying several times didn't do it.

I know I could just pass the stuff on to a consignment store or Goodwill, but now I'm at the warped "I'M GOING TO WIN THIS BATTLE" stage... but... I don't think I can win...

Is there any sort of washing stuff that's aimed specifically at removing pet allergens? Or do you guys know any "secrets"?

Thanks so much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2004, 11:46 AM   #2
    craftlady
    Veteran
    (female)

craftlady HB User
    Re: removing allergens from clothes?

Other than hanging the cloths somewhere for 6 months the only thing that I have found is a product called Nature Miracles for Cats. Cloths can be washed with it, with the exception of gentle farbric, those you will have to wait the 6 months for the allergen to naturaly go away.

Old 07-27-2004, 01:39 PM   #3
    triptakers

triptakers HB User

Thank you! Is this Nature's Miracle stuff easy to find?

Old 07-27-2004, 06:51 PM   #4
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by triptakers
    I have just gotten some fabulous hand-me-over clothes from my SIL (I try hard not to buy new anything - environmental reasons).
    I've avoid new clothes also, but for a different reason. When I put on new clothes, my heart beats erratically and I start wheezing. I've tried satin, cotton, polyester, silk and organic cotton. Nothing works.

I've aged clothes for many years, and tried many different "recommended" things. Nothing works.

Currently I'm trying something for which I am seeing some positive results, but I need to test it more. I've had trouble sleeping in bed at night without my heart going nuts and my asthma acting up. I've started sleeping with a dust mask, and it is working very well! No more heart misfiring, and no more asthma at night!

I can relate to your problems with the clothes that you got from a "cat filled" house. It seems that once material gets exposed to certain chemicals or allergens, there is no way to get the tiny traces of those irritants off the material. That's just my guess. This doesn't seem to be true with all irritants, only with certain chemicals or allergens.

Regards, and best of luck!

Old 07-28-2004, 05:02 AM   #5
    craftlady
    Veteran
    (female)

craftlady HB User

Natures Miracle can be found at any big pet store or on line. Its kinda spendy but it really works. I paid $24.00 for a gallon, they do sell it in smaller quanitys, if your just going to use it on cloths you shouldnt need that much.

Old 07-28-2004, 05:34 AM   #6
    triptakers

triptakers HB User

Hey beerzoids - you may want to have a look at clothing & textiles with the oko-tex standard certification - it may be just what you need. There's a website for them, but I don't think we're allowed to post urls, are we? A google search for oko-tex or oeko tek should find info for you, and there's a list (by country) of which manufacturers meet this standard. More common in Europe, and for some reason I'm thinking you're European?? so maybe you'll be in luck?

Good luck, hope this helped.

Old 07-28-2004, 06:38 AM   #7
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by triptakers
    Hey beerzoids - you may want to have a look at clothing & textiles with the oko-tex standard certification - it may be just what you need.

Good luck, hope this helped.
    Thanks for the info. I'll read what they have to say.

I had a sinus infection that lasted for about a year until I finally got rid of it. During that infection, I became very sensitive to things that had never bothered me before. Tis a real pain in the ...!

Regards...

Old 07-31-2004, 07:26 AM   #8
    rush_rulz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rush_rulz HB User

Ever tried Febreeze's mold and allergen reducer? They make them for fabrics, too, you just spray it on, let it dry and then it smells like febreeze and not musty...

Closed Thread