It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Eustachian tube blockage

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-03-2004, 08:53 AM   #1
    efang
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

efang HB User
    Eustachian tube blockage

I hope anyone here can tell me , how can we know our eustachian tube is blockaded or not ? I have rhinitus and left side ear ringing, I guess my eustachian tube maybe has some kind of problem,but when I closed my nostrils and gently blow my nose, in both of my ears , there are typical " swooth" of pressure. ( sound like "POP") Is that mean my Eustachian tube has not been blockaded? I asked my ENT doctor, but he said " no, it is not a so simple question" ! he did explain to me why. do we have any non-invasive test can prove?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2004, 09:39 AM   #2
    chigs489
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chigs489 HB User
    Re: Eustachian tube blockage

It's my understanding that Eustachian Tube Dysfunction is not really an issue of blockage. It is more of a malfunction within the architecture of the inner ear, where pressure is not released properly, etc.

A doctor can look in your ear to see signs of ETD. But other tests may be necessary to know for sure. I haven't had any of the other tests done, but others here have.

Old 08-05-2004, 11:26 PM   #3
    Blondee15
    Veteran

Blondee15 HB User

well if your throat hurts, your ears feel stuffy & hurt & your sinsues are stuffy & hurting, that's ETD. but only if you have 2 or more of those symptoms. meaning your ears can hurt & be stuffy but if your throat isnt sore/ your sinuses aren't swollen, it's likely to be a local infection.
    ETD can have many causes, one of which is allergies. mine just happens to be allergy triggered.. ughhh high pollen days are miserable.. first my nose gets stuffy & then my sinuses start feeling under pressure & hurt then my ears start pounding & stuffy & then my throat gets sore & swollen. all controlled by Flonase, clarinex & sudafed severe congestion. when it gets real bad though, fluid can accumulate in the middle ear & make ya dizzy. that's the worst part! well hope this helps

Old 08-06-2004, 11:29 PM   #4
    sapphira

sapphira HB User

blondee,

i have the same problem with ETD. mine is caused by severe allergies too.

i use Flonase and Allegra. the fluid in the ear is the worst, esp. when the dizziness hits.

i empathize with you.

sapphira

Closed Thread