It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Sore throat and Nausea from PND (post nasal drip)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-12-2004, 09:18 AM   #1
    Rafael02
    (female)

Rafael02 HB User
    Sore throat and Nausea from PND (post nasal drip)

I was recently diagnosed with PND and allergies after having a sore throat with alternating stuffy nose and nausea for over a month. Can someone else suffering from the same thing please let me know of thats normal??I'm told it is but I have my doubts...I'm 25 and never had allergies before...As a side note I should add that I also had some odd kind of burning indigestion every now and and then and that the sore throat pretty much went away once Nasalcort was prescribed...thank you in advance for any assistance anyone would be able to give me...
    **ps....if what i had wasn't allergies or PND would the Nasalcort have worked?**

Last edited by Rafael02; 08-12-2004 at 09:21 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2004, 07:58 PM   #2
    CheerAngel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CheerAngel HB User
    Re: Sore throat and Nausea from PND (post nasal drip)

Hi Rafael02, I have very bad experience with mucus and PND. I still haven't found a med that totally work for me. Btw, what are you allergic to? It's not uncommon for people with rhinitis or sinusitis to have PND or stuffy nose. However I'm not sure if that's what you have. Did the doctor who diagnosed you with allergies did a skin p-r-i-c-k test? It is possible for people of any age to develop allergies. So even you have no allergies when you are young, it doesn't guarrantee that you will never develop allergies. I too have sore throats though not due to flu/cold; I just treat it by drinking more fluids and not taking too spicy food and they go away quite quickly. The nasalcort that was prescribed to you will help with the blockage, mucus production. Maybe you have the sore throat because you have been breathing thru your mouth instead of your nose. Sometimes you may not realise that you are actually breathing thru your mouth to compensate the lack of air getting thru the nose. Do you get nose blocks too? And probably since the nasalcort has helped with the blockage and mucus, you could breathe better thru your nose and not needing to breathe thru mouth. Therefore your sore throat seem to be gone. I'm not sure if your medication is called, Nasacort AQ, if it is, it's a nasal spray steroid and it does help with your symptoms even if you don't have allergies. Usually, if you have allergies, you will need an anti-histamine to stop the allergic reactions too.

Old 08-14-2004, 01:44 PM   #3
    reader1
    Veteran

reader1 HB User

The odd burning indigestion is probably gastroesophegeal reflux, which a lot of allergic/asthmatic folks get. I get it badly if I have too much PND. If the inhaled steroid you were prescribed doesn't help or stops helping, you might try some Zantac or something simila

Old 08-14-2004, 04:51 PM   #4
    wessman01
    (male)

wessman01 HB User

Hiya Rafael ... I am a 29 y/o male who at age 25 started getting stuffy nose that alternates from side to side, sore throat, clearing throat, cough, hoarseness (sometimes), and "GERD" like symptoms. They all started to develop around my 25th year. And ever since I have dealt with these symptoms on an almost daily basis. My symptoms don't exactly match yours but are pretty close. I have been told I have PND aggravated by GORD. Don't know what advice to offer except go see your doctor, don't be like me and try to live with it for 4 years and drive yourself nuts. Best of luck in life and health...

Old 08-17-2004, 02:48 PM   #5
    Rafael02
    (female)

Rafael02 HB User

thank you so much for your responses...its nice to know that im not going through this alone...i really felt like i was making myself crazy with all the self-diagnosing but you guys have really put my mind at ease.....thanks again! since my last post the everything has went away except for the occasional throat clearing and hopefully since i have more insight into whats happening with my body i will be better aware next time.....

Closed Thread