It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Anyone Tried Alternative/Complimentary Therapies for Allergies?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-09-2004, 12:23 AM   #1
    girlwondering
    (female)

girlwondering HB User
    Question Anyone Tried Alternative/Complimentary Therapies for Allergies?

Has anyone tried any alternative therapies for allergies? I think I lead a relatively healthy lifestyle and eat healthy, yet my allergies (outdoor, dust, and food) remain. My husband is encouraging me to find out more about alternative therapies.

I have heard that things like yoga and acupuncture may work, but I'm not sure. Has anyone tried anything that gives you relief? Even if it is supplemental to what the GP prescribes (me--singulair & ventolin for asthma, allegra for allergies).

Thanks in advance,
    Karie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2004, 07:14 AM   #2
    chigs489
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chigs489 HB User
    Re: Anyone Tried Alternative/Complimentary Therapies for Allergies?

I'm not a big believer in accupunture, unless it is for neuropathic pain. Yoga is good for overall health, so you may want to pursue that.

The best therapy I can recommend, is sinus irrigation. It works better than any drug, and helps combat and prevent infections.

Old 09-09-2004, 03:16 PM   #3
    Cut-Throat
    (male)

Cut-Throat HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by girlwondering
    Has anyone tried any alternative therapies for allergies? I think I lead a relatively healthy lifestyle and eat healthy, yet my allergies (outdoor, dust, and food) remain. My husband is encouraging me to find out more about alternative therapies.

I have heard that things like yoga and acupuncture may work, but I'm not sure. Has anyone tried anything that gives you relief? Even if it is supplemental to what the GP prescribes (me--singulair & ventolin for asthma, allegra for allergies).

Thanks in advance,
    Karie

Plenty of folks in these areas to take your money! - I would not go there. Get some recommendations on a better allergist. References etc. Then write the allergist and ask them if they are willing to take on a Challenge patient.

Old 09-09-2004, 04:14 PM   #4
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by girlwondering
    I have heard that things like yoga and acupuncture may work, but I'm not sure. Has anyone tried anything that gives you relief?
    I have had significant improvement in my sinus problems from Acupuncture treatments. I went to an Acupuncturist about 25 years ago, and had several treatments with the needles, which really helped me. It improved my sinus condition about 50%. Before the treatments, my sinuses were plugged up almost all the time. After the treatments, I could breathe a lot better but I still suffered from some stuffiness.

I purchased an Acupuncture machine, last year, and have had some success in treating my own sinuses. It comes with electro-pads that I stick to my skin, over the "sinuses" points. I don't use the needles on myself, only electric current through the electro-pads. I did an electro-acupuncture sinus treatment on Nov 1, 2003. The next morning, I no longer had stuffy sinuses and they have remained pretty good ever since.

I don't suggest you buy your own acupuncture device, but I wanted to share this information with you that Acupuncture, for sinusitis, can help, especially if you get a competent Acupuncturist.

Best of luck and health to you.

Last edited by Machaon; 09-09-2004 at 04:15 PM.

Old 09-10-2004, 07:54 AM   #5
    chigs489
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chigs489 HB User

do they put needles into your face? Around the eyes?

Old 09-10-2004, 08:38 AM   #6
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chiggins1066
    do they put needles into your face? Around the eyes?
    That was about 25 years ago, but I remember needles mostly in my face. They then faced a heat lamp at me, for about an hour, I think. It was a little uncomfortable, but no big deal.

I had several treatments and then I stopped because I wasn't getting any better, and I did not think that they knew what they were doing. They were locating my acupuncture points by touch, instead of by machine. Locating the points by machine is exact, but by touch it is hit or miss, IMHO.

But........ gradually over the next few weeks my sinuses improved, and have stayed improved.

I purchased my own acupuncture machine in order to treat my heart rhythm problems. I've studied the points and found significant "sinuses" points on the top of the head, on the sides of the nostrils and below the nostrils, among other places on the body.

Since I still had constant stuffiness, I wanted to try the acupuncture machine on myself. What did I have to lose? I couldn't possibly hurt myself by applying a little bit of current.

I shaved my head, and, because of multiple "sinuses" points on the forehead and the top of the head, I almost completely covered my "bald" head with electro-pads. When I applied current, it caused pain only on the left half of my head. The right half had no pain at all. According to what I have read about acupuncture, pain is a sign of a need to treat.

The next morning my sinuses were completely open, absolutely NO stuffiness, and it has remained that way almost every day since the treatment.

I am a believer.

I have always wondered if a heatpad, placed on the top of the head, could improve a sinus condition. But, I can't test it on myself, since my sinuses are doing too well. I've also wondered if there is a way to stimulate the sinus points next to the nostrils and under the nostrils, but, again, I can't test things on myself.

Oh well..........

Chig, you are constantly trying to help others, and I am sure that everyone appreciates it.

Regards, and best of luck and health to you!

Last edited by Machaon; 09-10-2004 at 08:40 AM.

Closed Thread